ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 19
1 234511 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut
oaklandhater 04:54 PM 02-23-2019
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...licans-1182286

As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut

Size apparently does matter, at least when it comes to tax refunds, and that’s put Republicans on the defensive as Americans start filing their returns.

With headlines blaring about smaller refunds in the first weeks of the three-month filing season, GOP lawmakers and their supporters are working in tandem to remind people that the GOP tax overhaul cut almost everyone’s taxes last year, regardless of what their tax refunds look like this year.

But Americans are accustomed to refunds, often big ones, and IRS statistics showing they are down by an average of 17 percent so far this year have forced a reckoning that conservatives didn’t expect. Democrats are doing their best to take advantage of it and ramping up their criticism of the tax overhaul, which passed without a single Democratic vote.

The Treasury Department has taken pains to note the numbers are early, coming just a few weeks after filing officially started Jan. 28.

“As we have noted, data this early in the filing season has many aberrations and isn’t useful in drawing broad conclusions on refunds overall," a Treasury Department spokesperson said when the latest batch was released Friday night. "There are many factors that impact refunds on a weekly basis that will normalize over time and lead to useful conclusions."

But Democrats think they have the upper hand for now. “In politics, if you’re explaining you’re losing,” said one Democratic aide, who asked to remain anonymous to freely discuss internal party strategy.

Republicans are acutely aware that there's a public relations problem.

A Feb. 11 tweet from 2020 presidential aspirant Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), charging that the refund decline resulted from a middle-class tax hike under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, drew more attention to the issue, prompting strong Republican pushback.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 04:55 PM 02-23-2019
fucking called it.

come and eat your crow assholes.

Average tax refunds down double-digits, IRS data shows

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...irs-data-shows
[Reply]
Donger 05:01 PM 02-23-2019
But the Trump administration and GOP lawmakers have stressed that most people are getting a tax cut, even if their refund is smaller.

"The size of someone’s tax refund says nothing about whether their taxes have gone up or down," the Treasury spokesperson said. "As we have said, most people are seeing the benefits of the tax cut in larger paychecks throughout the year, instead of tax refunds that are the result of people overpaying the government."

and

Experts say the 2017 tax bill lowered most individual rates and nearly doubled the standard deduction.

This past year under the new tax law, experts say most people got more in take-home pay every month.

"Maybe a thousand dollars more over the course of the year,” Burns said. “But it was in such small increments it didn't feel like it. But when you get $500 less on your return at end of the year, now you feel that."

[Reply]
Donger 05:01 PM 02-23-2019
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
****ing called it.

Eat crow? Net income went up, no?
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 05:01 PM 02-23-2019
Dude, this has been covered in multiple thread this year. This article was regurgitated again in USA today this week after being pushed by other large MSM publications over the last few weeks. The Did you read the article? Only about 4 million Americans will pay higher taxes and this are all in the high end of the upper class and millionaires. This is due to large mortgages and high local taxes, or personal business expenses(loopholes) that were closed. Everyone else gets a tax break. This article is such a shitty spin with so few tax returns having gone out the door as well. The IRS in general have done a good job with making interest free loans to the government sound like a good deal. The folks in the article took no personal responsibility to understand their own financial situation which is pathetic. They also pushed this story out as most earned income refunds haven't been processed as well. This is nothing more than propaganda.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 05:02 PM 02-23-2019
****ing called it.

Yay. People are giving the government less in interest free loans.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 05:02 PM 02-23-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Eat crow? Net income went up, no?
not mine.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 05:03 PM 02-23-2019
****ing called it.

You are a dumb mother fucker... Seriously.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 05:03 PM 02-23-2019
not mine.
Daddy cut you off?
[Reply]
CoMoChief 05:04 PM 02-23-2019
not mine.
Mine did...sucks to be you.
[Reply]
MTG#10 05:04 PM 02-23-2019
fucking called it.

Do you know how I know you're a dumbass?
[Reply]
oaklandhater 05:04 PM 02-23-2019
even with my tax returns I'm still out about 150$ less than last year.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 05:06 PM 02-23-2019
not mine.
Liar... Ask Suzzer if he wants to discuss this again...

I guarantee you paid less in taxes this year, by a lot. The only way you didn't pay less, is if you paid nothing at all.

Answer these questions.

What was your general income for 2018?
Was this more or less than in 2017?
Do you rent or own a home?
Are you married or single?

That's all you need to answer and I can prove you paid less or it stayed at $0.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 05:07 PM 02-23-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Liar... Ask Suzzer if he wants to discuss this again...

I guarantee you paid less in taxes this year, by a lot. The only way you didn't pay less, is if you paid nothing at all.

Answer these questions.

What was your general income for 2018?
Was this more or less than in 2017?
Do you rent or own a home?
Are you married or single?

That's all you need to answer and I can prove you paid less or it stayed at $0.
1.1k higher
2.more
3.yes
4.single

still got about 150 less even if you add in what I made this year vs my tax return last year
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 05:08 PM 02-23-2019
even with my tax returns I'm still out about 150$ less than last year.

Fucking Liar, based on your own admissions on here.

You've shared your income previously? $50k or so if I remember right, and you rent and I don't believe you are married?

Why do you want to lie? Was your refund $150 smaller or was your tax bill $150 higher?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 19
1 234511 > Last »
Up