ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 19
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut
oaklandhater 04:54 PM 02-23-2019
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...licans-1182286

As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut

Size apparently does matter, at least when it comes to tax refunds, and thatís put Republicans on the defensive as Americans start filing their returns.

With headlines blaring about smaller refunds in the first weeks of the three-month filing season, GOP lawmakers and their supporters are working in tandem to remind people that the GOP tax overhaul cut almost everyoneís taxes last year, regardless of what their tax refunds look like this year.

But Americans are accustomed to refunds, often big ones, and IRS statistics showing they are down by an average of 17 percent so far this year have forced a reckoning that conservatives didnít expect. Democrats are doing their best to take advantage of it and ramping up their criticism of the tax overhaul, which passed without a single Democratic vote.

The Treasury Department has taken pains to note the numbers are early, coming just a few weeks after filing officially started Jan. 28.

ďAs we have noted, data this early in the filing season has many aberrations and isnít useful in drawing broad conclusions on refunds overall," a Treasury Department spokesperson said when the latest batch was released Friday night. "There are many factors that impact refunds on a weekly basis that will normalize over time and lead to useful conclusions."

But Democrats think they have the upper hand for now. ďIn politics, if youíre explaining youíre losing,Ē said one Democratic aide, who asked to remain anonymous to freely discuss internal party strategy.

Republicans are acutely aware that there's a public relations problem.

A Feb. 11 tweet from 2020 presidential aspirant Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), charging that the refund decline resulted from a middle-class tax hike under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, drew more attention to the issue, prompting strong Republican pushback.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:05 PM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:

So Iíll keep tossing facts and polls st you guys until the delusion ends and you admit the tax was a scam to save the 1% a ton of cash while I basically got nothing
Start contributing the US economy in some capacity beyond being a register biscuit at a Dollar General.
[Reply]
patteeu 05:08 PM 02-24-2019

And pretty much every economist called the new tax plan shit.

So Iíll keep tossing facts and polls st you guys until the delusion ends and you admit the tax was a scam to save the 1% a ton of cash while I basically got nothing
That's not even close to true. For example...

An open letter to Congress signed by 137 economists supporting GOP tax reform bill
[Reply]
D2112 05:10 PM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
That's not even close to true. For example...

An open letter to Congress signed by 137 economists supporting GOP tax reform bill
Lol end/thread
[Reply]
2bikemike 05:13 PM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
If you aren't maxed out in your 401k and you let the government collect money they have to give back you're stupid.

It isn't about it being an interest free loan to the government, it's what you can be doing with that money all year long.
I used to do my Sister in Laws taxes, She would get back 3 or 4 grand every year. She contributed the minimum to her 401k just to get the employer match. I told her she was foolish for not taking that money throughout the year and putting it in her 401k. I asked how she planned on retiring? She just said "Oh I'll probably work until I die!"

As the old axiom goes, You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink!
[Reply]
Eleazar 05:14 PM 02-24-2019
Sadly, most idiots probably think a smaller tax refund means they’re paying more in taxes, when the actual truth is that they’re paying less and they got bigger paychecks all year instead
[Reply]
Demonpenz 05:20 PM 02-24-2019
Everyone does awesome on their taxes their jobs are awesome then I see them at chiefs games and it is clear they are not doing well. Exept for tiny evil. He was in home and gardenings and shit.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 05:21 PM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by 2bikemike:
I used to do my Sister in Laws taxes, She would get back 3 or 4 grand every year. She contributed the minimum to her 401k just to get the employer match. I told her she was foolish for not taking that money throughout the year and putting it in her 401k. I asked how she planned on retiring? She just said "Oh I'll probably work until I die!"

As the old axiom goes, You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink!
Galaxy has a way of making sure you live long enough to regret not saving.
[Reply]
Bwana 05:45 PM 02-24-2019
Iíve posted a few time actually.

And I still check up on it

[Reply]
BucEyedPea 06:09 PM 02-24-2019
I’ve posted a few time actually.

So I’ll keep tossing facts and polls st you guys until the delusion ends and you admit the tax was a scam to save the 1% a ton of cash while I basically got nothing
Facts? You cited some opinions of some economists—because you can't tell yourself if it's a shit tax plan. Polls are also about people's opinions.

You're arguing from logical fallacies. Solely appealing to authority and because what a number of people think. There are different schools of thought in economics too.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 06:30 PM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by 2bikemike:

I cannot get the wife convinced otherwise either. Strictly enough to get the company match. Not a penny more :-)
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 06:36 PM 02-24-2019
Iíve posted a few time actually.

Why would any economist favor any tax plan we have when we're 22 trillion in debt?

However, your response tells us that you still don't get it. You paid less taxes. you just don't realize it cuz you don't manage your withholdings properly. But just so you understand, you are claiming that you are in the 3% of American taxpayers that were negatively impacted by the tax reform. I guess that means you're in the top 3%?
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:52 PM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
It's so weird that people look at tax refunds as some kind of savings vehicle. Anything they would give you back was your money to f****** begin with. my advice is don't give it to him in the first place.
Thatís true except for the refundable credits. EITC is the main one that fleeces America.

Originally Posted by lewdog:
I thought with my capital gains added in and putting 2 allowances due to having a child and one income, Iíd be near $0 or a small refund ($500). Not sure why Iím getting such a big return. Makes me question what TurboTax is doing. Lol
Exemptions are no more but the Child Tax credit went from 500 to 2000. Without seeing the 1040 Iím guessing thatís the difference. Unless you calculated the gain or the taxation of the gain incorrectly.
[Reply]
theoldcoach 07:16 PM 02-24-2019
Any economist that says that the average American worker got **cked by the new tax plan, is the biggest idiot of the bunch.

It is one thing for a person to just not understand and be stupid about taxes and how they work.

But it is something altogether different to be educated and have a degree in economics and spout this nonsense. If any economist is saying that, then they are either #1 a liar......or #2 a totally blundering idiot...………..#3 a democrat with TDS lying for political purposes.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 07:44 PM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
Also, there has to be a small group like me. I wrote the government a check one of my first years filing taxes. It was for $22. I will never forget that. Decided right then and there that I will never again write the government a check at tax time. So I always take extra out of my check during the year.

Also want to add, I am one of those people Oakland is crying over. My refund was smaller than last year. Couldn't claim our boys this year. I blame Trump :-)
You are a weird dude.
[Reply]
Warrior5 07:57 PM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by theoldcoach:
Any economist that says that the average American worker got **cked by the new tax plan, is the biggest idiot of the bunch.

It is one thing for a person to just not understand and be stupid about taxes and how they work.

But it is something altogether different to be educated and have a degree in economics and spout this nonsense. If any economist is saying that, then they are either #1 a liar......or #2 a totally blundering idiot...ÖÖÖ..#3 a democrat with TDS lying for political purposes.
Bingo. Idiotic premise that, unfortunately, a lot of ignorant people buy hook, line, and sinker.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 19
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up