ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Zach Allen DE Boston College
O.city 10:05 AM 03-29-2019
Have seen some stuff on twitter about him being the Chiefs pick at 29 if they stay there.

That doesn't seem ideal to me. Thoughts?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:22 AM 03-29-2019
Curious how many people who'd be pissed about Bradbury at 29 would be fine with this pick because "We need to rebuild the defense..."

Zach Allen at 29 would be a garbage pick. There are literally 20 players like him in this draft. He's fine. He's a solid prospect.

And so are a dozen other guys that will be available in the 2nd or 3rd.

He'd be the reachiest of reachy need picks and an AWFUL decision.

"But muh defense!!!!"
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:26 AM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Well yeah, but you're not going to have the best success doing all that with a Speaks and Allen duo.

Except that you might well.

I don't think it's fair at all to assess Speaks' potential as a 4-3 end based on a season of playing 3-4 OLB in Sutton's scheme in which he was actually used in coverage of all things.

And if you look at Allen's tape, he's a well rounded player. I would say he's a bigger Trey Flowers as a comparison. Not a slower Flowers, just a bigger Flowers. And Flowers NOW, not the mid-round draft pick developmental Flowers. I see an 8-9 sack guy that's a plus run defender with no real hole in his game. I think you can absolutely win with a guy like that.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:28 AM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Curious how many people who'd be pissed about Bradbury at 29 would be fine with this pick because "We need to rebuild the defense..."

Zach Allen at 29 would be a garbage pick. There are literally 20 players like him in this draft. He's fine. He's a solid prospect.

"But muh defense!!!!"
Have you actually watched the kid? I don't think you have. There are NOT 20 guys like that in this draft.

go watch a youtube video on him. Watch him throw around offensive tackles from major schools. The guy's a good player at a position of need. A slight reach at 29, but not a gigantic reach. A GREAT pick at one of our #2's.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:32 AM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Except that you might well.

I don't think it's fair at all to assess Speaks' potential as a 4-3 end based on a season of playing 3-4 OLB in Sutton's scheme in which he was actually used in coverage of all things.

And if you look at Allen's tape, he's a well rounded player. I would say he's a bigger Trey Flowers as a comparison. Not a slower Flowers, just a bigger Flowers. And Flowers NOW, not the mid-round draft pick developmental Flowers. I see an 8-9 sack guy that's a plus run defender with no real hole in his game. I think you can absolutely win with a guy like that.
I don't see 8-9 sacks. He'a more Solomon Thomas than Flowers.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:39 AM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I don't see 8-9 sacks. He'a more Solomon Thomas than Flowers.
Oh. I don't think so at all. I think he's much better.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:40 AM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Keep riding that Speaks train to Sadnessville.
I think you're going to be eating crow.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:42 AM 03-29-2019
This is going to be an interesting draft. There's literally nothing that would piss me off, and maybe 20 guys in those first two rounds that I like a lot. It just depends on how the board falls and which way they decide to go.
[Reply]
bricks 04:45 PM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

"But muh defense!!!!"
I think Bradbury at 29th is a sensible, legit pick.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 10:57 PM 03-29-2019
If Veach can't get Ferrell or Sweat it's going to be Omenihu IMO. In all intents and purposes he's player archetype Brett/Spags want at DE. The question is how obsessive Veach is to obtain Omenihu if said players are gone.
[Reply]
Chargem 02:29 AM 03-30-2019
I think this guy is a top half of the 2nd kind of guy, rather than a first rounder. It would be a reach but not a ridiculous one.

I'd still rather have Jaylon Ferguson (in general, not specifically in the 1st)
[Reply]
Blick 02:56 AM 03-30-2019
I like Allen. I see a poor man's JJ Watt.

Not fast, but explosive off the snap and extremely violent hands to get rid of blocks. Beast against the run and upside as a pass rusher. Versatility to kick inside and move around. Not sexy, but would be a damn solid player, imo.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 08:39 AM 03-30-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Have you actually watched the kid? I don't think you have. There are NOT 20 guys like that in this draft.

go watch a youtube video on him. Watch him throw around offensive tackles from major schools. The guy's a good player at a position of need. A slight reach at 29, but not a gigantic reach. A GREAT pick at one of our #2's.
I tend to agree here.

Allen, to me, looks like a player who is going to immediately be pretty good and we’re going to look back and wonder how everyone didn’t see it coming (and take him in the first 40 or so picks).

He’s just a good player, it shows up in everything you can watch of him.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:26 AM 03-30-2019
Originally Posted by Chargem:
I think this guy is a top half of the 2nd kind of guy, rather than a first rounder. It would be a reach but not a ridiculous one.

I'd still rather have Jaylon Ferguson (in general, not specifically in the 1st)
I like Ferguson too, but the film comparison isn't close. Ferguson's beating up on...like Eastern Idaho Tech. Allen's doing that to SEC schools. Some of those offensive tackles will be or have been drafted.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:30 AM 03-30-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I tend to agree here.

Allen, to me, looks like a player who is going to immediately be pretty good and we’re going to look back and wonder how everyone didn’t see it coming (and take him in the first 40 or so picks).

He’s just a good player, it shows up in everything you can watch of him.
Yeah; purely based on the video(s) he's just dominating the line of scrimmage in those games against top flight competition.

Look at his hands; his power and his quickness, his 'bend' which is pretty good for a guy of that size although he's mostly able to make one move and then bull through as soon the lineman commits. He's relentless.

You could do a lot worse at #29 but if he's there at #61 You better nab him.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:39 AM 03-30-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
If Veach can't get Ferrell or Sweat it's going to be Omenihu IMO. In all intents and purposes he's player archetype Brett/Spags want at DE. The question is how obsessive Veach is to obtain Omenihu if said players are gone.
I like Omenihu a lot too.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up