ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 19
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut
oaklandhater 04:54 PM 02-23-2019
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...licans-1182286

As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut

Size apparently does matter, at least when it comes to tax refunds, and thatís put Republicans on the defensive as Americans start filing their returns.

With headlines blaring about smaller refunds in the first weeks of the three-month filing season, GOP lawmakers and their supporters are working in tandem to remind people that the GOP tax overhaul cut almost everyoneís taxes last year, regardless of what their tax refunds look like this year.

But Americans are accustomed to refunds, often big ones, and IRS statistics showing they are down by an average of 17 percent so far this year have forced a reckoning that conservatives didnít expect. Democrats are doing their best to take advantage of it and ramping up their criticism of the tax overhaul, which passed without a single Democratic vote.

The Treasury Department has taken pains to note the numbers are early, coming just a few weeks after filing officially started Jan. 28.

ďAs we have noted, data this early in the filing season has many aberrations and isnít useful in drawing broad conclusions on refunds overall," a Treasury Department spokesperson said when the latest batch was released Friday night. "There are many factors that impact refunds on a weekly basis that will normalize over time and lead to useful conclusions."

But Democrats think they have the upper hand for now. ďIn politics, if youíre explaining youíre losing,Ē said one Democratic aide, who asked to remain anonymous to freely discuss internal party strategy.

Republicans are acutely aware that there's a public relations problem.

A Feb. 11 tweet from 2020 presidential aspirant Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), charging that the refund decline resulted from a middle-class tax hike under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, drew more attention to the issue, prompting strong Republican pushback.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 11:12 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
and skiing the K-12
That was a FBI cocaine operation gone bad
[Reply]
Bob Dole 11:26 AM 02-24-2019
All the evidence you need that people are generally stupid.
[Reply]
patteeu 11:27 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
Good God Patt. Have you never seen the documentary
Better off dead?
It's all about 2 dollars, a thug with a bike and a switchknife comb and a CIA spook code named Booger.
It's one of my favorites! $2 was big money back then.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 11:30 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
That was a FBI cocaine operation gone bad
It was a shame what happened to that kid Ricky's mom. Very tragic because I believe that her face blew up.
[Reply]
stevieray 11:33 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Now, that I've done my return as a self-employed person for last year, I only saw a $250 difference. Meh!
me too, but we pay one of the highest percentages..

ANY TIME I get money back, I'm thrilled.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 11:34 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
Also, there has to be a small group like me. I wrote the government a check one of my first years filing taxes. It was for $22. I will never forget that. Decided right then and there that I will never again write the government a check at tax time. So I always take extra out of my check during the year.

Also want to add, I am one of those people Oakland is crying over. My refund was smaller than last year. Couldn't claim our boys this year. I blame Trump :-)
I wrote the IRS a check one year for $3200. Felt like a warm bucket of water got dumped over my head the second time I came up with the same number. Didn't realize my second job was withholding far less than they should have been.
[Reply]
2bikemike 11:45 AM 02-24-2019
I agree that you really wouldn't earn much interest on the money you could have gotten through out the year by paying in more taxes than required to get that lump sum at the end of the year.

But on the other hand the Govt. will penalize you for paying less than 90% of your taxes throughout the year. They surely aren't going to reward you for paying 110% of what you owe throughout the year. So screw them my goal is to be between 90-100%.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 11:45 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
I wrote the IRS a check one year for $3200. Felt like a warm bucket of water got dumped over my head the second time I came up with the same number. Didn't realize my second job was withholding far less than they should have been.

Ah.....those were the days :-)

This year? I get a staggering $12 refund from Uncle and nothing from the state....sounds bad, right?

No complaints here - I pay next to nothing in taxes (being old and all)......
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 12:39 PM 02-24-2019
I've been trying to think of the nicest way to say this today, but if you don't understand how your taxes work, then why should I trust your judgment about anything the government does related to spending and programs?

You might say we need this or that, but you don't even take the time to manage your own taxes or understand how your financial choices impact your cash flow. Some might be young and are just learning. I get it. I understand. I've been there.

But understand that you need to understand your taxes and the laws around taxes to make effective decisions. Not only the ones in close proximity to you but how they impact others when you favor certain laws or initiatives. It's really easy to say, for example, that we should eliminate private insurance, but what about the people that do that for a living? It's simple to say we should take all of our military spending and shift it to renewable energy, but what about the people that work in the military?

I am not saying don't support those things you are passionate about, but be reasonable about what you want. There is a cost associated with all of it, and the person that say the cost be damned might not be reasonable.
[Reply]
jjjayb 03:25 PM 02-24-2019
And Oaklandhater was never seen again in this thread. :-)
[Reply]
D2112 04:34 PM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by jjjayb:
Heís arguing with his mother about why the family accountant didnít explain all these incredible things to him (while heís pointing at chiefsplanet on his monitor)
[Reply]
mlyonsd 04:37 PM 02-24-2019
If you aren't maxed out in your 401k and you let the government collect money they have to give back you're stupid.

It isn't about it being an interest free loan to the government, it's what you can be doing with that money all year long.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 05:00 PM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by jjjayb:
Iíve posted a few time actually.

And I still check up on it

And pretty much every economist called the new tax plan shit.

So Iíll keep tossing facts and polls st you guys until the delusion ends and you admit the tax was a scam to save the 1% a ton of cash while I basically got nothing
[Reply]
BDj23 05:03 PM 02-24-2019
My tax return got fucked in the ass due to my wife having insurance through the Obamacare marketplace.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 05:05 PM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
Iíve posted a few time actually.

And I still check up on it

And pretty much every economist called the new tax plan shit.

So Iíll keep tossing facts and polls st you guys until the delusion ends and you admit the tax was a scam to save the 1% a ton of cash while I basically got nothing

Economists that work for the DNC don't count.....(much to your dismay).....
[Reply]
Page 8 of 19
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up