ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 58 of 791
« First < 8485455565758 5960616268108158558 > Last »
The Lounge>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:53 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
I would be on the bandwagon of tagging and trading him for sure, especially if they don't plan to do a long term deal. I think they'll tag and keep him, so I've pretty much resigned myself to that. I understand it, even if it's not what I would do.

They feel they're right on the edge of a SB and don't want to get rid of a potential elite player. I get it. I also get the injury concerns.

But I think where they're coming from is that while it's a risk to keep Ford because of his injury history (i'd guess they've put him thru physicals and doctor visits and what not so they'll have a pretty good idea where he's at there, better than we do) they're willing to take the risk because of the upside. If they get a nice offer for a tag and trade they'd do it, but pass rushers are so valuable, they'll chance it and keep him.

Letting him walk is a risk as well in that while you free up the money and picks etc, you've got to bring in players to reproduce the production. You let him go, try and replace him and fail and the pass rush is meh, you could fuck up another season.

So it's risky either way.
Great post, summed it up well.

And that's where I differ from most.

I think the likelihood of Ford repeating his 2018 season is LESS than the likelihood of finding a suitable replacement. Others see the opposite. It's all about risk and to me, the bigger risk is keeping Ford. That's just my opinion though, I don't expect everyone to agree.

Like I said, we'll find out soon enough.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:54 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, when that one player is a pass rusher that lead the league in pressures and IIRC, turnovers, he could very well be the difference.
Especially if he's riding an exercise bike and his base salary prevented them from signing anybody else to help out in his absence. :-)
[Reply]
O.city 09:55 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Great post, summed it up well.

And that's where I differ from most.

I think the likelihood of Ford repeating his 2018 season is LESS than the likelihood of finding a suitable replacement. Others see the opposite. It's all about risk and to me, the bigger risk is keeping Ford. That's just my opinion though, I don't expect everyone to agree.

Like I said, we'll find out soon enough.
I think with the new coaching staff, it's def possible they could. It's a damn good staff and i'm excited.

But with that said, give me the staff and a potential elite player instead of 2 or 3 other players.

Plus i'm coming from the fact that even with an extra 15 mil, I don't know how much that's going to help with getting players in free agency. It needs to come from the draft.

But i'm excited to see hwo it plays out.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:56 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
I would be on the bandwagon of tagging and trading him for sure, especially if they don't plan to do a long term deal. I think they'll tag and keep him, so I've pretty much resigned myself to that. I understand it, even if it's not what I would do.

They feel they're right on the edge of a SB and don't want to get rid of a potential elite player. I get it. I also get the injury concerns.

But I think where they're coming from is that while it's a risk to keep Ford because of his injury history (i'd guess they've put him thru physicals and doctor visits and what not so they'll have a pretty good idea where he's at there, better than we do) they're willing to take the risk because of the upside. If they get a nice offer for a tag and trade they'd do it, but pass rushers are so valuable, they'll chance it and keep him.

Letting him walk is a risk as well in that while you free up the money and picks etc, you've got to bring in players to reproduce the production. You let him go, try and replace him and fail and the pass rush is meh, you could fuck up another season.

So it's risky either way.
Great post. This is exactly why I said I can see both sides.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:58 AM 02-21-2019
That's just the thing:

Ford isn't a potential elite player. He IS an elite player.

When he's healthy.

And therein lies the rub. At least with me. An employee that shows up on time every day and never misses work, even though he only can get done 80% of what I want, is worth more than the guy that does 100% when he's there but calls in sick once a week.

In 5 days, they both produce the same amount of work but on that 6th day, when 500 extra customers show up unexpectedly, only one of them can be depended on to show up.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:21 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'd let them both go and dump 75% of that money into the LB's and secondary. Use the rest to try to partially replace their production and move on.
Jesus. Talk about waving the white flag and playing for next year. Can’t get rid of both of these guys when we are this close.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:34 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Jesus. Talk about waving the white flag and playing for next year. Canít get rid of both of these guys when we are this close.
Because, as we all know, there are no other 4-3 DEs available....at all....ever.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:44 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Because, as we all know, there are no other 4-3 DEs available....at all....ever.
That would require a big long term deal though if you want a good DE. Can we afford that?

Tyreek Hill, Chris Jones and Patrick Mahomes are about to get major deals that will be at least $19 million average cap hits. Signing a DE next month is another player around that price point too.

Doesn’t sound likely IMO
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:50 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
That would require a big long term deal though if you want a good DE. Can we afford that?

Tyreek Hill, Chris Jones and Patrick Mahomes are about to get major deals that will be at least $19 million average cap hits. Signing a DE next month is another player around that price point too.

Doesnít sound likely IMO
Not every 4-3 DE is going to need $19 million a season.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:11 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Jesus. Talk about waving the white flag and playing for next year. Canít get rid of both of these guys when we are this close.
If you let Houston go and put the tag on Ford to keep him, and he gets hurt, you're waving the white flag on next year.

That's the WHOLE freaking point.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:12 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
That would require a big long term deal though if you want a good DE. Can we afford that?

Tyreek Hill, Chris Jones and Patrick Mahomes are about to get major deals that will be at least $19 million average cap hits. Signing a DE next month is another player around that price point too.

Doesnít sound likely IMO
Signing someone else to a 4-year deal is going to not only be doable, it will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper in 2019 than Dee Ford will be. Without the injury risk, too.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 11:32 AM 02-21-2019
Jamison Crowder for the slot option guys?
[Reply]
In58men 11:42 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
Jamison Crowder for the slot option guys?
Rather have Devante Parker
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:44 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by In58men:
Rather have Devante Parker
On a cheap one year prove it deal? Sure.
[Reply]
In58men 11:46 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
On a cheap one year prove it deal? Sure.
Yes, ainít nobody tryna pay him big money.
[Reply]
Page 58 of 791
« First < 8485455565758 5960616268108158558 > Last »
Up