ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Ranking Our Needs
Direckshun 12:44 PM 01-25-2021
My armchair assessment.

1. OT

On roster: Lucas Niang, Martinas Rankin, Eric Fisher (injured), Mitchell Schwartz (retiring?)
RFA:
UFA: Mike Remmers
? Prince Tega Wanogho (can't figure out if he's under contract for 2021)

2. DE

On roster: Frank Clark, Mike Danna, Tim Ward
RFA:
UFA: Tanoh Kpassagnon, Alex Okafor, Taco Charlton, Demone Harris
? Austin Edwards

3. WR

On roster: Tyreek Hill, Mecole Hardman
RFA: Byron Pringle
UFA: Sammy Watkins, Demarcus Robinson, Marcus Kemp, Gehrig Dieter
? Maurice Ffrench, Jody Fortson, Tajae Sharpe

4. LB

On roster: Anthony Hitchens, Willie Gay Jr., Emmanuel Smith, Dorian O'Daniel
RFA: Ben Niemann, Darius Harris
UFA: Damien Wilson
? Omari Cobb

5. IOL

On roster: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Nick Allegretti, Yasir Durant
RFA: Andrew Wylie
UFA: Austin Reiter, Kelechi Osemele, Stefen Wisniewski, Daniel Kilgore, Bryan Witzmann
? Patrick Omameh

6. CB

On roster: L'Jarius Sneed, Rashad Fenton, Bopete Keyes
RFA: Charvarius Ward, Alex Brown
UFA: Bashaud Breeland, Antonio Hamilton, Deandre Baker
?

7. S

On roster: Tyrann Mathieu, Juan Thornhill, Armani Watts
RFA:
UFA: Daniel Sorensen
? Chris Lammons

8. TE

On roster: Travis Kelce
RFA: Nick Keizer, Deon Yelder
UFA: Ricky Seals-Jones
? Evan Baylis

9. DT

On roster: Chris Jones, Tershawn Wharton, Derrick Nnadi, Khalen Saunders
RFA:
UFA: Mike Pennel
?

10. RB

On roster: Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Damien Williams, Darwin Thompson
RFA: Darrel Williams
UFA: Le'Veon Bell
? Elijah McGuire

11. QB

On roster: Patrick Mahomes, Chad Henne
RFA:
UFA: Matt Moore
?
[Reply]
staylor26 01:40 PM 01-28-2021
Niang has apparently being working out and looked to be in good shape in videos posted in December.

I think he comes in and starts somewhere next year (day 1 or eventually).
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:41 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Here's the thing-
We don't know what we have in Niang. I do know that he's first round caliber talent that fell to the 3rd because of a hip injury. I also know it's probably not likely he would've been able to contribute much this season.

I SUSPECT that his opting out was discussed and approved as a roster move with Veach and the front office. Like as a medical redshirt year. I have no proof of that, it's just a suspicion. Consider it my 'Veach-anon' conspiracy.

and I can't help but think when I watch his tape-Damn he looks just like Willie Roaf. Which is a ridiculous comparison and totally unfair to the kid, as Roaf was the best offensive tackle I ever saw in my life.

And yet, for all of this, I don't want to just hand him a starting spot. And I STILL want to take a legit (i.e. early) offensive tackle in this draft. Maybe a Mayfield, or an Eichenberg, but no later than the 2nd round. And I want to bring Remmers back.

That's all. Just my thoughts.
I agree with everything but the last paragraph. I don't want them locked in on an OT if it's "no later than the 2nd round".

I don't want them locked in on any position, for that matter.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:57 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I agree with everything but the last paragraph. I don't want them locked in on an OT if it's "no later than the 2nd round".

I don't want them locked in on any position, for that matter.
I guarantee that Veach has pockets of players he likes and that he's targeting in certain rounds along with contingency plans.

I would be shocked if offensive tackle isn't in his plans at all. I'd be really surprised if it's not in the forefront of his mind.

There's a difference between REACHING and having targets in anticipation of how the board may fall.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:06 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I guarantee that Veach has pockets of players he likes and that he's targeting in certain rounds along with contingency plans.

I would be shocked if offensive tackle isn't in his plans at all. I'd be really surprised if it's not in the forefront of his mind.

There's a difference between REACHING and having targets in anticipation of how the board may fall.
What if that offensive tackle is in the 3rd round? Do you not take him since you said "no later than the 2nd"?

That's what I'm getting at. Just stick to the board and take the guys that are there. If that's a tackle in the 1st great but if not, no biggie. Stick to the board.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:53 PM 01-28-2021
What if that offensive tackle is in the 3rd round? Do you not take him since you said "no later than the 2nd"?

That's what I'm getting at. Just stick to the board and take the guys that are there. If that's a tackle in the 1st great but if not, no biggie. Stick to the board.
True to a certain extent but teams still draft for need. Not necessarily is it this year's need, but almost certainly it'll be next year's (a huge MO of Veach btw).

I think you look at it like this: In round 1, what player will most help my team this year, and thereafter, what players best help my team next year. Whatever guy fits the bill that is highest on your board you take. It may not be the highest guy on your board, but he's probably in the top few.

I don't think I could have said with a straight face last year that Clyde was a better prospect than Tee Higgins was and I'm kinda doubting that was the case on the Chiefs board either. That said, Clyde was a guy that Mahomes wanted and a guy that could help the Chiefs maintain a stable, if not dynamic, rushing attack given the injury history of Williams going in all while having all the receivers in the world necessary to succeed this year. Personally, I would have taken Higgins knowing my future need at WR and considering RB to require less valuable resources. However, the Chiefs' decision to take a RB probably was the reason for their success this year with Williams opting out and so here we are.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:14 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
True to a certain extent but teams still draft for need. Not necessarily is it this year's need, but almost certainly it'll be next year's (a huge MO of Veach btw).

I think you look at it like this: In round 1, what player will most help my team this year, and thereafter, what players best help my team next year. Whatever guy fits the bill that is highest on your board you take. It may not be the highest guy on your board, but he's probably in the top few.

I don't think I could have said with a straight face last year that Clyde was a better prospect than Tee Higgins was and I'm kinda doubting that was the case on the Chiefs board either. That said, Clyde was a guy that Mahomes wanted and a guy that could help the Chiefs maintain a stable, if not dynamic, rushing attack given the injury history of Williams going in all while having all the receivers in the world necessary to succeed this year. Personally, I would have taken Higgins knowing my future need at WR and considering RB to require less valuable resources. However, the Chiefs' decision to take a RB probably was the reason for their success this year with Williams opting out and so here we are.
I know team's draft for need all the time.

Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. :-)
[Reply]
kccrow 10:39 PM 01-28-2021
I know team's draft for need all the time.

Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. :-)
Touche' haha.

I get where you're at with it though.

That said, there is always a need aspect. For instance, there are a few players I'd get pretty hung up on in certain scenarios, such as Jaelan Phillips and Jalen Mayfield both sitting there. And, that could very well end up the case. Both fit a relatively immediate need. Both are good players. Both positions are hard to truly fill with a starter outside of round 1 (not that it doesn't happen). I think, in that scenario, you go back to your board and see who ended up higher and you take that guy. That doesn't mean there may not be another guy higher on my board. I might have Najee Harris rated higher than either. Am I really going to take him? No, but he's going to sit up there and he's more of a trade back reference than anything. So, sticking to the board is always relative. It should't affect the Chiefs too much, as they'll have needs just about everywhere, but QB and RB in 1 are not among them. A big reason I'm not a follower of the draft the BPA only line of thought.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:21 PM 01-28-2021
Yeah, I'm not advocating a pure BPA approach.

Obviously need has to come into play, I just don't believe in sacrificing a lot of value because of need.

I know nobody else really disagrees with that. We just don't necessarily agree with how much value an OT provides in the first this year.

We're likely to have a new starter at center and Niang at RT, if he steps up.

I'm not comfortable with a rookie LT. I think DE is a bigger need and has more value. Add that to the current situation, and I just wouldn't put that much priority on OT.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:45 AM 01-29-2021
Reading more now about Phillips concussion history. It sounds like he’s in the same spot Morse was when they let him go...

Where the next one may be the one that ends him. Don’t think the Chiefs can take a risk like that round 1.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up