ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2573 of 3903
« First < 1573207324732523256325692570257125722573 257425752576257725832623267330733573 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 03:50 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
What do you do with a kid with a sniffle or diarrhea quarantine for 14 days at home or test them every week? What if half the class has a soar throat etc. Keep them all home anyways.?
Considering the data shows it is very unlikely half the class will have a sore throat as a result of Covid I would say it won't happen much.

Secondly you can what if this thing until the end of time.
[Reply]
cdcox 04:00 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Schools are about to become just as politicized as masks.

I hate this. I hate everything about this. I hate the people trying to fan the flames of fear. I hate the people that say "it's just the flu". I don't know who or what to believe from any source whatsoever. Everything has to be a politicized pissing match.
We know that social distancing and mask wearing are necessary when you bring people together. At my university we are reducing classroom capacity by 70% and requiring masks. Only about 1/4 of our classes will be fully face-to-face; the rest will be online and hybrid. We have hundreds of people that have been fully devoted to planning and implementation since mid May. Our students are 18 years old and up. Despite all this, we're not certain we will be successful.

I'm not sure if K-12 schools have the resources to do this level of planning and flexibility in operations. But even if they do, you have added complication of elementary school kids. Draw your own conclusions.
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:09 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
So you "know" they spread it because you are friends with someone? Okay

I don't know what to tell you Pete. It is not like the experts haven't been saying for months that younger people need to Social distance etc so they don't bring the virus home to their parents and grand parents. I think I hear that 10x per day.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:14 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
So you disagree.....thats ok
JFC, are you kidding with this nonsense?

The virus is already spreading like wildfire and you think it's "okay" for nearly 800, 000 people to return to LAUSD schools?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:16 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Like I said....the bay area didnt open like you guys. Our gyms never re-opened. They were going to re open on July 1st but then it got held in check. The only bars serving up here were a small handful that had outdoor seating only.....but go ahead and run around and scream...it might help
:-)

It's people like your dumb fucking ass that are responsible for cases blowing up.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:17 PM 07-12-2020
School Children Don’t Spread Coronavirus, French Study Shows
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ch-study-shows

This study actually states kids are more likely to be infected by their parents rather than the other way around.
This is most important line in the entire article you linked:

Epidemiologist Arnaud Fontanet and colleagues said more studies on schools were needed because of the small number of cases they were able to study.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:19 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
This is most important line in the entire article you linked:

Epidemiologist Arnaud Fontanet and colleagues said more studies on schools were needed because of the small number of cases they were able to study.
I don't disagree but the studies we have seen have not shown the justification for some to be making the completely opposite opinion. Again, in cases like where you are and Phoenix I would not be so keen on opening schools.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:21 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I don't know what to tell you Pete. It is not like the experts haven't been saying for months that younger people need to Social distance etc so they don't bring the virus home to their parents and grand parents. I think I hear that 10x per day.
You said "you know they spread it". You don't know. For all you know they got it from an adult. And studies done by other experts are saying it is not quite the worry as you are making it out to be.

Quit being so God damn paranoid about every little thing.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:21 PM 07-12-2020
I don't disagree but the studies we have seen have not shown the justification for some to be making the completely opposite opinion. Again, in cases like where you are and Phoenix I would not be so keen on opening schools.
That's why anyone making a blanket statement is acting the fool.

Cases won't spread in lightly populated areas like they do in the US population centers, which have seen a record number of cases in the past week, with no signs of slowing down in sight.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:25 PM 07-12-2020
That's why anyone making a blanket statement is acting the fool.

Cases won't spread in lightly populated areas like they do in the US population centers, which have seen a record number of cases in the past week, with no signs of slowing down in sight.
Which is why I think you have to take it on a case-case basis for each locality.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:32 PM 07-12-2020
Which is why I think you have to take it on a case-case basis for each locality.
And this is my biggest concern with the virus because there's just not enough information available to indicate that children will be safe if returned to schools in August.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/12/healt...ren/index.html

First cases of coronavirus-related inflammatory syndrome identified in children in South Carolina

Two children in South Carolina have been diagnosed with the coronavirus-related pediatric inflammatory syndrome, according to the state's Department of Health and Environmental Control.

The children are both under the age of 10, DHEC said in a news release Sunday. One is located in the Midlands region in central South Carolina. The other is in the Pee Dee region in the northeastern part of the state. Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children, or MIS-C, is a potential complication seen in some children and teenagers following Covid-19 infections or exposure to those with Covid-19. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a health advisory to doctors across the country in May, warning them to be on the lookout for the syndrome. Symptoms include fever, stomach pain, vomiting, a rash and fatigue, according to the CDC.

"We continue to see more and more young people, especially those under 20, contracting and spreading COVID-19, and we know MIS-C is a threat to our youngest South Carolinians," State Epidemiologist Dr. Linda Bell said in a news release. "MIS-C is a serious health complication linked to COVID-19 and is all the more reason why we must stop the spread of this virus. Anyone and everyone is susceptible to COVID-19 as well as additional health risks associated with it, which is why all of us must stop the virus by wearing a mask and stay six feet away from others," Ball said. "These simple actions are how we protect ourselves and others, including our children."

Experts are still learning about MIS-C and trying to determine why some children experience it while others do not. But two recent studies -- both published last month in the New England Journal of Medicine -- show MIS-C can cause serious symptoms and is potentially fatal. They showed that 80% of patients with MIS-C required treatment in intensive care. In one report, CDC researchers analyzed 186 cases from 26 states between March 15 and May 20.

Patients were hospitalized for a median of seven days and 20% required ventilation to help them breathe. Four patients, or 2%, died. The median age of patients was 8 years old. Just 7% of patients were under a year old, most of the rest were between a year old and 14, and 16% were ages 15 to 20.
The second report, by the New York State Department of Health, examined 99 children with suspected or confirmed MIS-C who were hospitalized between March 1 and May 20. In that study, the median hospital stay was six days.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:33 PM 07-12-2020
And this is my biggest concern with the virus:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/12/healt...ren/index.html

First cases of coronavirus-related inflammatory syndrome identified in children in South Carolina

Two children in South Carolina have been diagnosed with the coronavirus-related pediatric inflammatory syndrome, according to the state's Department of Health and Environmental Control.

The children are both under the age of 10, DHEC said in a news release Sunday. One is located in the Midlands region in central South Carolina. The other is in the Pee Dee region in the northeastern part of the state. Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children, or MIS-C, is a potential complication seen in some children and teenagers following Covid-19 infections or exposure to those with Covid-19. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a health advisory to doctors across the country in May, warning them to be on the lookout for the syndrome. Symptoms include fever, stomach pain, vomiting, a rash and fatigue, according to the CDC.

"We continue to see more and more young people, especially those under 20, contracting and spreading COVID-19, and we know MIS-C is a threat to our youngest South Carolinians," State Epidemiologist Dr. Linda Bell said in a news release. "MIS-C is a serious health complication linked to COVID-19 and is all the more reason why we must stop the spread of this virus. Anyone and everyone is susceptible to COVID-19 as well as additional health risks associated with it, which is why all of us must stop the virus by wearing a mask and stay six feet away from others," Ball said. "These simple actions are how we protect ourselves and others, including our children."

Experts are still learning about MIS-C and trying to determine why some children experience it while others do not. But two recent studies -- both published last month in the New England Journal of Medicine -- show MIS-C can cause serious symptoms and is potentially fatal. They showed that 80% of patients with MIS-C required treatment in intensive care. In one report, CDC researchers analyzed 186 cases from 26 states between March 15 and May 20.

Patients were hospitalized for a median of seven days and 20% required ventilation to help them breathe. Four patients, or 2%, died. The median age of patients was 8 years old. Just 7% of patients were under a year old, most of the rest were between a year old and 14, and 16% were ages 15 to 20.
The second report, by the New York State Department of Health, examined 99 children with suspected or confirmed MIS-C who were hospitalized between March 1 and May 20. In that study, the median hospital stay was six days.
I share the concern but there is also as sense of practicality that comes into play. If we wait until we know we are 100% safe from all things Covid to move forward then you might as well just cancel Christmas for the next decade or two.
[Reply]
Bugeater 04:35 PM 07-12-2020
Sure, but it seems we can't trust every locality to do what they need to do, and they're fucking it up for the ones who are.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:36 PM 07-12-2020
I share the concern but there is also as sense of practicality that comes into play. If we wait until we know we are 100% safe from all things Covid to move forward then you might as well just cancel Christmas for the next decade or two.
:-)

Did you just totally misinterpret the article? Doctors don't know why some children that have contracted COVID-19 also had a severe inflammatory disease.

Until there's further information available, it would be stupid to send children in as guinea pigs.

That has absolutely nothing to do with shutting down everything for years.

Good grief.
[Reply]
Bugeater 04:40 PM 07-12-2020
I'll say one thing, I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make the decision about schools. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
[Reply]
Page 2573 of 3903
« First < 1573207324732523256325692570257125722573 257425752576257725832623267330733573 > Last »
Up