ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Media Center>Hamilton
Cheater5 08:29 AM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
It's good regardless. If you don't like rap music, you can still have respect for the skill and fluidity of the lyrics, similar to Eminem, Dr. Dre, Jay-Z, etc. Is it going to be your favorite musical of all time if you don't have an affinity for rap music? Probably not, but you can still watch it, enjoy it, and at least say you've seen it. It uses more intelligent language in the lyrics than you'll find in 95% of rap music I feel.

Why spend my money on something I inherently don't enjoy? You mention Eminem, Dr. Dre and Jay Z as people I should respect-- to my knowledge, and I am not exaggerating-- I haven't listened to even one of their songs in it's entirety.

ETA I just read the lyrics to 'My Mom' by Eminem. It does not instill me with respect for his skill and fluidity. In fact, it confirmed my previous thoughts on the 'art' form.
[Reply]
Ebolapox 08:35 AM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Cheater5:
Why spend my money on something I inherently don't enjoy? You mention Eminem, Dr. Dre and Jay Z as people I should respect-- to my knowledge, and I am not exaggerating-- I haven't listened to even one of their songs in it's entirety.

ETA I just read the lyrics to 'My Mom' by Eminem. It does not instill me with respect for his skill and fluidity. In fact, it confirmed my previous thoughts on the 'art' form.
that's your eminem magnum opus, the one you're going to hold as what his wordplay does?

rap god (and his insane delivery) would be my choice. however, I find others are better with wordplay (love me some childish gambino)
[Reply]
Gravedigger 09:42 AM 07-09-2020

It's apart of Disney Plus, which is $7 a month, so not a terrible investment, worst case scenario is you can borrow your friends account to watch it like all streaming services, so your first excuse isn't really viable.

I don't inherently enjoy Country music or United States Women's Soccer, but I've been to concerts and watched games to see what all the commotion is about. I didn't turtle up in to a private safe space shell as to not offend my own outlook on the world and how I want to see it versus what it actually is. For every Beyonce song, there's a monster truck rally, I'm not going to rule out either just because I don't follow them.

You can have respect for rappers and other musician's even if you can't relate to their music. Does Eminem have some twisted lyrics about killing people, yeah, but I'm not going to say all his music is worthless and not worth my time just because I don't agree with one song. Life isn't always an all or nothing approach and shouldn't be treated that way. I care to experience most things life has to offer, but I was replying to the OP, not to your bubble.
[Reply]
Sorry 11:03 PM 07-10-2020

Just admit you have no rhythm and stop talking about a genre of music you have no clue about.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:21 AM 07-11-2020
Originally Posted by Sorry:
Just admit you have no rhythm and stop talking about a genre of music you have no clue about.
Personally I'm holding out for the hard rock version of MLK! starring Ted Nugent as King and Gene Simmons as Jessie Jackson.

Should be a hoot.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 12:40 AM 07-11-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Personally I'm holding out for the hard rock version of MLK! starring Ted Nugent as King and Gene Simmons as Jessie Jackson.

Should be a hoot.
I think Lin Manuel Miranda and Leslie Odom Jr. have much more respect for the source material than Ted Nugent and Gene Simmons would have for civil rights. Might be obvious to say, but someone has to say it on this board from time to time.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:58 AM 07-09-2020
i usually can't understand what they're saying when they rap

i prefer traditional musicals, like The Phantom of The Opera

and before you accuse me of racism, know that I saw a production with a black man as The Phantom

hard pass
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:23 AM 07-10-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
i usually can't understand what they're saying when they rap

i prefer traditional musicals, like The Phantom of The Opera

and before you accuse me of racism, know that I saw a production with a black man as The Phantom

hard pass
Do you listen to any rap music at all? Do you enjoy the genre at all? Did you enjoy Rent?

I think a lot of people are going to be put off this musical simply because they don't enjoy that style of music.

/though I'm fairly certain you aren't racist... I don't think you having watched Phantom with a black lead is going to grant you the absolution you seek had you been accused of being one. lolol
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:07 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Do you listen to any rap music at all? Do you enjoy the genre at all? Did you enjoy Rent?

I think a lot of people are going to be put off this musical simply because they don't enjoy that style of music.
Someone grabbing their junk while spewing obscenities over a sampled beat hardly qualifies as "music", friend.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 10:14 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Someone grabbing their junk while spewing obscenities over a sampled beat hardly qualifies as "music", friend.
I didn't realize you were the gatekeeper for what is and isn't music based on a, apparently, extremely small sample size (if that is what you really think rap music is about).

Tell me, friend, can you tell me a little about your experience with rap? Like, what songs or what groups have influenced your opinion on this music.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:13 AM 07-13-2020
If you're over age 50 and someone said Hamilton, do you think of Milk Shakes or Rap Music?

[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 06:01 PM 07-13-2020
Well damn. This guy has just solved why a genre has been around for 30+ years.

While I'll admit there is plenty of bad rap i can say that for any genre of music. True rappers are wordsmiths and there are a ton of different techniques and intricacies.
[Reply]
|Zach| 06:58 PM 07-15-2020
We get it you don't like the blacks. Just call it what it is.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:10 AM 07-09-2020
Anybody go see it when the music hall last summer?

Honestly, Lin-Manuel Miranda just cannot !@#$ing sing. At all. He's nasal and tinny and just not a good singer. He takes away from the performance in a big way, IMO. Joseph Morales played Hamilton in KC and he was a far better singer. Perhaps not as good a performer, but close enough.

The guy that played Burr in Kansas City was just bigger and more physically imposing. It gave him a little more power in his performance than Leslie Odom had in the original cast as Burr. It created a better contrast, IMO. Again - Odom was the better performer and actor, but I liked the size/presence disparity that the guy in the live version brought.

Eliza Schuyler, OTOH, just friggen kills it from the original cast. She's incredible and clearly a step up over the live version replacement.

Most of the others were not noticeable steps up or down either way. There's something strangely offputting about the high-angle, high-def close-ups that show them sweating buckets throughout, but there's pretty much unavoidable.

But otherwise - yeah...that's the play. And intermission was only a minute long instead of an hour long necessitated by a power outage during a massive rainstorm like the live version we saw, so that was nice. I preferred the live version and when it comes back through, I'd recommend anyone who enjoyed this to go see it because a theater show really does do better in a theater most of the time, but this was a pretty good recording and re-presentation. It captured enough to be worth the time.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:19 AM 07-09-2020
It's incredible. But I'm a theatre geek and had seen it twice in-person, so this isn't a new opinion.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up