ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 19
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut
oaklandhater 04:54 PM 02-23-2019
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...licans-1182286

As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut

Size apparently does matter, at least when it comes to tax refunds, and that’s put Republicans on the defensive as Americans start filing their returns.

With headlines blaring about smaller refunds in the first weeks of the three-month filing season, GOP lawmakers and their supporters are working in tandem to remind people that the GOP tax overhaul cut almost everyone’s taxes last year, regardless of what their tax refunds look like this year.

But Americans are accustomed to refunds, often big ones, and IRS statistics showing they are down by an average of 17 percent so far this year have forced a reckoning that conservatives didn’t expect. Democrats are doing their best to take advantage of it and ramping up their criticism of the tax overhaul, which passed without a single Democratic vote.

The Treasury Department has taken pains to note the numbers are early, coming just a few weeks after filing officially started Jan. 28.

“As we have noted, data this early in the filing season has many aberrations and isn’t useful in drawing broad conclusions on refunds overall," a Treasury Department spokesperson said when the latest batch was released Friday night. "There are many factors that impact refunds on a weekly basis that will normalize over time and lead to useful conclusions."

But Democrats think they have the upper hand for now. “In politics, if you’re explaining you’re losing,” said one Democratic aide, who asked to remain anonymous to freely discuss internal party strategy.

Republicans are acutely aware that there's a public relations problem.

A Feb. 11 tweet from 2020 presidential aspirant Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), charging that the refund decline resulted from a middle-class tax hike under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, drew more attention to the issue, prompting strong Republican pushback.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 08:59 PM 02-23-2019
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Let me make this easy for my liberal counterparts...

You got more in your check throughout the year....

That means...

You paid less in taxes throughout the year....

That means...

You didn't over pay as much as you had in previous years....

That means....

Your refund will be smaller

It's called math
Orange man bad. Have to scream to sky.
[Reply]
D2112 09:00 PM 02-23-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
So you paid approx. $1000 less in taxes but it was dispersed throughout the year in your check and you are pissed... You understand this isn't a good look for you?
Lol you scared him away from his angry/#orangemanbad thread.

Good job!
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 09:01 PM 02-23-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
So you paid approx. $1000 less in taxes but it was dispersed throughout the year in your check and you are pissed... You understand this isn't a good look for you?
Because withholding makes people not think that they are giving the government a interest free loan.

If you magically removed withholding and made everybody stroke a check on April 15th, Washington would get burned to the ground.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:06 PM 02-23-2019
I was pleasantly surprised actually.

I had a slight pay raise (5%) but my wife didn't work, so single income household. We always did Married with no other allowances and ended up with a small return each year. This year I did married but had 2 allowances. My checks were bigger and with the child tax credit my return is going to be over $3k. This is after making some money in the stock market too. I was shocked.

No complaints here.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:17 PM 02-23-2019
I eat lunch with a bunch of guys, a few have the TDS bad. A week ago this subject came up. They were complaining on their smaller refunds. I sat there listening to them bitch about trump until one said he was 'really counting on that refund'.

So I jumped in and asked him if he paid less in federal tax. He gave me the blank stare, couldn't answer. I then asked him why he lends his money to the government at no interest for 12 months. Blank stare.

He's a millennial but should be smart enough to understand how taxation works. Liberals are scary.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 09:27 PM 02-23-2019
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
I eat lunch with a bunch of guys, a few have the TDS bad. A week ago this subject came up. They were complaining on their smaller refunds. I sat there listening to them bitch about trump until one said he was 'really counting on that refund'.

So I jumped in and asked him if he paid less in federal tax. He gave me the blank stare, couldn't answer. I then asked him why he lends his money to the government at no interest for 12 months. Blank stare.

He's a millennial but should be smart enough to understand how taxation works. Liberals are scary.
So much truth.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:39 PM 02-23-2019
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
So much truth.
As an after thought I should have told him to give me a check now for the refund he wants next year and I'd give it back. He might have understood it better.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:05 PM 02-23-2019
my refund doubled this year

TRUMP!
[Reply]
Monkey God 10:11 PM 02-23-2019
Anybody bitching about smaller refunds doesn't understand income tax. It's just repayment of principal for an interest free loan you gave the government. The goal is to zero out when filing. In the long term it's better to owe than to get a refund if money is to change hands. Media and marketing have brainwashed people into thinking a tax refund is some kind of windfall.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:54 PM 02-23-2019
In my experience this year, the op is a wildly fabricated lie

My federal tax return was strong, my democrat state return is a joke... Illinois isn't giving you a damn thing back this year

Here's your carton of cigs you dirty masses, smoke up
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:03 PM 02-23-2019
The average person equates their tax liability to their refund. Even if that person paid less taxes in the long run, they will only notice the annual refund and quickly blame Trump.

I wouldn't have fucked with the with the withholding figures at all and let them see the higher returns if I were him.

It makes absolutely no sense at all, but it's a thing.
[Reply]
jaa1025 11:14 PM 02-23-2019
Not sure what people expected. They paid less taxes hence the smaller refund.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:15 PM 02-23-2019
Originally Posted by Monkey God:
Anybody bitching about smaller refunds doesn't understand income tax. It's just repayment of principal for an interest free loan you gave the government. The goal is to zero out when filing. In the long term it's better to owe than to get a refund if money is to change hands. Media and marketing have brainwashed people into thinking a tax refund is some kind of windfall.
I had someone tell me that they were angry because of the smaller refund. I asked whether or not the year long paycheck had been larger or smaller after taxes. After being told that it was higher, I was told

"But I'm still pissed. The difference isn't as much when it's paycheck to paycheck, and I spend it. If it was withheld, I'd get a big check back and could use it to spend on big projects, or make big payments on my credit cards."

At that point, I just walked away.
[Reply]
Hamwallet 11:18 PM 02-23-2019
Lefties complaining about tax refunds when the overall is less.... but then want more taxes for social programs. You guys are cute.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:21 PM 02-23-2019
Originally Posted by jaa1025:
Not sure what people expected. They paid less taxes hence the smaller refund.
Goddamn voodoo practicer and all your...fucking....math!
[Reply]
Page 4 of 19
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up