ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock (1/26)
Direckshun 08:37 AM 01-26-2021
I got a little creative, and I'm honestly not even sure if you can do this with Fisher, but here goes.

Assumptions:

1. The Chiefs repeat as Super Bowl champions. HC Andy Reid and GM Brett Veach are retained.

2. OC Eric Bienemy is hired by the Texans, and the Chiefs earn a 3rd compensatory round pick in 2021 and 2022.

3. The 2021 salary cap drops about $15m.

4. OT Mitchell Schwartz retires, and the Chiefs reach an injury settlement with OT Eric Fisher.

5. The Chiefs extend S Tyrann Mathieu (4 years, $58m).

6. The Chiefs tender RB Darrel Williams, WR Byron Pringle, TE Deon Yelder, OG Andrew Wylie, ILB Ben Niemann, CB Charvarius Ward.

7. The Chiefs re-sign DE Alex Okafor (1 year, $2m), S Dan Sorensen (2 years, $8m).

8. The Chiefs re-sign to minimal deals FB Anthony Sherman, OL Mike Remmers, C Daniel Kilgore, CB Antonio Hamilton.

9. The Chiefs let walk QB Matt Moore, RB Le'Veon Bell, WR Sammy Watkins, WR Demarcus Robinson, WR Marcus Kemp, WR Gehrig Deiter, TE Nick Keizer, TE Ricky Seals-Jones, OG Kelechi Osemele, OG Stefen Wisniewski, OG Bryan Witzmann, C Austin Reiter, DT Mike Pennel, DE Taco Charlton, DE Tanoh Kpassagnon, OLB Damien Wilson, CB Bashaud Breeland, CB DeAndre Baker, CB Alex Brown.

10. The Chiefs trade a 2022 conditional pick for TE OJ Howard (Buccaneers).

11. The Chiefs sign WR Curtis Samuel (Panthers) 4 years, $50m.

12. The Chiefs net two compensatory picks, a 4th (Fuller) and a 5th (Ogbah). They are picking 32nd.

The draft:

1. OT Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame
2. DE Patrick Jones, Pittsburgh
3. LB Jabril Cox, LSU
3 (Bienemy). C Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
4. WR Marlon Williams, UCF
4 (Fuller). DE Rashad Weaver, Pittsburgh
5. S Reed Blankenship, Middle Tennessee
5 (Ogbah). CB Kelvin Joseph, Kentucky
6. WR Tamarrion Terry, Florida State

QB: Mahomes, Henne
RB: Edwards-Helaire, Williams, Williams
FB: Sherman

WR: Hill, Samuel, Hardman, Pringle, Williams, Terry
TE: Kelce, Yelder, Howard

LT: Eichenberg, Remmers
LG: Allegretti, Wylie
C: Humphrey, Kilgore
RG: Duvarney-Tardif, Wylie
RT: Niang, Remmers, Rankin

DE: Clark, Jones, Weaver
DT: Jones, Wharton
DT: Nnadi, Saunders
DE: Okafor, Danna

OLB: Gay, O'Daniel
ILB: Hitchens, Niemann
OLB: Cox, Harris

CB: Sneed, Ward, Fenton, Joseph, Hamilton, Keyes
S: Mathieu, Thornhill, Sorensen, Watts, Blankenship

K: Butker
P: Townsend
LS: Winchester
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:34 AM 01-26-2021
I like it. Personally would tend towards keeping Remmers and swinging at Moton in FA instead of Samuel.

Questions re: 1st and second picks...

What DE/OT options did you see available at each of those spots (if you remember?)
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:35 AM 01-26-2021
Essentially 3 rookies starting on the offensive line with Allegretti and a guy that missed an entire season.

That would be awful. Sorry.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:36 AM 01-26-2021
And don't get me wrong, it's not the draft that I really have a problem with, it's the starting lineup.

I don't think you're just dropping 2 rooks and Niang in there day 1 and actually having them excel. They'll be worse than they are now possibly, which would be a disaster.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:41 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
1. The Chiefs repeat as Super Bowl champions. HC Andy Reid and GM Brett Veach are retained.
They both signed 5 year extensions last year so yeah, they're going to be retained for at least 5 more years.

11. The Chiefs sign WR Curtis Samuel 4 years, $50m.
And $12.5 million per year for a guy that has 14 TD's in 4 years?

:-)
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:19 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I like it. Personally would tend towards keeping Remmers and swinging at Moton in FA instead of Samuel.

Questions re: 1st and second picks...

What DE/OT options did you see available at each of those spots (if you remember?)
Well keep in mind, this is just going off The Draft Network's mock, so it's all just a big simulation.

I remember virtually no Spags-preferred DEs on the board at this slot. A couple WR and S options, and several tackles available.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:21 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Essentially 3 rookies starting on the offensive line with Allegretti and a guy that missed an entire season.

And don't get me wrong, it's not the draft that I really have a problem with, it's the starting lineup.

I don't think you're just dropping 2 rooks and Niang in there day 1 and actually having them excel. They'll be worse than they are now possibly, which would be a disaster.
Well first of all, Eichenberg is a plug-and-play. He's ready day one.

I am keeping Remmers in this simulation, however, in the off chance that Niang doesn't have it. If Niang doesn't show out, I'll swap him with Remmers on the depth chart.

Humphrey would be a legit rookie, however, not one who's ready Day One like Eichenberg, but that's why I kept Kilgore for pennies on the dollar.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:24 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
And $12.5 million per year for a guy that has 14 TD's in 4 years?
100%

I don't know if you were willing to pay Clark, Mathieu, or Watkins their per-years at the time we signed them, but I thought we overpaid in all three cases when we signed them.

Veach is willing to pay retail price if it means slotting someone who's perfect for the team.

And Curtis Samuel would do soooooooooo much damage in this scheme. He's an absolute perfect fit, we have the need for him, and there's going to be a bidding war for him.
[Reply]
Jamie 02:02 PM 01-26-2021
I don't think we can re-sign Remmers for vet minimum. Especially if we win the Super Bowl with him playing LT. I think he'll have a nice market as a swing tackle, and some teams might see him as a short-term starting RT. I don't think he'll get a huge contract or anything, but I'd expect him to do better than the $2.5 million Dallas gave Cam Erving.
[Reply]
mkp785 02:06 PM 01-26-2021
100%

I don't know if you were willing to pay Clark, Mathieu, or Watkins their per-years at the time we signed them, but I thought we overpaid in all three cases when we signed them.

Veach is willing to pay retail price if it means slotting someone who's perfect for the team.

And Curtis Samuel would do soooooooooo much damage in this scheme. He's an absolute perfect fit, we have the need for him, and there's going to be a bidding war for him.
Those contracts haven't been that bad. The Sammy contract has been disappointing-with the exception of last years Superbowl. HB has been a godsend and Frank, while overpaid, shows up when we really need him. I absolutely think that we need to grab his replacement/just more help in the draft-possibly in the 1st round.

As to Curtis, I agree with Dane that's too much. We can just as easily grab someone in the draft in the 1st if need be. I'd rather do that and put the 12.5 towards the line. Linsley is a FA, and while GB will likely resign him- who knows what they do since they paid Bhaktari a fortune and now Arod has gone diva on them again.

I also don't see why you let Baker go. He should be completely healthy by the early portion of the season. He's young, has an excellent pedigree and kept his nose clean while he was here. More importantly, he played very well in his short time with us, netting a sack in his only 2 quarters he played. He won't cost us much and if he hits, we found a lockdown DB who can blitz.
[Reply]
Direckshun 02:07 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Jamie:
I don't think we can re-sign Remmers for vet minimum. Especially if we win the Super Bowl with him playing LT. I think he'll have a nice market as a swing tackle, and some teams might see him as a short-term starting RT. I don't think he'll get a huge contract or anything, but I'd expect him to do better than the $2.5 million Dallas gave Cam Erving.
Maaaaan we gotta keep him. If some team wants to pay him starter money, our hands are tied, but if we can keep him, we must.

We absolutely have to. He's played both tackles and at least one guard spot for us this year. He's way too versatile and he's been a revelation for us.
[Reply]
Direckshun 02:11 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by mkp785:
Those contracts haven't been that bad. The Sammy contract has been disappointing-with the exception of last years Superbowl. HB has been a godsend and Frank, while overpaid, shows up when we really need him. I absolutely think that we need to grab his replacement/just more help in the draft-possibly in the 1st round.
I think this is all reasonable, but again: did you think they were too much when we signed them?

I do agree that they have been "worth it" now that we know they end up with at least one Super Bowl victory.

But at the time, I quoted the adage that I "love the player, hate the contract" with all three guys.

I can't hold you to this because I don't know you, but be honest. Did you think those three contracts were too much when we signed them?

I think that contract is absolutely paying retail for Samuels, but I'm telling you guys, he fits like a glove for what we like to do offensively. His numbers are going to shoot up and he's the guy that beats Richard Sherman to win the Super Bowl. He just needs a better offensive system to bring that out of him. It will prove to be worth it, I think.
[Reply]
mkp785 02:23 PM 01-26-2021
I think this is all reasonable, but again: did you think they were too much when we signed them?

I do agree that they have been "worth it" now that we know they end up with at least one Super Bowl victory.

But at the time, I quoted the adage that I "love the player, hate the contract" with all three guys.

I can't hold you to this because I don't know you, but be honest. Did you think those three contracts were too much when we signed them?

I think that contract is absolutely paying retail for Samuels, but I'm telling you guys, he fits like a glove for what we like to do offensively. His numbers are going to shoot up and he's the guy that beats Richard Sherman to win the Super Bowl. He just needs a better offensive system to bring that out of him. It will prove to be worth it, I think.
I didnt like the Sammy contract. Even more so after OBJ was traded as I wanted him instead. They've been about equal in usefulness. Frank, I was fine with the money but thought we gave up too much in draft goods. That said, I know that we needed the guy and understood why they did it.

As to Badger, I liked it but had no idea he'd be anywhere as good as he has been and would be able to stay as healthy as he has.

I get that we need another WR, but resources should be better spent on our devastated line. I'd agree with the rest of these guys that we should go after Moton, but I have serious doubts that Carolina won't resign him. They're paying CMC a ton and might go QB in the 1st. They need blockers up front.
[Reply]
Hoover 02:25 PM 01-26-2021

Agree. This is why I can see Veach spending FA money on the offensive line vs WR. Draft that WR, let Mahomes. develop a star. I also think if we are trading for OJ Howard we have to be extending him because he's pretty spendy for a one year 5th option...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:53 PM 01-26-2021
100%

You're fucking insane.

Curtis Samuel will be lucky to get even $6 million per. $12.5 is insanity.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up