ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 64
« First < 678910 111213142060 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Lamar Jackson wasn't, isn't, and never will be better than Patrick Mahomes
Wallcrawler 09:14 AM 01-16-2020
This "Lamar Jackson is in the same league as Mahomes" nonsense on every football related show I see needs to stop.

Lamar Jackson, on the biggest stage, has now shit down his leg in both opportunities. Lamar is a player who has to have everything around him working perfectly to have success. Put him down 2 scores and ask him to carry the team, he cannot answer the bell.

There's a big difference between a running quarterback, and a quarterback who can run. Lamar Jackson and The Ravens ran 88 plays and put up 12 points.

Jackson attempted 59 passes, only threw one touchdown, but also threw two picks and lost a fumble. 12 points on 59 pass attempts should tell you all you need to know about Lamar as a QB when the lights are the brightest.

Nobody would bat an eye if before the game, soneone told us Pat would put the ball up 59 times. Matter of fact, id be pretty excited to see how many points and yards he would put up in that span of plays.

When things got bad for both QBs, you saw the odds on favorite to win the MVP this year get visible frustrated, press, and ultimately fold. He was nowhere to be seen trying to work out what was happening, rallying his team, he simply pouted on the sideline as his team fell further behind.

The reigning MVP had literally no quit. Its one thing to say after the fact, that we had faith all along, its quite another for that to be true.

Down 24, think about that for a moment. 24. Mahomes is captured, in that moment on the sideline saying we have everything we want. Everyones already counted us the **** out, so go do something special.

Then, to walk the walk after talking the talk, leading the team to 7 straight touchdowns and 8 scoring drives, throwing 5 touchdown passes, and displaying a fiery emotion that if you dont feel anything when you see this kid going nuts after a huge play, call the coroner, because youre already dead.

The two qbs could not be further apart. Jackson cannot hold Mahomes jock when it comes to putting the team on his back.

Lamar should consider signing with KC as a running back. Its the only way barring injury to Mahomes, that hes ever getting a ring.

Mahomes is the MVP. Its not even close. Lamar is a running back executing the halfback pass play about 20-25 times a game.

Jacksons first two years have ended with dud playoff performances.

Mahomes first two years as a starter sees his team hosting back to back AFC title games for a frachise that in its entire history never hosted a single one before he arrived.
[Reply]
notorious 09:38 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Yup. No wonder his passes either float or come off short. His footwork is atrocious.
I work with my 8 year old son with this all the time. The ball will go where your foot is pointed.

If you don't point your foot, plant, swivel your hips and follow through top/down the ball won't go where you want it.

Only freaks like Mahomes can get away with doing something outside of the formula.

This guy is the NFL MVP at QB and isn't doing what any decent passing high school QB can do.
[Reply]
St. Patty's Fire 09:52 PM 01-23-2020
Both receivers did better in precision passing than Lamar

Embarrassing
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:53 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
So I'm thinking of Mahomes' contract in the context of what happened with Aaron Rodgers many years ago. Deshaun Watson has leaked to the media that he is going to use Mahomes' contract to squeeze an even bigger salary from the Texans. Given what we saw this past weekend, I think the Texans should tell him to jump off a cliff. But they won't. They'll end up paying him more than Mahomes and they'll be stuck with a QB who isn't the best in the world. Same thing with Dak Prescott and the Cowboys. He will squeeze top dollar out of Jerry Jones after Mahomes pushes the market above $40M.

Years ago, Aaron Rodgers set the market at $22M. Before you knew it, the likes of Derek Carr, Matt Stafford, Jimmy G, and Kirk Cousins were at $25-29M while Rodgers was still at $22M. Similar situation is about to play out with Mahomes. I know a lot of folks on this forum want Mahomes to give the Chiefs a big discount. But the reality is they are getting a massive discount to begin with. If they pay him $40M per year and we see another 5 inferior QB's go above that number in the next few years, then the Chiefs can sit back and laugh their butts off at the rest of the league...same as the Packers did with Rodgers at $22M.

Relative to his peers, Rodgers was worth a hell of a lot more than that $22M number. Same statement is true with Mahomes at $40M. If Dak and Deshaun are gonna get paid $40M, Mahomes' real value is more like $60M. That's a big win for the Chiefs in the grand scheme. The other team that can laugh their butts off is Seattle. Russell Wilson at $35M is a massive steal when you start thinking about a Dak Prescott at $40M.

I don’t think we are going to get an Aaron Rodgers salary situation here because I think teams don’t want to constantly reset the market and they will finally have an out because Mahomes is so clearly the best that they won’t have to offer more than him and no one would think that’s not fair.
[Reply]
DRM08 09:58 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15:
Lamar is like the greatest gimmick QB I've ever watched. Problem the Ravens offense peaked mid season. The NFL adjusted and now the blue print is stack the box, make Lamar stay in the pocket/run lateral, and change up your coverages to confuse him. As for a healthy Chiefs offense, there is no stopping it. You cant even contain it because nickel and dimes turn in to Sammy Watkins/Reek/Hardman big money bombs. You just can't stop them all.
It's gonna be interesting to see the Ravens offense next season. I think Lamar will keep working to improve his passing ability. But he's still a long ways from where he would need to be as an actual pocket passer. I would assume DC's will finally start locking down the tight end throws over the middle. He leans on that so heavily, you have to challenge him to do something else in the passing game.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:21 PM 01-23-2020
Kind of feel bad for Lamar. You either have accuracy or you don’t. His game is what it is. He didn’t ask to be the most overhyped player in recent memory.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 10:24 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
I work with my 8 year old son with this all the time. The ball will go where your foot is pointed.

If you don't point your foot, plant, swivel your hips and follow through top/down the ball won't go where you want it.

Only freaks like Mahomes can get away with doing something outside of the formula.

This guy is the NFL MVP at QB and isn't doing what any decent passing high school QB can do.
It's sad. I read 2 books when I was named the starter in 6th grade : Joe Montana The Art and Magic of Quarterbacking and Joe Theismann Quarterbacking

Both books stress the footwork aspect, and that's where i started. Drew Brees and Kirk Cousins both have exceptional footwork. Tom Brady, too, much as I hate to admit it.

I think I actually still have that Montana book somewhere. If you'd like, I can send it your way for your boy to peruse. Lots of good stuff in there.
[Reply]
DRM08 10:31 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
Kind of feel bad for Lamar. You either have accuracy or you don’t. His game is what it is. He didn’t ask to be the most overhyped player in recent memory.
Agree with you there. He seems like a really nice guy.

I think he can still improve on some of the accuracy issues. Seems like he improved a lot from last year to this year. He'll never be a GOAT level passer, but he's still a hell of a player when you factor in the incredible running ability. He's a "good enough" passer that it is damn difficult to stop both elements of his game.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 10:39 PM 01-23-2020
Agree with you there. He seems like a really nice guy.

I think he can still improve on some of the accuracy issues. Seems like he improved a lot from last year to this year. He'll never be a GOAT level passer, but he's still a hell of a player when you factor in the incredible running ability. He's a "good enough" passer that it is damn difficult to stop both elements of his game.
He needs to work on his footwork. He needs a QB coach that will drill him on fundamentals like Holmgren used to drill Favre.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 01:11 AM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
He needs to work on his footwork. He needs a QB coach that will drill him on fundamentals like Holmgren used to drill Favre.
I think he needs a different head coach, because Harbaugh seems content to say Lamar is perfect the way he is now, but ultimately, Lamar has to want to get better.

This off-season we will see if Lamar is driven to get better, like Mahomes was driven to change his body before this season.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Lzen 09:40 AM 01-24-2020
Kind of feel bad for Lamar. You either have accuracy or you don’t.....
As others have already pointed out in this thread, Lamar needs work on his mechanics. If he does that then he can probably improve quite a bit. It's the mental side of things that he may never get much better.
[Reply]
FringeNC 09:45 AM 01-24-2020
Mike Leach claims coaches dramatically overestimate their ability to fix accuracy issues at both the college and pro level. Either you have it or you don't...

Mike Leach: Most important characteristics of QBs
"You can't develop people into being accurate after 17-18. In the 4th-6th grade he’s the guy that can take the snowball & hit the stop sign"
1. Accuracy
2. Good Decisions
3. Quick Feet
4. Fast
5. Strong Arm
+Elevate play of others pic.twitter.com/Yh6mPzC14r

— Warren Sharp (@SharpFootball) March 3, 2019

[Reply]
DRM08 09:50 AM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
I think he needs a different head coach, because Harbaugh seems content to say Lamar is perfect the way he is now, but ultimately, Lamar has to want to get better.

This off-season we will see if Lamar is driven to get better, like Mahomes was driven to change his body before this season.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I don’t think that “perfect” comment is true. Saw a quote from Harbaugh that he had a great conversation with Lamar after the playoff loss. They discussed the areas Lamar needs to improve. Harbaugh said Lamar was pretty self-aware about the flaws in his game. So I think they have the right attitude about it. He will get better as a passer.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:52 AM 01-24-2020
I don’t think that “perfect” comment is true. Saw a quote from Harbaugh that he had a great conversation with Lamar after the playoff loss. They discussed the areas Lamar needs to improve. Harbaugh said Lamar was pretty self-aware about the flaws in his game. So I think they have the right attitude about it. He will get better as a passer.
Doesn't matter if he knows, many people believe you can't teach accuracy either you have it or you don't.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 10:12 AM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Doesn't matter if he knows, many people believe you can't teach accuracy either you have it or you don't.
It can be improved. Just watching him throw at the Pro Bowl skills contest shows me he needs to improve his footwork, which would help a lot.

I mean, he'll never be Joe Montana, but he can be better than he is now, as far as throwing mechanics and being more accurate. However, as pointed out, his mental game is probably not ever really going to improve much. He is what he is, but that doesn't mean he can't improve.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 10:14 AM 01-24-2020
why didnt mahomes do it last year? I think he would be amazing at that
[Reply]
Page 10 of 64
« First < 678910 111213142060 > Last »
Up