ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 26
« First < 111718192021 22232425 > Last »
Media Center>Warrant Vs. Winger Vs. Cinderalla Vs. Poison Vs. Slaughter
Deberg_1990 07:27 PM 05-07-2009
The Ultimate showdown. Who kicks more a$$ ???
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:32 PM 01-06-2015
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Kind of on topic - I heard Jake E. Lee on Eddie Trunk's show about a month ago talking about how it was playing for Ozzy back in the day. He went full disclosure and explained all his dealings with Sharon. Two things - 1) It really is crazy how they go about doing the licks and how easily someone can be replaced if the people in charge so decide. Jake talked about how much love and passion he put into coming up with his music, and how it can be deconstructed so easily. And 2) Sharon Osbourne is a fucking. cunt. Wow.
Most people don't know this but Jake and Zakk were both salaried employees. They didn't share in the album royalties and in Jake's case, didn't share in the Bark at the Moon publishing royalties due to Ms. Osbourne.

Jake found out he was fired at the Rainbow. No one from Ozzy's camp even called him. They were also paying rent for his condo (which was part of his salary) and gave him one month's notice. So he lost his gig and his living space.

Zakk received a miniscule publishing royalty from the first two record with Ozzy. At that point, even though Ozzy didn't write a single word or melody, he took 50% of the publishing rights off the top. The other 50% would be split with the writer(s). Since the Statutory Rate when those albums were release was less than 5 cent, Zakk earned approximately 1 cent per song in which he participated (and there were many in which he didn't).

People mistakenly assumed back then (me included) that all of these "rock stars" were wealthy beyond imagination when in reality, most of them earned very little. Guys like Zakk & Jake earned decent salaries while recording and touring but when they were off, there was zero income.

I don't know about Jake but this "model" is exactly how Zakk's run Black Label. The "band" are only paid when they record and tour - the rest of the time, they're on their own. That's the main reason why Zakk is out there pimping everything from pedals to cases to guitars, strings, Black Label merch, etc., because it's the only way he can really earn a living.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:42 PM 01-06-2015
Originally Posted by Brock:
Wow. That's incredible.

I've always wanted to ask you if there always has been and conti ues to be a "wrecking crew" type of group of hired guns that actually were the ones who played on all those notable records. Nevermind comes to mind. And if so would we know who any of them are.
As far as "notable", I guess I'd need an example. While guys like Mike Landau, Tim Pierce, Vinny Colaiuta and others appeared on countless 80's pop stars albums and singles, there wasn't a Wrecking Crew type of band playing on the same hit singles. There were a ton of studio musicians in the day but not exactly one singular band.

There were all kinds of replacement players. Reb Beach appeared on a ton of records, including the last Twisted Sister record of the 80's/early 90's, Josh Freese has appeared on tons of records and as I think I've shared here in the past, A Perfect Circle was actually recorded during the Chinese Democracy sessions - Josh, Billy and Paz Lenchantin, among others, were in out out of those sessions.

Axl was spending more than $2 million per year for almost a decade with various players on retainer before it was released. Of course technically, it wasn't his money, it was Geffen's, which is why the album cost $13 million to make.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:18 AM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Butch played a lot of the guitars on Nevermind and of course, shaped the songs as well as engineering their sound. If they had released another album that sounded like Bleach they would have never broken.

A&R people all around town were fired after Nevermind broke. But who, other than Geffen and Butch Vig, thought the band could go from Bleach to Nevermind?
Siamese Dream and Nevermind have a lot of sounds in common; I guess I always associated Vig with that drum sound...but he get that 'heavy yet shimmery' guitar wound going in a lot of his productions, eh??
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:20 AM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Tesla is going to be at the Midland next month. I'm in for that one.
What day??
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:22 AM 01-07-2015
Most people don't know this but Jake and Zakk were both salaried employees. They didn't share in the album royalties and in Jake's case, didn't share in the Bark at the Moon publishing royalties due to Ms. Osbourne.

Jake found out he was fired at the Rainbow. No one from Ozzy's camp even called him. They were also paying rent for his condo (which was part of his salary) and gave him one month's notice. So he lost his gig and his living space.

Zakk received a miniscule publishing royalty from the first two record with Ozzy. At that point, even though Ozzy didn't write a single word or melody, he took 50% of the publishing rights off the top. The other 50% would be split with the writer(s). Since the Statutory Rate when those albums were release was less than 5 cent, Zakk earned approximately 1 cent per song in which he participated (and there were many in which he didn't).

People mistakenly assumed back then (me included) that all of these "rock stars" were wealthy beyond imagination when in reality, most of them earned very little. Guys like Zakk & Jake earned decent salaries while recording and touring but when they were off, there was zero income.

I don't know about Jake but this "model" is exactly how Zakk's run Black Label. The "band" are only paid when they record and tour - the rest of the time, they're on their own. That's the main reason why Zakk is out there pimping everything from pedals to cases to guitars, strings, Black Label merch, etc., because it's the only way he can really earn a living.
Wonder if they would have done Randy that way??

I feel bad for Bob Daisley, the guy who wrote a large portion of those songs, and he really doesn't get much, from what I understand.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:30 AM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Wonder if they would have done Randy that way??

I feel bad for Bob Daisley, the guy who wrote a large portion of those songs, and he really doesn't get much, from what I understand.
Randy resuscitated Ozzy's career. Sharon wasn't in control yet, although she was working on it and even had sex with Rhoads. Having seen pictures of her in 1980, I can only imagine he was coked out of his gourd.

Daisley received his publishing but his album royalties were jacked. But considering his long and vast career as a songwriter and great bassist, I can only assume that the issue here isn't money but respect. His credits as a songwriter and performer are insane.

But not nearly insane as Sharon.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:34 AM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
yeah, Ozzy is the only sleazy/cheesy metal act that survived the 90's. I can't think of any others. Can you, Dane?
My apologies. I didn't mean to skip this but I haven't had time to think about it. In the mean time, I think DeBerg probably nailed it.

That said, Bon Jovi is far more Bruce Springsteen than Brett Michaels.
[Reply]
Stryker 10:28 AM 01-07-2015
Uncle Tom's Cabin vs. Hungry vs. Heartbreak Station vs. Shout it Out
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:51 AM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Siamese Dream and Nevermind have a lot of sounds in common; I guess I always associated Vig with that drum sound...but he get that 'heavy yet shimmery' guitar wound going in a lot of his productions, eh??
Butch is a big API fan. Those modules and consoles can get pretty bright without being harsh. The Foo Fighters are another example of this particular sound. Listen to the Nick Raskulinecz produced Foo Fighters albums compared to the Butch Vig albums. You'll hear the difference in sound immediately.

Nick recorded mixed on a Neve and Butch recorded and mixed Wasting Light on an API. You can clearly hear the EQ on Bridges Burning and other songs on that album. Normally, I prefer the sound of the Neve but the API works for Wasting Light very well, IMO.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:32 PM 01-07-2015

Not that its your fault obviously, but this entire post is disgusting and sad... it makes me look at guys like Ozzy in an entirely new light, what a clueless prick he is to let Sharon run things that way.

As if he wouldnt be rich enough while giving up some credits and royalties, lotta respect lost from an old fan... such a crazy rebel suddenly became such a money grubbing asshole, what an image killer.

No wonder Zac Wylde did an interview recently where he openly discussed Ozzy's ED problems lol, **** that old limey who forgot what its all about.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:03 PM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Not that its your fault obviously, but this entire post is disgusting and sad... it makes me look at guys like Ozzy in an entirely new light, what a clueless prick he is to let Sharon run things that way.

As if he wouldnt be rich enough while giving up some credits and royalties, lotta respect lost from an old fan... such a crazy rebel suddenly became such a money grubbing asshole, what an image killer.

No wonder Zac Wylde did an interview recently where he openly discussed Ozzy's ED problems lol, **** that old limey who forgot what its all about.
It's far worse than I've described. The problem is that Ozzy has always been more interested in being high than anything else in the world. She created the empire and ran it as she saw fit. And because he was always so stoned, he never knew what was going on around him.

He can't sing anymore, either.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Dayze 07:02 PM 01-07-2015
Jesus... No shit?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:06 PM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by Dayze:
Jesus... No shit?
Yep.

On all the old "live" records and DVD's they fixed his voice in Post. I always thought it was hilarious how his "Come On!" and other banter sonically sounded completely different than his singing voice.

That said, it shouldn't be that surprising. 70%, if not more, of all acts are running tracks, whether it's vocals, instruments, etc.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:09 PM 01-07-2015
It's far worse than I've described. The problem is that Ozzy has always been more interested in being high than anything else in the world. She created the empire and ran it as she saw fit. And because he was always so stoned, he never knew what was going on around him.

Spoiler!
Also, Ozzy cant **** his wife because he's too worn out and old lol, I sooo believe Zacs story now... Ozzy wants to cut him out then what better way to clear the air than spill something like that.

No wonder Sharon was leaning all over him and flattering Stone Cold when he appeared on her tv show, I'll never forget that show like "omg I bet Oz isnt too happy about this".
[Reply]
Bowser 08:07 PM 01-07-2015

Yep, this is the feel of the story Jake was talking about. He was telling how he was in Europe working on the tracks for Blizzard of Ozz thinking how he had a great deal in the works from his handshake deal with Sharon/Ozzy. When he was completely done with everything, that very day, Sharon came to him with the REAL contract, which was as you detailed and a fraction of what he was promised. Naturally he got pissed and told her it was bullshit, and she basically replied that she knew it was bullshit. She even told him that he was free to sue them over his music, but in the time it would get held up in court over and over with her stable of lawyers, they would bring another guitarist in to cover his work and make it his own (or property of her production company). He said she laughed at him and told him it would be years before any settlement would be reached and they would tour and make money with the music he wrote in the meantime. Of course he reneged and went along with it. Just ****ing low down sleazy operating.

Spoiler!
See, I knew he sounded just a little too good for a mid 60's guy a couple of years ago when I saw him in KC. He hit ALL the notes, even the early Sabbath stuff they played. Honestly, starting around No More Tears he sounds just a little too perfect.

Crazy info, Dane. Thanks for sharing all of that. Must have been like a cock punch when you saw first hand how the business is really run and realized you weren't going to be the next Sammy Hagar. Luckily for you you have some talent and made it work anyway!
[Reply]
Page 21 of 26
« First < 111718192021 22232425 > Last »
Up