ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock (1/26)
Direckshun 08:37 AM 01-26-2021
I got a little creative, and I'm honestly not even sure if you can do this with Fisher, but here goes.

Assumptions:

1. The Chiefs repeat as Super Bowl champions. HC Andy Reid and GM Brett Veach are retained.

2. OC Eric Bienemy is hired by the Texans, and the Chiefs earn a 3rd compensatory round pick in 2021 and 2022.

3. The 2021 salary cap drops about $15m.

4. OT Mitchell Schwartz retires, and the Chiefs reach an injury settlement with OT Eric Fisher.

5. The Chiefs extend S Tyrann Mathieu (4 years, $58m).

6. The Chiefs tender RB Darrel Williams, WR Byron Pringle, TE Deon Yelder, OG Andrew Wylie, ILB Ben Niemann, CB Charvarius Ward.

7. The Chiefs re-sign DE Alex Okafor (1 year, $2m), S Dan Sorensen (2 years, $8m).

8. The Chiefs re-sign to minimal deals FB Anthony Sherman, OL Mike Remmers, C Daniel Kilgore, CB Antonio Hamilton.

9. The Chiefs let walk QB Matt Moore, RB Le'Veon Bell, WR Sammy Watkins, WR Demarcus Robinson, WR Marcus Kemp, WR Gehrig Deiter, TE Nick Keizer, TE Ricky Seals-Jones, OG Kelechi Osemele, OG Stefen Wisniewski, OG Bryan Witzmann, C Austin Reiter, DT Mike Pennel, DE Taco Charlton, DE Tanoh Kpassagnon, OLB Damien Wilson, CB Bashaud Breeland, CB DeAndre Baker, CB Alex Brown.

10. The Chiefs trade a 2022 conditional pick for TE OJ Howard (Buccaneers).

11. The Chiefs sign WR Curtis Samuel (Panthers) 4 years, $50m.

12. The Chiefs net two compensatory picks, a 4th (Fuller) and a 5th (Ogbah). They are picking 32nd.

The draft:

1. OT Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame
2. DE Patrick Jones, Pittsburgh
3. LB Jabril Cox, LSU
3 (Bienemy). C Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
4. WR Marlon Williams, UCF
4 (Fuller). DE Rashad Weaver, Pittsburgh
5. S Reed Blankenship, Middle Tennessee
5 (Ogbah). CB Kelvin Joseph, Kentucky
6. WR Tamarrion Terry, Florida State

QB: Mahomes, Henne
RB: Edwards-Helaire, Williams, Williams
FB: Sherman

WR: Hill, Samuel, Hardman, Pringle, Williams, Terry
TE: Kelce, Yelder, Howard

LT: Eichenberg, Remmers
LG: Allegretti, Wylie
C: Humphrey, Kilgore
RG: Duvarney-Tardif, Wylie
RT: Niang, Remmers, Rankin

DE: Clark, Jones, Weaver
DT: Jones, Wharton
DT: Nnadi, Saunders
DE: Okafor, Danna

OLB: Gay, O'Daniel
ILB: Hitchens, Niemann
OLB: Cox, Harris

CB: Sneed, Ward, Fenton, Joseph, Hamilton, Keyes
S: Mathieu, Thornhill, Sorensen, Watts, Blankenship

K: Butker
P: Townsend
LS: Winchester
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:13 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
You're fucking insane.

Curtis Samuel will be lucky to get even $6 million per. $12.5 is insanity.

I think that’s in range of AAV I’ve seen projected for him, actually. 10-11M. If you’re projecting a bidding war...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:22 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I think that’s in range of AAV I’ve seen projected for him, actually. 10-11M. If you’re projecting a bidding war...
Yeah, and I've seen Reiter at $11.8 million per as well.

Neither have much of a chance of happening but if they do, more power to their agents because I wouldn't pay them $12 million combined.

Curtis Samuel has nearly the same number of TD's (12 vs. 11) as Demarcus Robinson, and the best deal he could find during the 2020 offseason was the $2.2 million dollar exception he took with the Chiefs.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:57 PM 01-27-2021
1. There is no reason to reach an injury settlement with Fisher. That doesn't happen for players with 4+ accrued seasons (i.e. only for non-vested players subject to waivers).

2. There has been nothing out of the Schwartz camp indicating probable retirement. I'm equally concerned, but there was some thought he may be able to return for some part of the playoffs or Super Bowl. Reid said he wasn't optimistic Schwartz would return for the SB though, just a couple days ago. We don't know what the back injury is or if it's something to worry about long-term. I have my feeling it may be a cracked vertebrae that took a little long to heal or there was swelling around the injury for longer than expected. I don't know that it would be a retirement item but not playing on it until next season may be the best thing for him. At this point, I expect him back until we hear otherwise. I may be optimistic, but I have to hang onto something after the Fisher injury.

3. The Chiefs will not tender all of RB Darrel Williams, WR Byron Pringle, TE Deon Yelder, OG Andrew Wylie, ILB Ben Niemann, and CB Charvarius Ward. You do realize the costs with this? They are all RFAs and the minimum tender for them is $2.24 m each. Ones that require a 2nd round are 3.42 and 1st round are 4.87 m. I see Wylie and Ward as getting 2nd round tenders and none of the rest being tendered. I think the rest will be allowed to reach free agency and then given minimal offers from the Chiefs. Williams might get a more significant contract like a 3 yr deal.

4. I find it more than probable that the Chiefs are able to use the 4-year qualifying contract veteran salary benefit again on Robinson. The receiver market looks to be pretty thick and the draft is loaded again, so the chances of him getting any significant offer is probably slim. That allows a team to pay vet minimum base, $137,500 in bonus money, and 1.25 million more to up to 2 players in combination and have the cap hit(s) be the same as the VSB. They did exactly this and used the entire 1.25 in Robinson's contract last year. If they do it again, he'll make 2,377,500 and only count for 1,127,500.

5. I think (stress think) that Baker is an ERFA. I'm not 100% because apparently it depends on the contract he signed but the prevailing thought is he might be controllable by KC which is a big reason for signing him to the PS.

6. I'm beginning to have this suspicion, especially given him taking snaps there in camp and so forth, that Allegretti is your starting Center in 2021. He just so happened to be needed at LG with all the injuries. I have to admit, he's looked really good as a guard. I'm guessing if they retain Wylie and LDT returns (as he's mentioned), then they'll put Allegretti at Center, get a vet backup, and then draft a guard prospect in the mid-rounds. Of course, I could be entirely wrong.

7. Curtis Samuel for that money is foolish at best. It's even more foolish when you can probably go get a guy like Higgins for half that (I'd be intrigued there). That said, I think Veach takes shots on low-priced prove-it guys like John Ross (he does love his 1st round reclamation projects doesn't he?).

8. I wouldn't mind that draft at all. Whether or not Bienemy leaves is yet to be determined, so I'm not banking on that. I'm also quite sure we have a 7th (doesn't transfer) round pick but not our 6th (trade for Keyes) but let me know if I'm wrong there.
[Reply]
Hoover 08:39 AM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
1. There is no reason to reach an injury settlement with Fisher. That doesn't happen for players with 4+ accrued seasons (i.e. only for non-vested players subject to waivers).

2. There has been nothing out of the Schwartz camp indicating probable retirement. I'm equally concerned, but there was some thought he may be able to return for some part of the playoffs or Super Bowl. Reid said he wasn't optimistic Schwartz would return for the SB though, just a couple days ago. We don't know what the back injury is or if it's something to worry about long-term. I have my feeling it may be a cracked vertebrae that took a little long to heal or there was swelling around the injury for longer than expected. I don't know that it would be a retirement item but not playing on it until next season may be the best thing for him. At this point, I expect him back until we hear otherwise. I may be optimistic, but I have to hang onto something after the Fisher injury.

3. The Chiefs will not tender all of RB Darrel Williams, WR Byron Pringle, TE Deon Yelder, OG Andrew Wylie, ILB Ben Niemann, and CB Charvarius Ward. You do realize the costs with this? They are all RFAs and the minimum tender for them is $2.24 m each. Ones that require a 2nd round are 3.42 and 1st round are 4.87 m. I see Wylie and Ward as getting 2nd round tenders and none of the rest being tendered. I think the rest will be allowed to reach free agency and then given minimal offers from the Chiefs. Williams might get a more significant contract like a 3 yr deal.

4. I find it more than probable that the Chiefs are able to use the 4-year qualifying contract veteran salary benefit again on Robinson. The receiver market looks to be pretty thick and the draft is loaded again, so the chances of him getting any significant offer is probably slim. That allows a team to pay vet minimum base, $137,500 in bonus money, and 1.25 million more to up to 2 players in combination and have the cap hit(s) be the same as the VSB. They did exactly this and used the entire 1.25 in Robinson's contract last year. If they do it again, he'll make 2,377,500 and only count for 1,127,500.

5. I think (stress think) that Baker is an ERFA. I'm not 100% because apparently it depends on the contract he signed but the prevailing thought is he might be controllable by KC which is a big reason for signing him to the PS.

6. I'm beginning to have this suspicion, especially given him taking snaps there in camp and so forth, that Allegretti is your starting Center in 2021. He just so happened to be needed at LG with all the injuries. I have to admit, he's looked really good as a guard. I'm guessing if they retain Wylie and LDT returns (as he's mentioned), then they'll put Allegretti at Center, get a vet backup, and then draft a guard prospect in the mid-rounds. Of course, I could be entirely wrong.

7. Curtis Samuel for that money is foolish at best. It's even more foolish when you can probably go get a guy like Higgins for half that (I'd be intrigued there). That said, I think Veach takes shots on low-priced prove-it guys like John Ross (he does love his 1st round reclamation projects doesn't he?).

8. I wouldn't mind that draft at all. Whether or not Bienemy leaves is yet to be determined, so I'm not banking on that. I'm also quite sure we have a 7th (doesn't transfer) round pick but not our 6th (trade for Keyes) but let me know if I'm wrong there.
Great post!
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:53 AM 01-28-2021

Re: Fisher, what about extending him to add a year or 2 to the contract, convert a big chunk of his 21 salary to signing bonus, and spread out the hit?
[Reply]
kccrow 10:36 AM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Re: Fisher, what about extending him to add a year or 2 to the contract, convert a big chunk of his 21 salary to signing bonus, and spread out the hit?
I fully expect they will ask him to restructure his deal in some way but I'm not sure they'll do an extension. I'm more inclined to think they'll want him to take a hit on 2021 salary and little else, especially given the uncertainty of returning from an Achilles injury. This keeps them from cutting him to save money and he still makes something for a season of rehab.

If throughout the process he shows he can return to form, then I think an extension would be in order but that's something probably not in the realm of thought out of the gate. It's unfortunate because this is a guy they were probably looking at handing a 4 to 5-year extension to and lowering that cap hit and now his entire future is in the air.

If I'm a betting man, they probably ask him to take a pay cut to turn that 11 million base into something like 2 million, maybe with some added per-game active roster bonuses in the event he does return and play.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:41 PM 01-28-2021
I fully expect they will ask him to restructure his deal in some way but I'm not sure they'll do an extension. I'm more inclined to think they'll want him to take a hit on 2021 salary and little else, especially given the uncertainty of returning from an Achilles injury. This keeps them from cutting him to save money and he still makes something for a season of rehab.

If throughout the process he shows he can return to form, then I think an extension would be in order but that's something probably not in the realm of thought out of the gate. It's unfortunate because this is a guy they were probably looking at handing a 4 to 5-year extension to and lowering that cap hit and now his entire future is in the air.

If I'm a betting man, they probably ask him to take a pay cut to turn that 11 million base into something like 2 million, maybe with some added per-game active roster bonuses in the event he does return and play.
That's what I'd do. Try to negotiate his contract down to essentially a one-year deal with incentives to lower the cap hit and if he can come back, give him an extension later.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:43 PM 01-28-2021
If you want an OT in the 1st, Darrisaw is the guy who fits our scheme.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:00 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
If you want an OT in the 1st, Darrisaw is the guy who fits our scheme.
Except there's a solid chance he's the #2 tackle off the board and a top 15 pick. I mean, if he's there, then yeah its a no-brainer. I doubt that's the case.
[Reply]
Mecca 05:13 PM 01-28-2021
Except there's a solid chance he's the #2 tackle off the board and a top 15 pick. I mean, if he's there, then yeah its a no-brainer. I doubt that's the case.
Nah Sewell and Slater seem to be 1-2 as of now.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:38 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Nah Sewell and Slater seem to be 1-2 as of now.
I don't think Slater is long enough to play tackle in the NFL and goes a bit later than thought at the moment, but you never know.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up