ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>20 Years Ago Today
gblowfish 10:55 AM 01-23-2020
The auto accident that killed DT's friend and eventually took his life. Speeding to the airport to fly to St. Louis for the Rams-Bucs NFC Championship Game on a weather day much like today.

Hard to believe it's been 20 years.

Drive safe out there, and for God's Sake BUCKLE UP.
Attached: DTAccident2.jpg (58.1 KB) 
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:57 AM 01-23-2020
I used to wear my seatbelt occasionally when I was younger but since that day I don't know I have ever driven without it on.
[Reply]
Stryker 11:10 AM 01-23-2020
My favorite Chief of all time. God it is crazy that that was 20 years ago. Man time flies.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 11:11 AM 01-23-2020
I remember hearing the news on the radio. My buddy goes "do you think he'll play again?" I said "I just hope he'll walk again."

I didn't realize I should've prayed for his survival.

I was a teenager. What did I know?
[Reply]
Dartgod 11:20 AM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I used to wear my seatbelt occasionally when I was younger but since that day I don't know I have ever driven without it on.
Same here.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 11:24 AM 01-23-2020
Derrick was always running late. He was late to everything. It ended up costing him his life.

I cant remember ever being as sick over someone famous dying as when we lost DT. Just total shock and numbness.
[Reply]
Matrix 11:48 AM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
The auto accident that killed DT's friend and eventually took his life. Speeding to the airport to fly to St. Louis for the Rams-Bucs NFC Championship Game on a weather day much like today.

Hard to believe it's been 20 years.

Drive safe out there, and for God's Sake BUCKLE UP.
I remember seeing the news on the FOX Sports ticker in the post-game show. Couldn't believe it. It put a damper on the entire evening.
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:51 AM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I always wear it now too because of DT.

Still makes me sad we lost him.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:55 AM 01-23-2020
It's even more sad that that was also the day that Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play.
[Reply]
Bwana 11:55 AM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by Stryker:
My favorite Chief of all time. God it is crazy that that was 20 years ago. Man time flies.
Exactly what I was thinking.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 12:20 PM 01-23-2020
When he died-I was in class-saw the news in the internet. Sat down in my chair and started crying.

Most of my boys knew about the accident. Stunned when I said he died.
[Reply]
lewdog 12:57 PM 01-23-2020
I was 15 when it happened. Grew up idolizing him through the 90's. Jerseys, posters, cards, figures.

It was pretty crushing and only time I've cried over a famous person dying.
[Reply]
HemiEd 01:12 PM 01-23-2020
We were being audited for ISO that week, can't remember which cert it was. I was so shook up when I got the news, one of the auditors bought me a DT book and sent it to me later.

Of course, everyone that went in my office got a pretty good idea I was a Chiefs fan with this carpet and all of my walls covered in framed players pictures.

Last night the NFL channel was playing the 2nd game of the 94 season with the 9ers. It was fun to watch with DT, Dale Carter, Joe Montana etc. Holy crap their shoulder pads were so much bigger back then.
Attached: chiefscarpet.jpg (15.5 KB) 
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:18 PM 01-23-2020
When the news came that he died I was at home and it was night. I quietly left the house and drove over to Arrowhead and just sat in lot G looking at the back of the big scoreboard and felt like shit. I didn't cry, and didn't until after I went to the visitation at Arrowhead a few days later. We walked in under the little scoreboard on the east side; down the stairs into the east end zone, in a line, under a tent, passed the coffin and then back up the stairs and out. Nobody said a word. I went back to the car and it all hit me hard. Just a sad time. Glad 20 years later we're in a different place with happiness surrounding us.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:55 PM 01-23-2020
Should have been playing that day, and probably would have been if that cocksucker Baker hadn't kicked off out of bounds. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up