carcosa 12:12 AM 02-23-2021
Holy shit this looks good as hell can't wait til it goes national

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/22/busin...aco/index.html

Yum!
[Reply]
FlaChief58 02:26 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
fake catfish fish
I'm not a catfish fan, especially since I live a stone's throw away from awesome seafood, but what the hell is fake catfish?
Catfish is one of the most farmed, readily available fish around. Why is there a need for a fake version?

Edit: I had to look it up. Swai, another garbage fish loaded with antibiotics just to keep them alive and growth hormones to get them to market sooner. Mainly farmed in SE Asia with little to no regulations. Gross
[Reply]
sedated 02:34 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Looks like one of those items that looks decent in the marketing promo, but in person it's just complete disappointment.
It looks like a southwest version of a bao bun. I'd have little faith that Taco Bell could pull that off, but if there's one cooking method they shouldn't have a problem with, its putting things in a steam tray.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:18 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by FlaChief58:
Fish taco's are where it's at and are very popular here. You just have to make sure you ask what kind of fish they use. A lot of places will use tilapia :-)

The best places use Grouper or Mahi Mahi
1. Tilapia is cheap and readily available.

2. Tilapia is actually authentic.

:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:20 PM 02-23-2021
This still might be the only time in my life I've heard that people actually like Taco Bell's Mexican pizza.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 03:23 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
1. Tilapia is cheap and readily available.

2. Tilapia is actually authentic.

:-)
3. Tilapia tastes like the bottom of a garbage can
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:26 PM 02-23-2021
3. Tilapia tastes like the bottom of a garbage can
Not if it's farm raised, which is big business around here.

That being said, you're talking about an ethnic dish that features, among other things, the choice of tripe as your "protein".
[Reply]
srvy 03:31 PM 02-23-2021
I'm not a catfish fan, especially since I live a stone's throw away from awesome seafood, but what the hell is fake catfish?
Catfish is one of the most farmed, readily available fish around. Why is there a need for a fake version?

Edit: I had to look it up. Swai, another garbage fish loaded with antibiotics just to keep them alive and growth hormones to get them to market sooner. Mainly farmed in SE Asia with little to no regulations. Gross
Cobbler fish or Basa is a catfish native to SE Asia, particularly in the Mekong Delta area. It's cheaper than Swai and Tilapia but it's a turd fish mistaken for North American Catfish. My wife loves it and buys it regularly at the Asian market. I can't tell the difference in texture and taste of channel cat.
[Reply]
srvy 03:38 PM 02-23-2021
Also Basa is a favorite fish in Louisianna Cajun recipes.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 03:50 PM 02-23-2021
Also called basa, tra, swai or striped catfish, pangasius was not always the two-million-ton juggernaught it is today. From the 1940s to the 1990s, only a handful of small-scale commercial farms dotted Vietnam’s Mekong Delta.

There is so much bullshit coming from our friends in the east, I get my seafood fresh from the market. That's definitely an advantage of living so close to the source. I've had Swai, basa or whatever you want to call it and it didn't taste bad to me, but then I looked into where it comes from and how it's farmed. I won't knowingly eat it as a result.

"You’re Probably Eating Asian Catfish without Knowing It. Should You Be Worried? | Oceana" https://oceana.org/blog/you%E2%80%99...you-be-worried
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:04 PM 02-23-2021
This thing might be ok if they actually lightly grilled the wrap like they're supposed to - just like the chalupa - but more often than not those lazy ass kids don't do the right thing and you get this cold, hard wrap that kills the whole thing

"dude we're getting slammed, I'm not taking 30 seconds to put some warmth and crispiness on this thing F these people!"

Thats exactly what you're gonna get here

Just gimme Mexican flavored chicken strips and a good dipping sauce instead
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:21 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
This thing might be ok if they actually lightly grilled the wrap like they're supposed to - just like the chalupa - but more often than not those lazy ass kids don't do the right thing and you get this cold, hard wrap that kills the whole thing

"dude we're getting slammed, I'm not taking 30 seconds to put some warmth and crispiness on this thing F these people!"

Thats exactly what you're gonna get here

Just gimme Mexican flavored chicken strips and a good dipping sauce instead
Does TB still have the chalupa/gordita distinction?
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:35 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Does TB still have the chalupa/gordita distinction?
Not sure, don't recall seeing gorditas on the menu lately and haven't bought a chalupa since they got rid of the Baja style... pretty sure the only style you can get now is a chicken chalupa

Every time that place comes up with something good, they ditch it
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:55 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Not if it's farm raised, which is big business around here.

That being said, you're talking about an ethnic dish that features, among other things, the choice of tripe as your "protein".
Yep, tilapia is common in Mexico... thus perfectly authentic for any fish taco

While I prefer ocean fish for mine, tilapia does just fine same as any other fish so long as your seasonings and toppings are on point
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:02 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Yep, tilapia is common in Mexico... thus perfectly authentic for any fish taco

While I prefer ocean fish for mine, tilapia does just fine same as any other fish so long as your seasonings and toppings are on point
For me, in a taco I just want fish for texture. Flaky and flavorless should be the calling-card. Plenty of flavors from cabbage, crema, pico/salsa and coating.
[Reply]
srvy 05:17 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
For me, in a taco I just want fish for texture. Flaky and flavorless should be the calling-card. Plenty of flavors from cabbage, crema, pico/salsa and coating.
Do you have Abelardo's in St Lou? Its a slight step up from Taco Bell as franchises go and more authentic. I have had the Fish Taco and it was passable.

http://www.abelardoskc.com/
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up