ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 19
« First < 81415161718 19 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut
oaklandhater 04:54 PM 02-23-2019
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...licans-1182286

As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut

Size apparently does matter, at least when it comes to tax refunds, and that’s put Republicans on the defensive as Americans start filing their returns.

With headlines blaring about smaller refunds in the first weeks of the three-month filing season, GOP lawmakers and their supporters are working in tandem to remind people that the GOP tax overhaul cut almost everyone’s taxes last year, regardless of what their tax refunds look like this year.

But Americans are accustomed to refunds, often big ones, and IRS statistics showing they are down by an average of 17 percent so far this year have forced a reckoning that conservatives didn’t expect. Democrats are doing their best to take advantage of it and ramping up their criticism of the tax overhaul, which passed without a single Democratic vote.

The Treasury Department has taken pains to note the numbers are early, coming just a few weeks after filing officially started Jan. 28.

“As we have noted, data this early in the filing season has many aberrations and isn’t useful in drawing broad conclusions on refunds overall," a Treasury Department spokesperson said when the latest batch was released Friday night. "There are many factors that impact refunds on a weekly basis that will normalize over time and lead to useful conclusions."

But Democrats think they have the upper hand for now. “In politics, if you’re explaining you’re losing,” said one Democratic aide, who asked to remain anonymous to freely discuss internal party strategy.

Republicans are acutely aware that there's a public relations problem.

A Feb. 11 tweet from 2020 presidential aspirant Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), charging that the refund decline resulted from a middle-class tax hike under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, drew more attention to the issue, prompting strong Republican pushback.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:27 PM 04-14-2019
Our refund has me supporting our nation's wonderful President like never before.

President Trump is awesome....
[Reply]
LiveSteam 09:43 PM 04-14-2019
Same.. I couldn't be happier
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:59 PM 04-14-2019
Missouri taxes wiped out my Federal return.

So that was nice.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 10:20 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:

So that was nice.
Go raid Laurence Kansas.
Trust me. You'll feel better.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 10:21 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
I think his Mommy put him in a straight jacket and locked the basement door.
Still alive just been swamped with work and trying to get my gf to move to my state
[Reply]
LiveSteam 10:25 PM 04-14-2019
She must be one dumb cunt
[Reply]
oaklandhater 10:28 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
She must be one dumb ****
Rot in hell as always Livesteam :-)
[Reply]
Over Yonder 10:31 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:

So that was nice.
Missouri taxes caught us once also. Now we just claim married and zero. And $5/check extra just to be safe. Been getting a decent refund every since :-)
[Reply]
LiveSteam 10:32 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
Rot in hell as always Livesteam :-)
Truth hurts huh?
I bet you met her online.
I bet you've never met her in person and you send that online pic, you're in love with, money every week, hoping she's real and not a scam.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 10:36 PM 04-14-2019
Still alive just been swamped with work and trying to get my gf to move to my state
Welcome back, Oakland! :-)

Where is she from? Did you find a Missouri native?
[Reply]
oaklandhater 11:18 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
Welcome back, Oakland! :-)

Where is she from? Did you find a Missouri native?
Carolina she is a old family friend who’s parents went to college with my dad.

Trying to get her to the Bay Area but she thinks it’s danerogus lmao
[Reply]
2bikemike 12:51 AM 04-15-2019

What is danerogus? Is that the result of homelessness in the streets of SF? :-)

If I were you I would be heading to Carolina to join her! Much nicer and way more affordable.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:00 AM 04-15-2019

Christ man, who would want to move there? It's mostly just dangerous to your money. Quality of life is probably higher where she lives. Find a job there dude.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 07:19 AM 04-15-2019

That's good. I was worried you might be getting catfished...
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:20 PM 04-15-2019
Well, I did my taxes... Got caught in the SALT and Interest deductions, which I thought I would. These were capped which lowered my deduction by about $16,000. However, I made $20,000 more, and had $16,000 less in itemized deductions and my effective tax rate was less than a half % more. My effective rate would have been less, if income would have been the same. Not bad with the amount of state and local taxes I pay and interest on 2 mortgages. Overall, good news.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 19
« First < 81415161718 19 >
Up