ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 19
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut
oaklandhater 04:54 PM 02-23-2019
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...licans-1182286

As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut

Size apparently does matter, at least when it comes to tax refunds, and thatís put Republicans on the defensive as Americans start filing their returns.

With headlines blaring about smaller refunds in the first weeks of the three-month filing season, GOP lawmakers and their supporters are working in tandem to remind people that the GOP tax overhaul cut almost everyoneís taxes last year, regardless of what their tax refunds look like this year.

But Americans are accustomed to refunds, often big ones, and IRS statistics showing they are down by an average of 17 percent so far this year have forced a reckoning that conservatives didnít expect. Democrats are doing their best to take advantage of it and ramping up their criticism of the tax overhaul, which passed without a single Democratic vote.

The Treasury Department has taken pains to note the numbers are early, coming just a few weeks after filing officially started Jan. 28.

ďAs we have noted, data this early in the filing season has many aberrations and isnít useful in drawing broad conclusions on refunds overall," a Treasury Department spokesperson said when the latest batch was released Friday night. "There are many factors that impact refunds on a weekly basis that will normalize over time and lead to useful conclusions."

But Democrats think they have the upper hand for now. ďIn politics, if youíre explaining youíre losing,Ē said one Democratic aide, who asked to remain anonymous to freely discuss internal party strategy.

Republicans are acutely aware that there's a public relations problem.

A Feb. 11 tweet from 2020 presidential aspirant Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), charging that the refund decline resulted from a middle-class tax hike under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, drew more attention to the issue, prompting strong Republican pushback.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:45 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
I'm a moron :-)
FYP bro.
[Reply]
D2112 09:46 AM 02-24-2019
I like breaking even, or as close to it as possible. Usually I pay a minimal amount for federal and always get a return on state taxes. Oaklandhater has a huge nothingburger going on here. The crocodile tears are entertaining though
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 09:53 AM 02-24-2019
You do realize the second part of my post was snark/sarcasm, right? :-)
I did not!

:-)
[Reply]
Over Yonder 09:53 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
FYP bro.
:-)

Fair enough.

(note to self, never do sarcasm unless you do it with a disclaimer inSIZE 7)
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 09:53 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
He understands all this. He just doesn't value the same things as you. I'm sure he understands the whole interest free loan thing. Realistically though, if you get a few hundred dollars in a refund, how much interest did you really forego in today's environment? A dollar? Two? Big deal.
For sure.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:00 AM 02-24-2019
Also, there has to be a small group like me. I wrote the government a check one of my first years filing taxes. It was for $22. I will never forget that. Decided right then and there that I will never again write the government a check at tax time. So I always take extra out of my check during the year.

Also want to add, I am one of those people Oakland is crying over. My refund was smaller than last year. Couldn't claim our boys this year. I blame Trump :-)
But more than likely your tax liability was less than in 2018 with the increase in the standard deducdtion and reduction of tax rates. I highly doubt you paid more in taxes as the withholding tables were changed and most likely added to your paychecks.
[Reply]
notorious 10:03 AM 02-24-2019
A lot of people donít understand how it works, and the media is taking advantage of their misunderstanding.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 10:10 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
But more than likely your tax liability was less than in 2018 with the increase in the standard deducdtion and reduction of tax rates. I highly doubt you paid more in taxes as the withholding tables were changed and most likely added to your paychecks.
Yep, it was. I was trying to be smirk and my sense of humor doesn't portray well. Yea, the reason for my slightly smaller tax return was because my deductions went from 5 to 3. My boys grew up and became useful Americans so we couldn't claim them.

That's one U.S. Marine and one welder put into the system earning their own way and paying their own taxes :-) Now, I've got one daughter left at home, and she used the phrase "...and that triggered me" last night during a conversation.

....I've got my work cut out for me with this one :-)
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:13 AM 02-24-2019
Yep, it was. I was trying to be smirk and my sense of humor doesn't portray well. Yea, the reason for my slightly smaller tax return was because my deductions went from 5 to 3. My boys grew up and became useful Americans so we couldn't claim them.

That's one U.S. Marine and one welder put into the system earning their own way and paying their own taxes :-) Now, I've got one daughter left at home, and she used the phrase "...and that triggered me" last night during a conversation.

....I've got my work cut out for me with this one :-)
Sounds like you've shown them the right ways to do things. That's the battle and they usually all come around when they get older! 2 down 3 to go, keep up the good work.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:21 AM 02-24-2019
Mine is TBD.
Any money I did get in my pocket went to Hennepin County and NDSU.
Thank god the wife got a large bonus.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 10:22 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
A lot of people don’t understand how it works, and the media is taking advantage of their misunderstanding.
The media......you mean the propaganda arm of the DNC? :-)
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:57 AM 02-24-2019
Now, that I've done my return as a self-employed person for last year, I only saw a $250 difference. Meh!
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:09 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Now, that I've done my return as a self-employed person for last year, I only saw a $250 difference. Meh!
Did you use or qualify for the 20% pass through deduction?
[Reply]
LiveSteam 11:10 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
He understands all this. He just doesn't value the same things as you. I'm sure he understands the whole interest free loan thing. Realistically though, if you get a few hundred dollars in a refund, how much interest did you really forego in today's environment? A dollar? Two? Big deal.
Good God Patt. Have you never seen the documentary
Better off dead?
It's all about 2 dollars, a thug with a bike and a switchknife comb and a CIA spook code named Booger.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:11 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
Good God Patt. Have you never seen the documentary
Better off dead?
It's all about 2 dollars, a thug with a bike and a switchknife comb and a CIA spook code named Booger.
and skiing the K-12
[Reply]
Page 7 of 19
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up