JohnnyHammersticks 08:57 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by In58men:
Can somebody create a “2024 Free Agency” thread, please. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Done
[Reply]
DRM08 03:28 PM 03-11-2024
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Winning the Super Bowl last season has messed with people. First, it was a razors edge that we won the final two playoff games. Credit to the defense and some timely Mahomes led drives though. Secondly, the reclamation project/failure WR group was a huge issue all season and it never did work out for any of them yet people think we can just do it again. Sure we could, but who wants to run back those kinds of WR issues?
Veach's comments since winning the Super Bowl have made it clear that he's very aware of the WR problems. He straight up said he was worried they might even miss the Playoffs, which is a shocking admission from the GM.

Really hoping they can find a Draft pick of similar quality to Rashee Rice. Can't afford more busts like Skyy Moore & Kadarius Toney. It would be nice to find an inexpensive veteran with reliable hands & route running as well.
[Reply]
chiefs1111 03:29 PM 03-11-2024
Lenoard Floyd to 49ers. 2 years 24 m 12 m guaranteed
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:29 PM 03-11-2024
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Honestly, that's what scares me the most.

That they were willing to pay $11M for a 48% success rate and 680 yards on 80 targets and were FINE with it.
Eh - I think they had a $4.5 million cap hit on him that year. And didn't have anyone even at Rice's level on the roster after the Hill trade. So they were looking for anyone they could find who could pull the safeties off Kelce (and eventually JJSS).

MVS did that until the wheels came off in 2023.

Just look at how much different the offense looked in 2022 when they got what they expected from him. It worked. Extremely well. And he came with a low cap hit and a relatively reasonable escape hatch.

I see that contract as a mild disappointment because of how worthless he was for most of the 2023 regular season but honestly, on balance, it was...fine. Okay. It wasn't even in the top half of 'bad' contracts handed out that off-season, IMO.

If you have an MVS sort of contract on your books where you overpay by maybe 20% but get roughly what you expected from that player, well hell man, that's just the nature of FA.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 03:30 PM 03-11-2024
Comes down to cost and value.

I would prefer Ridley or Hollywood but would I rather have Ridley at 20 or Mooney at 9 plus incentives?

This would be more of a JuJu type of signing. Guy that was not as productive as he was earlier in career but still good at football.

If anyone thinks Veach is paying 20 million for a WR, keep dreaming.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 03:30 PM 03-11-2024
Quite a few folks, apparently.

I'd rather just draft and develop rather than throw $$$ at less-than-JAG's.
I'll take Mooney over Sky Moore any day.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:31 PM 03-11-2024
Originally Posted by ModSocks:
I agree with OTWP15 that the Mooney excuse making is a bit much.

Typically with bad QB play, at the very least you get forced reads. Think Dwayne Bowe with Matt Cassel etc.

31 Rec on 61 targets is bad no matter how you slice it. This can't all be on Fields etc.
That’s why I think a guy like Hollywood Brown makes more sense. I don’t think Veach is gonna skimp on WR at all this year
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 03:32 PM 03-11-2024
Both options fucking suck.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 03:32 PM 03-11-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:
That’s why I think a guy like Hollywood Brown makes more sense. I don’t think Veach is gonna skimp on WR at all this year
If he signs Hollywood, great.

Seems kind of high for Veach though to spend that much on a WR.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:33 PM 03-11-2024
Espenesa staying in Buffalo. No idea why people wanted him tbh
[Reply]
mr. tegu 03:33 PM 03-11-2024
Quite a few folks, apparently.

I'd rather just draft and develop rather than throw $$$ at less-than-JAG's.

Agreed. Either make a huge splash with a trade or maybe trading up in the draft if there’s a WR dropping we are out of reach of but can step in producing quick. Or just stay put if that’s best and develop them over the course of the year while Kelce, Pacheco, Rice, and Watson hold things together.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:34 PM 03-11-2024
Re: Mooney

I don’t think he’s a good buy at the ridiculous Spotrac market valuation. I also don’t think that’s what it takes. I think you’re talking about $6-8M that is incentive laden, if it’s Mooney.

I don’t think it’s the only move or the best move or without risk. I do think it’s a logical fit, and if the team pursues him they’re seeing a guy who still has the physical tools but has had his production suppressed by a limited QB and bad offense.

I prefer Curtis Samuel and Marquise Brown as options. And again, I’m not expecting any of these guys to be a new top dog type. I’m expecting them to be reliable pros who fit into the offense and do their jobs effectively.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 03:34 PM 03-11-2024
Don’t some of these WR signings make the Mike Evans deal look that much better?
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 03:35 PM 03-11-2024
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
They did it before and didn't come up big.....until they get a better O-Line and their defense gets better all that will happen is Trevor will be handing off to Etienne who will have up and down games.

And when Etienne is hurt, then Trevor will struggle with finding an open receiver if Ridley leaves town....all that will be left is the TE.
Yea, I don't think its a good thing, usually ends in failure.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 03:35 PM 03-11-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Espenesa staying in Buffalo. No idea why people wanted him tbh
He's good.

Had a slow start to his career because for some reason Buffalo wanted him to lose a lot of weight and get weaker when he's a power DE.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:35 PM 03-11-2024
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Veach's comments since winning the Super Bowl have made it clear that he's very aware of the WR problems. He straight up said he was worried they might even miss the Playoffs, which is a shocking admission from the GM.

Really hoping they can find a Draft pick of similar quality to Rashee Rice. Can't afford more busts like Skyy Moore & Kadarius Toney. It would be nice to find an inexpensive veteran with reliable hands & route running as well.
2nd rounders are coin-flips.

For every Rice, you'll get a Moore. No matter how good a GM you are, you're really looking at 50/50 odds if you're looking at taking a WR in the 2nd round. And if you're taking one in the 1st from this class...well you're really looking at 2nd round caliber guys for the most part past Brian Johnson Jr, IMO. Some folks would put Franklin in that 1st round group, some Mitchell, others even Worthy.

But I think the fact that you see that kind of variance in opinion says plenty. It says at that point, NONE of them are true 'first round grade' caliber prospects.

Which is to say we better NOT be in a situation where 'we can't afford another Skyy Moore' because there's a pretty solid chance that's what we get. That's just the draft, fellas.

It's why you just gotta keep getting your shots up. Some will hit, others won't. Over a long enough timeline, we'll be fine.
[Reply]
Page 96 of 365
« First < 46869293949596 979899100106146196 > Last »
Up