ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3051 of 3903
« First < 2051255129513001304130473048304930503051 30523053305430553061310131513551 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:28 AM 10-28-2020
The unseen cost of lockdowns
The effort to shield elderly, frail and disabled residents from the coronavirus has created another wrenching health crisis: The confinement meant to protect the most vulnerable is also threatening their lives.

“The isolation is robbing them of whatever good days they have left — it accelerates the aging process,” Joshua Uy, associate professor at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, said.
One recent study of a Chicago-area nursing home found that from December 2019 to the end of April 2020, two-thirds of the residents had lost weight, in some cases dramatically — a change that researchers attributed to reduced social interaction, the cessation of family visits and schedule changes due to the pandemic.

Confinement, social isolation and the lack of external stimulation are also fueling cognitive decline and depression, which in turn increase the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke, according to Dr. Louise Aronson, a geriatrician and professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco.

“Sometimes the doors to their rooms are open, and you just see someone sitting in a chair with tears running down their face,” Aronson, who is assisting San Francisco’s response to the pandemic in long-term care facilities, said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_tw_ma
[Reply]
Monticore 10-28-2020, 08:40 AM
This message has been deleted by Monticore. Reason: forgot quote
Otter 08:41 AM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by oldandslow:
One of my best friends died last night from Covid. He was 63, a runner, and had no prior conditions that would impact his bout with the disease.

He leaves behind a wife, 2 daughters, and a baby grandchild who will never know his Papa.

This, to me, is the legacy of covid.
I'm sorry.

I'm on information overload on this and trying to figure out how to deal with it myself.

It's a shitty time.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:41 AM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
:-)

What...
just busting your balls while also making fun of Otter's stupid comparison.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:46 AM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
The unseen cost of lockdowns
The effort to shield elderly, frail and disabled residents from the coronavirus has created another wrenching health crisis: The confinement meant to protect the most vulnerable is also threatening their lives.

“The isolation is robbing them of whatever good days they have left — it accelerates the aging process,” Joshua Uy, associate professor at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, said.
One recent study of a Chicago-area nursing home found that from December 2019 to the end of April 2020, two-thirds of the residents had lost weight, in some cases dramatically — a change that researchers attributed to reduced social interaction, the cessation of family visits and schedule changes due to the pandemic.

Confinement, social isolation and the lack of external stimulation are also fueling cognitive decline and depression, which in turn increase the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke, according to Dr. Louise Aronson, a geriatrician and professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco.

“Sometimes the doors to their rooms are open, and you just see someone sitting in a chair with tears running down their face,” Aronson, who is assisting San Francisco’s response to the pandemic in long-term care facilities, said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_tw_ma
They lockdown LTC facilities every year during influenza outbreaks, I understand the duration isn't as long and measures not at severe mostly due to the flu shot, but it isn't a new concept.
[Reply]
O.city 08:53 AM 10-28-2020
It sucks for everyone. It’s a shitty situation where there aren’t good solutions, just trade offs and less bad ones
[Reply]
Otter 09:14 AM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
just busting your balls while also making fun of Otter's stupid comparison.
It may not have been the best analogy but there's a hint of truth.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:30 AM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
It may not have been the best analogy but there's a hint of truth.
Should have used odd there more than stupid there sorry .
[Reply]
Otter 09:31 AM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Should have used odd there more than stupid there sorry .
No problemo, I think we're all taking a bite of shit sandwich from this one and frustrated.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:34 AM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
No problemo, I think we're all taking a bite of shit sandwich from this one.
Yup pretty much.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:40 AM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by oldandslow:
One of my best friends died last night from Covid. He was 63, a runner, and had no prior conditions that would impact his bout with the disease.

He leaves behind a wife, 2 daughters, and a baby grandchild who will never know his Papa.

This, to me, is the legacy of covid.
I am very sorry oldandslow.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:50 AM 10-28-2020
Germany is going back under lock down

Originally Posted by :
German Chancellor Angela Merkel will enact one of Europe's strictest coronavirus lockdowns since spring, closing bars and restaurants nationwide for most of November, Reuters reports.

Why it matters: Germany is the latest European country to reimpose some form of lockdown measures amid a surge in cases across the continent.

Shops will be allowed to remain open so long as they follow social-distancing orders.

Movie theaters, concert halls and sports centers will be closed.

Germany currently has over 472,000 coronavirus cases, per Johns Hopkins University. It has seen almost 10,200 deaths.

[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:11 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I'd be thrilled with 2 weeks behind Germany. The rest of Europe not so much.
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Germany is going back under lock down
Nice call, Suzz.
[Reply]
O.city 12:17 PM 10-28-2020
Europe is where we were a month or two ago

Hopefully we’re farther along
[Reply]
TLO 12:30 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:

We're "2 weeks behind Europe" according to the "experts".
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:34 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:

No it is the opposite. We are behind Europe and it sounds like France is going on a lockdown albeit less strict than the original one.

Originally Posted by :
Dr. Scott Gottlieb told CNBC on Wednesday that the United States’ latest surge in coronavirus cases has the country following the path of Europe, where intensifying outbreaks has nations such as Germany weighing partial lockdowns.

“We’re about maybe three weeks behind Europe. Maybe a month at the most, so we’re on a trajectory to look a lot like Europe as we enter the month of November, so I think things are going to get worse,” Gottlieb said on “Squawk Box.”

[Reply]
Page 3051 of 3903
« First < 2051255129513001304130473048304930503051 30523053305430553061310131513551 > Last »
Up