ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 19
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut
oaklandhater 04:54 PM 02-23-2019
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...licans-1182286

As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut

Size apparently does matter, at least when it comes to tax refunds, and that’s put Republicans on the defensive as Americans start filing their returns.

With headlines blaring about smaller refunds in the first weeks of the three-month filing season, GOP lawmakers and their supporters are working in tandem to remind people that the GOP tax overhaul cut almost everyone’s taxes last year, regardless of what their tax refunds look like this year.

But Americans are accustomed to refunds, often big ones, and IRS statistics showing they are down by an average of 17 percent so far this year have forced a reckoning that conservatives didn’t expect. Democrats are doing their best to take advantage of it and ramping up their criticism of the tax overhaul, which passed without a single Democratic vote.

The Treasury Department has taken pains to note the numbers are early, coming just a few weeks after filing officially started Jan. 28.

“As we have noted, data this early in the filing season has many aberrations and isn’t useful in drawing broad conclusions on refunds overall," a Treasury Department spokesperson said when the latest batch was released Friday night. "There are many factors that impact refunds on a weekly basis that will normalize over time and lead to useful conclusions."

But Democrats think they have the upper hand for now. “In politics, if you’re explaining you’re losing,” said one Democratic aide, who asked to remain anonymous to freely discuss internal party strategy.

Republicans are acutely aware that there's a public relations problem.

A Feb. 11 tweet from 2020 presidential aspirant Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), charging that the refund decline resulted from a middle-class tax hike under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, drew more attention to the issue, prompting strong Republican pushback.
[Reply]
007 12:03 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Yay. People are giving the government less in interest free loans.
Bingo
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 12:05 AM 02-24-2019
It's so weird that people look at tax refunds as some kind of savings vehicle. Anything they would give you back was your money to f****** begin with. my advice is don't give it to him in the first place.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 12:15 AM 02-24-2019
So I gave a smaller no interest loan to the government last year? OH THE HORROR!
[Reply]
Johnny Vegas 12:40 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Mine did...sucks to be you.
Huh what a response from someone whose for the American people.
[Reply]
Hamwallet 01:42 AM 02-24-2019
I live in Georgia and my main residence is Blue Springs. I claim 0. Between my mortgage and my rent for my 2 bed apartment I spend around $2,100 a month. Guess what. I am not surprised by taxes. If you plan your year around your tax return you need to rethink your life plan.
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:28 AM 02-24-2019
I claim 5 allowances, made 15k more than last year, and still got about the same amount back. Not going to complain one bit. The way the media is trying to spin this shit is retarded. It gets idiots up in arms.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 04:14 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
It's so weird that people look at tax refunds as some kind of savings vehicle. Anything they would give you back was your money to f****** begin with. my advice is don't give it to him in the first place.
Nailed it.
[Reply]
patteeu 06:09 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by Monkey God:
Anybody bitching about smaller refunds doesn't understand income tax. It's just repayment of principal for an interest free loan you gave the government. The goal is to zero out when filing. In the long term it's better to owe than to get a refund if money is to change hands. Media and marketing have brainwashed people into thinking a tax refund is some kind of windfall.
This makes mathematical sense and it’s the right approach for people with discipline. For some people, giving up the potential interest to have someone hold on to that money so they don’t squander it during the year might make more sense psychologically.
[Reply]
InChiefsHell 06:20 AM 02-24-2019
As long as I'm not paying in at tax time, I won.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 07:11 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
Notice how Oakie never addresses the spending side that's going on? Yeah, because that would implicate his side and he can't face that.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:27 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
not mine.
Well, wouldn't you need an actual job for that to happen? Get out of your dads basement.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:31 AM 02-24-2019
Tax Pro has become the new 10" dick as the board ages.
[Reply]
patteeu 07:48 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Tax Pro has become the new 10" dick as the board ages.
It seems like there’s only one tax return fabulist in this thread and he’s claiming only 2”.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:41 AM 02-24-2019
I thought with my capital gains added in and putting 2 allowances due to having a child and one income, I’d be near $0 or a small refund ($500). Not sure why I’m getting such a big return. Makes me question what TurboTax is doing. Lol
[Reply]
Randallflagg 08:43 AM 02-24-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
So you paid approx. $1000 less in taxes but it was dispersed throughout the year in your check and you are pissed... You understand this isn't a good look for you?

:-). :-)
[Reply]
Page 5 of 19
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up