ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1828 of 3903
« First < 828132817281778181818241825182618271828 182918301831183218381878192823282828 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 11:49 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
**** everyone but me sounds harsh. That's fine. Sometimes reality is harsh.

But when one makes arguments in favor of continuing a lockdown because they're worried they or their family may get sick, well that's a "**** everyone but me" argument as well.
I don't know about that. Spend 5 minutes talking to any medical expert, I think for a lot people the lockdown is the exact opposite, trying to protect you from getting sick and creating a huge mess.
[Reply]
swifty32661 11:50 AM 05-04-2020
My first inclination is to seriously doubt those numbers because damn near nothing in this country is that one sided. I'd have to ask you to show your work/sources before even considering it to argue against.

Secondly, every decision we make is a selfish decision. Whether its to stay on lockdown to protect the elderly in your family because you're afforded the luxury of that being your primary concern, or wanting to open up because figuring out how to feed your family to the point of relying on Food banks and churches (essentially, allowing your fear to force a family into poverty and homelessness btw) to eat is too stressful and uncertain.

You have your reasons. That guy has his reasons. Your reasons aren't more concerning to him than his own and vice versa.

Blah sorry. The "well i need to protect my elderly" arguments drive me nuts.

EVERYONE has something/someone they are looking to protect.
Nice to see some common sense on this thread. Thanks for posting this.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:50 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
This is all false actually I don't believe any of what you claim, but coming from a guy who thinks the mortality rate is 18% I understand your problem with comprehension.

What I do believe is there is a point where the cure is worse than the disease and we are rapidly getting there.
You don't read well. I never said the CFR was 18%. I said the death rate of reported cases is 18%, which is true.

In fact, I've always maintained that the CFR was much lower than the death rate of reported cases. I just always found it hilarious that you guys kept trying to come up with CFR by taking total deaths dividing by REPORTED cases (without even taking to account cases that haven't reached a recovery or death yet) and thinking EUREKA!!! I've come up with the CFR.

It appears you still do not understand the error of your ways.
[Reply]
swifty32661 11:51 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
This
This times a million.
[Reply]
tk13 11:54 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Seriously, the virus isn't going anywhere and a vaccine is probably 50/50 at best. We flattened the curve as we were told, the balancing point is here... It's not black and white, it's very gray... If you can't see the toll a Depression would have on the US, let along the World, then there is no convincing you as you believe Covid-19 deaths are worth saving more than economic induced deaths around the World, most likely in numbers that Dwarf this virus.
That's exactly the problem. We have flattened the curve but it is not going down. If you open before it starts going down, you are playing with fire.

You can't shut down forever, but the curve is not going downhill. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. You open this thing back up and it spikes, you are going to do far, far more damage to the economy that what's happening right now. There's going to be no safety net to save the million of people who go under.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:55 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
I think you let the citizens decide. Open up schools again, let all businesses open, let weddings commence and funerals and church services. Our civic leaders can suggest safe practices and social distancing and of course if folks feel uncomfortable that is their prerogative and they can do what they are comfortable doing or not doing. The reason for flattening the curve was to slow the rate of spread as to not overwhelm facilities.....OK, we did it. Now 2 weeks has turned into 8 weeks or longer and economically we are dangerously close to irreparable harm...
Lets not forget how many Hospitals are laying off employees btw.

We were worried about not overwhelming our medical facilities and yet a local hospital in San Diego (a county of over 9 million) just laid off 300 people....and that's happening across the country.

I mean...it's not adding up.
[Reply]
Bearcat 11:55 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
What's your feel on where the "acceptable level" of deaths is for this situation?
:-)

It'll get dangerously close to the dumb "x people die from y every year", but.... if we're not overrunning the hospitals or having it run rampant through the front lines, I do think we have to test the waters, so to speak.... and in many parts of the country, we're probably overdue for it.

The short term goal can't be to eradicate it forever, yet the alternative answers are quite messy.

OTOH, pretty sure I've known a few people who have gotten it.... and reading OTWP's story should scare anyone at least a little, so WTF do any of us know, really.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:56 AM 05-04-2020
I guess my pessimism is just continuing to grow because so many countries around the world are beating this thing, and the U.S. isn't anywhere close. Yet in the face of that, we're getting impatient and moving on as if we were in the "winners" group when we've barely even reached the "flattening" point.

[Reply]
Donger 11:57 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
That's exactly the problem. We have flattened the curve but it is not going down. If you open before it starts going down, you are playing with fire.

You can't shut down forever, but the curve is not going downhill. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. You open this thing back up and it spikes, you are going to do far, far more damage to the economy that what's happening right now. There's going to be no safety net to save the million of people who go under.
Nationally, no, it isn't. But some states are and have met the 10 to 14 day downward trajectory.

But I agree, opening up a state that is seeing continued growth is playing with fire. Like willingly running into a house with a fire that is growing.
[Reply]
jdubya 11:57 AM 05-04-2020

Most hospitals here in the SF Bay Area are so low on patients they are sending doctors and nurses home on furlows.....hospitals are bleeding money due to no patients
[Reply]
BWillie 11:57 AM 05-04-2020

It won't spike near as much as it would have had we not shut down in March-April. The colder, less humid months. The weather will do alot I believe to shield the coronavirus from the ignorant as we are getting pas the cold and flu season, but I do expect Covid-19 cases to spike quite a bit in a few days due to people thinking this is over.

The social distancing enacted was much needed, which is why virtually every country has done so.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:59 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
It won't spike near as much as it would have had we not shut down in March-April. The colder, less humid months. The weather will do alot I believe to shield the coronavirus from the ignorant as we are getting pas the cold and flu season, but I do expect Covid-19 cases to spike quite a bit in a few days due to people thinking this is over.
I don't think we'll see a "spike" so much as we'll see a lack of things getting better. We're just gonna hang out here at ~1500-2500 deaths per day or so for a while.
[Reply]
Bearcat 12:00 PM 05-04-2020

We were worried about not overwhelming our medical facilities and yet a local hospital in San Diego (a county of over 9 million) just laid off 300 people....and that's happening across the country.

I never knew how many people voluntarily go to the hospital to get procedures done... it's pretty crazy.

But yeah, in hindsight at least, I doubt hospitals would cancel all elective surgeries for a month or more again (from my limited knowledge of the situation)... there were so many unknowns though that they pulled the plug on everything that wasn't urgent.
[Reply]
tk13 12:00 PM 05-04-2020

Yeah, but to be honest, pretty much all those jobs will return when things get back to normal. Part of the reason that is happening is because people are not going to the hospital because they're worried about the virus.

It's like everything else, if you increase consumer confidence that they aren't going to risk catching the virus, things will return to normal. This half and half reopen plan is just going to make all these businesses bleed out slowly because none of them are going to be doing the business they were doing before.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:02 PM 05-04-2020
My first inclination is to seriously doubt those numbers because damn near nothing in this country is that one sided. I'd have to ask you to show your work/sources before even considering it to argue against.

Secondly, every decision we make is a selfish decision. Whether its to stay on lockdown to protect the elderly in your family because you're afforded the luxury of that being your primary concern, or wanting to open up because figuring out how to feed your family to the point of relying on Food banks and churches (essentially, allowing your fear to force a family into poverty and homelessness btw) to eat is too stressful and uncertain.

You have your reasons. That guy has his reasons. Your reasons aren't more concerning to him than his own and vice versa.

Blah sorry. The "well i need to protect my elderly" arguments drive me nuts.

EVERYONE has something/someone they are looking to protect.

Our parents and grandparents scarified for years during WWII and rationed food etc. We have only been doing this a couple of months and people are ready to give up. Yes we can't do this forever but we should be doing it until June at least and to be honest we should have been doing the super lockdown instead of half ass measures.
[Reply]
Page 1828 of 3903
« First < 828132817281778181818241825182618271828 182918301831183218381878192823282828 > Last »
Up