ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 36 of 46
« First < 263233343536 37383940 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any fishkeepers here? Saltwater or freshwater
Silock 04:02 AM 11-16-2011
I'm looking at starting up a saltwater tank. Is there a good fish store in the KC area without driving out to Lawrence?
[Reply]
Fish 05:20 PM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by IratePrimate:
I would buy some from you. I've wanted ob peacocks for awhile. Well depending on how far you are from blue springs.
Not really looking to make money off of it. I'd give you some. I'm in Westport, so it shouldn't be a problem transporting them. I'll see if I can catch some and isolate them, and I'll send you a PM and make arrangements. Probably not till this weekend at the earliest though.

They should definitely have some color when they mature. Here's a vid showing the father and mother at the .15sec mark:

EDIT: Might want to turn the sound down. For some reason it sounds like I'm killing a litter of pigs in the background.

[Reply]
IratePrimate 05:29 PM 06-05-2014
Sounds good, I'll probably be downtown on Sunday. I'll keep any eye out for your pm.
[Reply]
OldSchool 07:25 PM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Well, we went to an aquarium shop to check out the fish and potentially buy our stuff to get going, but the woman who owned the shop was really, really mean to us, so we left. We then started pondering if the fish need to be fed every day, and what that means if they're office fish, and we got all intimidated. I think we'll just buy a painting of a fish.
Fish do not need to be fed every day. You can feed them every other day or every 3-4 days when they are adults.

The only time that you would want to feed fish every day is if you were dealing with really young fish, fry that are around or under 1", and you want them to grow fast. Then you would have to feed them 2 times a day. However, it sounds like you are looking to get adults, they can go weeks and sometimes months without eating but it's preferable to feed them about 3-4 times a week instead.

They actually need fasting days because fish tend to get overfed and obese when fed every day.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:56 AM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I loved that place. I had been going for years, then one day I drove over there, must have been 6 years now, and it was just completely gone. I was shocked.

I actually worked at Petsmart for almost two years as my first job in the aquatics/small animal department. One time someone brought in a red bellied pacu they said they caught in a creek. This thing was huge, with a length of at least 18 inches. I imagine someone dumped it there and this person caught it shortly thereafter. I threw it in one of the empty aquariums and someone took it home (free of charge) within a few days.
I wonder what they caught it on?

Pacu can be finicky eaters in an aquarium...
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:58 AM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by OldSchool:
Fish do not need to be fed every day. You can feed them every other day or every 3-4 days when they are adults.

The only time that you would want to feed fish every day is if you were dealing with really young fish, fry that are around or under 1", and you want them to grow fast. Then you would have to feed them 2 times a day. However, it sounds like you are looking to get adults, they can go weeks and sometimes months without eating but it's preferable to feed them about 3-4 times a week instead.

They actually need fasting days because fish tend to get overfed and obese when fed every day.
Underfeeding is better than overfeeding, strictly from a water quality standpoint. Not that you should deprive them of food in order to reduce nitrogenation...

They just don't need to be fed all the time. In an office setting like Rain Man has, you feed them once a day during the week and don't feed them during the weekends. Pretty simple and they'll do fine.
[Reply]
OldSchool 01:58 PM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I wonder what they caught it on?

Pacu can be finicky eaters in an aquarium...
Really? I've known Pacu to be willing to eat almost anything. They love chowing on some veggies, nuts, etc.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 06:36 PM 06-17-2014
Another batch just hatched. :-)

[Reply]
Fish 05:40 PM 06-18-2014
Mother OB cichlid spit out 32 of these fuckers today. Been holding them in her mouth for about 3 weeks.

[Reply]
mr. tegu 05:41 PM 06-18-2014
That's awesome.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:54 PM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by Fish:
Petsmart or Petco won't take them. They told me they don't do that kind of thing anymore.
Yeah, chain stores would rather have the ones that are shipped halfway from hell, all stressed out and full of ick... most chain store fish areas are a disgrace in my experience, dead animals floating everywhere, nothing being quarantined and treated like it should be etc.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:10 AM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by OldSchool:
Really? I've known Pacu to be willing to eat almost anything. They love chowing on some veggies, nuts, etc.
They prefer tree nuts.

Or human nuts in SE Asia. :-)
[Reply]
Steron 07:20 AM 06-19-2014
I've currently got about a dozen O.B. peacock cichlid babies darting around my tank right now. Mama fish is holding another fucking clutch already. Goddamn mouth brooders. I've been selling some to the pet store, but I can't keep up.

Anybody want some babies?

That looks like a beautiful setup. Can you take more vid of the entire thing?
[Reply]
Fish 11:05 AM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by Steron:
That looks like a beautiful setup. Can you take more vid of the entire thing?
Thanks! There's a few more vids of my tank in this thread.

Here's one from last year: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...&postcount=480
[Reply]
Steron 01:30 PM 06-19-2014
Not really looking to make money off of it. I'd give you some. I'm in Westport, so it shouldn't be a problem transporting them. I'll see if I can catch some and isolate them, and I'll send you a PM and make arrangements. Probably not till this weekend at the earliest though.

They should definitely have some color when they mature. Here's a vid showing the father and mother at the .15sec mark:

EDIT: Might want to turn the sound down. For some reason it sounds like I'm killing a litter of pigs in the background.

Was that a golf ball in there? If so, why?
[Reply]
Fish 01:42 PM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by Steron:
Was that a golf ball in there? If so, why?
Yeah, I've got several golf balls in the tank for decoration. No particular reason other than liking golf.
[Reply]
Page 36 of 46
« First < 263233343536 37383940 > Last »
Up