ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Nzoner's Game Room>McCoy?
ROYC75 12:34 AM 01-21-2020
What the hell is going on with him?
[Reply]
MahiMike 04:00 PM 01-24-2020
I guess we disagree here. I think Darwin is our best clock burner.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:07 PM 01-24-2020
My theory? It's an attitude thing. And not HIS attitude.

Shady is a jitterbug. He's a really indecisive runner and isn't a guy that's going to just see hole, hit hole.

For the last several weeks this team has taken on a more assertive approach on the OL and to some degree it's coincided with the return of Williams. I think that's mostly on the OL getting some continuity but I also think that they just prefer to block for a guy like Williams. They'd rather have a guy who's out there battling just as hard as they are and looking to get hard into a crease rather than dance a bit and find a way to bounce it.

If you look at a team running game as a strictly holistic animal (and you probably should) then you aren't just talking about how the RB performs, you're also talking about how the WAY he performs influences the guys he's working with, namely the OL. If blocking for a guy who is more aggressive to the hole like Williams has the OL playing a more aggressive style of game, that will translate across the board. It won't just be to the running game, but also extend to finishing blocks in the passing game.

It may ultimately be too clever by half but I think the answer is that Williams fits better with the identity that Reid and Bieneimy have tried to create for these guys, especially the linemen. They're all tired of the 'soft' shit and when you have a gritter style of RB like Williams in there, I think it helps them to continue working on the lunchpail sort of shit.

I dunno if McCoy is still a better back than Williams at this stage of his career (ultimately I don't really think he is), but I think Williams is a better fit in terms of style and ultimately in terms of his ability to hit a homerun that can fundamentally alter the outcome.
[Reply]
limested 04:14 PM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
I guess we disagree here. I think Darwin is our best clock burner.
It doesn't matter what you think. Look at the playoffs so far. Williams is getting 99% of carries.

Hill has twice as many carries as Darwin.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 04:19 PM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Shady is a jitterbug. He's a really indecisive runner and isn't a guy that's going to just see hole, hit hole.

For the last several weeks this team has taken on a more assertive approach on the OL and to some degree it's coincided with the return of Williams. I think that's mostly on the OL getting some continuity but I also think that they just prefer to block for a guy like Williams. They'd rather have a guy who's out there battling just as hard as they are and looking to get hard into a crease rather than dance a bit and find a way to bounce it.

If you look at a team running game as a strictly holistic animal (and you probably should) then you aren't just talking about how the RB performs, you're also talking about how the WAY he performs influences the guys he's working with, namely the OL. If blocking for a guy who is more aggressive to the hole like Williams has the OL playing a more aggressive style of game, that will translate across the board. It won't just be to the running game, but also extend to finishing blocks in the passing game.

It may ultimately be too clever by half but I think the answer is that Williams fits better with the identity that Reid and Bieneimy have tried to create for these guys, especially the linemen. They're all tired of the 'soft' shit and when you have a gritter style of RB like Williams in there, I think it helps them to continue working on the lunchpail sort of shit.

I dunno if McCoy is still a better back than Williams at this stage of his career (ultimately I don't really think he is), but I think Williams is a better fit in terms of style and ultimately in terms of his ability to hit a homerun that can fundamentally alter the outcome.
Not sure I agree entirely here.

McCoy is not soft. Far from it. He is a willing pass blocker, and runs aggressively when given opportunities. I do think the fact he has turned the ball over factors into his deployment, BUT, I think the bigger reason he has been scratched a number of games is a culmination of a few things:

1) Occasions of careless ball carrying/turnover (already cited)
2) Wear and tear/load management (made sense earlier in season but not now...)
3) Recent illness
4) Damien has the hot hand and is SCORING - coaches won’t mess with that
5) Perhaps a more significant factor: McCoy does not play specials, where Thompson does.

I think Shady dresses for the Superbowl, but only gets in for a few snaps.
[Reply]
BWillie 04:36 PM 01-24-2020
McCoy is going to be active for the Super Bowl. 100%.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 04:49 PM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
McCoy is going to be active for the Super Bowl. 100%.
Dude needs some of those gloves Cruise used in that mission impossible movie
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 06:58 PM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
Not sure I agree entirely here.

McCoy is not soft. Far from it. He is a willing pass blocker, and runs aggressively when given opportunities. I do think the fact he has turned the ball over factors into his deployment, BUT, I think the bigger reason he has been scratched a number of games is a culmination of a few things:

1) Occasions of careless ball carrying/turnover (already cited)
2) Wear and tear/load management (made sense earlier in season but not now...)
3) Recent illness
4) Damien has the hot hand and is SCORING - coaches won’t mess with that
5) Perhaps a more significant factor: McCoy does not play specials, where Thompson does.

I think Shady dresses for the Superbowl, but only gets in for a few snaps.
I agree with both of your takes in general. However, IF the game is close either way and Andy needs more playmaking ability from the run game look for McCoy to start getting the ball in space because as both of you said he still has that ability to shake and bake to some degree and make those plays easier than Williams/Thompson of being able to make people miss.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 07:01 PM 01-24-2020
I was re-watching highlights from the Jacksonville and Baltimore games early in the season and forgot how explosive McCoy was with his runs and on screen passes.

Seems like everything changed when his career long fumble issues re-emerged.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:04 PM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
I agree with both of your takes in general. However, IF the game is close either way and Andy needs more playmaking ability from the run game look for McCoy to start getting the ball in space because as both of you said he still has that ability to shake and bake to some degree and make those plays easier than Williams/Thompson of being able to make people miss.
Kind of my thinking. Unless we just blow them out from the get-go, which I think is unlikely, there are going to be spots where Shady's experience, talents, vision and shiftiness are going to be a premium. Not only to get the yards needed, but also the savvy to stay in bounds, know where he is on the field and in the situation, and just make the right play. Whether he's carrying the ball, in pass pro or running a route.

Which a big part of the reason we picked him up in the first place.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 07:07 PM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Kind of my thinking. Unless we just blow them out from the get-go, which I think is unlikely, there are going to be spots where Shady's experience, talents, vision and shiftiness are going to be a premium. Not only to get the yards needed, but also the savvy to stay in bounds, know where he is on the field and in the situation, and just make the right play. Whether he's carrying the ball, in pass pro or running a route.

Which a big part of the reason we picked him up in the first place.
:-)
[Reply]
scho63 07:54 PM 01-24-2020
He is not needed
[Reply]
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Up