ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 30 of 934
« First < 202627282930 313233344080130530 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
El Jefe 07:25 AM 09-22-2016
Anyone have any good recommendations on where to put money you are taking out of Savings? My local PNC is closing, so I am taking all my savings out, and I am going to take it somewhere. I should have done it a while ago, because the interest rate is a joke. I guess I kind of worried putting it somewhere else where I don't have quick access to it.
[Reply]
El Jefe 07:26 AM 09-22-2016
^I have a cash reserve at my house that is instantly available, so if it took a couple days to access my funds, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:19 AM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by El Jefe:
Anyone have any good recommendations on where to put money you are taking out of Savings? My local PNC is closing, so I am taking all my savings out, and I am going to take it somewhere. I should have done it a while ago, because the interest rate is a joke. I guess I kind of worried putting it somewhere else where I don't have quick access to it.
There are a number of "high interest" savings accounts out there online. They're still pretty crummy in terms of interest rates (generally 0.5%-1.0%), but it's better than what you'll get at a brick and mortar bank. I'm using Discover Savings right now (1.0%), and I've used Capital One 360 previously (0.75%). Both are really easy to start and use. Transfers between that and your checking account usually take 2-3 days or so.
[Reply]
Amnorix 09:06 AM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
There are a number of "high interest" savings accounts out there online. They're still pretty crummy in terms of interest rates (generally 0.5%-1.0%), but it's better than what you'll get at a brick and mortar bank. I'm using Discover Savings right now (1.0%), and I've used Capital One 360 previously (0.75%). Both are really easy to start and use. Transfers between that and your checking account usually take 2-3 days or so.

I don't know anything abuot Discover Savings. I've been with Capital One for many years now (probably 15 or so) for most of my "loose" cash, and it's been pretty great overall. Much better interest rates on a regular account than you can even get on CDs at most other banks.
[Reply]
scho63 09:12 AM 09-22-2016
1. Take it all out of the bank

2. Combine it with the other cash you have socked away

3. Put it all under your mattress

4. PM me your address and wait for me to stop by and explain the best way to invest it. :-)
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 09:48 AM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
I don't know anything abuot Discover Savings. I've been with Capital One for many years now (probably 15 or so) for most of my "loose" cash, and it's been pretty great overall. Much better interest rates on a regular account than you can even get on CDs at most other banks.
I've used Capital One previously, never used Discover. Ally Bank I think gives 1% on savings and they reimburse up to $12 in ATM fees/month.

[Reply]
scho63 12:58 PM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
When we bought the house 3 years ago, we only got approved for a 4.625% rate, I think because of my wife's lowish credit score of 720. I also didn't do any shopping around, so that probably didn't help. I checked into refinancing last month with rates being at record lows and they ran a credit report and with our credit now, 790 and 805, they said they could knock a full 1% off our interest rate. We plan to stay in this house long term, so it's just a play to pay less interest over the life of the loan. Our mortgage payment is very comfortable for us, so we will continue paying what we pay now, maybe even a little more, to pay off the house sooner and with the refinance, save on interest over the life of the loan.
I guess it would be good if you take the savings and pay the principal off each month. That would be the best of both worlds. Sounds like a good move depending on how much all the refinance fees were.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 05:05 PM 09-22-2016
I use Ally. It's been fine with 1% APY. Basically matching inflation give our recent rates. I've considered their CDs for my safety net. I think you only lose 2 months interest if you break them but it's been a while since I read up.

edit: it does take a couple days for transfers to another account. I know some ppl who used it for both check/sav then it's very quick.
[Reply]
markd2000 05:03 AM 09-23-2016
Synchrony Bank is a spin-off from GE and has a high yield saving account that is yielding 1.05%. There are no check book privileges, but you can link bank or investment accounts and move money in 2 to 3 days.
[Reply]
markd2000 05:19 AM 09-23-2016
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
I like simple. I'm sure there are cards that you can "work" to get better rewards out of them, but I don't have time/patience for that.

Therefore, Fidelity Visa. No annual fee and 2% cash back on everything I buy, which gets automatically deposited into whatever Fidelity account(s) I choose, which can include a kid's UFund (529 Plan) account.

EDIT: And, btw, I don't think using a credit card isn't money savvy. I think it is, SO LONG AS YOU PAY THE BALANCE IN FULL EVERY MONTH WITHOUT FAIL. Which you absolutely must do. If so, then they basically pay YOU interest for them giving you a loan. Yes please...
I have the Fidelity Visa card but not currently using it. Instead, I've been using Capital One Spark. Both offer 2% cash back on everything with no limits. Advantage Fidelity: no annual fee ($59 for Capital One Spark). Advantage Capital One Spark: no foreign transaction fees (1% for Fidelity). My best advise would be to get out of any airline miles cards you have. First, you can hardly find mileage flights that are available at the 25000 RT level and then you have to pay additional airport fees, etc. I'd rather have $500 cash to spend where I want than to accumulate 25000 miles that I can't use.
[Reply]
markd2000 05:29 AM 09-23-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Wanna know how many here use their Roth also as an emergency savings vehicle like this article suggests since contributions can be withdrawn tax/penalty free? I see this posted a lot lately and it makes sense for many I would think after you have a savings account emergency fund but still wanna have an option to stay relatively liquid without parking in a savings account and getting nothing. Any of you do this? What kind of funds do you use?

https://blog.mint.com/saving/does-us...d-idea-052012/
Quite honestly, Roth assets are the last place you should tap for funds. These are precious assets that will grow tax free for life. No tax on dividends, interest and market appreciation, depending on your investment of choice. It is hard to accumulate funds in Roth accounts unless you do an IRA conversion (which I did) and pay the ordinary income tax at the time of conversion. While that was painful, I now have a 30% gain that will never be taxed. For those thinking about estate planning, Roth assets can be given to your kids and they can take distributions over their lifetime. The other major benefit of Roth vs. Traditional IRA's is that there are no required minimum distributions at age 70.5. So they can continue to grow tax free for a very long time. Don't take assets out of your Roth if you can possible help it.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 09:39 AM 09-29-2016
Doing fairly well with options on OIH and USO the past couple days.
[Reply]
Steve Sewell 10:09 AM 09-29-2016
I mentioned it in another thread recently, but I'm a big fan of the "lazy portfolio" approach. I personally use this pretty much exactly:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio
This is what I do as well. See, Broncos fans are smart too.
[Reply]
scho63 10:18 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
Doing fairly well with options on OIH and USO the past couple days.
I play the options markets a LOT.

Do you buy:
-At the money?
-Far out of the money for leverage?
-Mostly calls?
-Mostly puts?
-Near term expiration?
-Long term expiration?
-Whatever you feel is a good value?
-Enhanced strategies like covered calls or naked puts or straddles?
-Equity options or index options?
-Mostly big caps?
-High price for big moves?
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 11:05 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by scho63:
I play the options markets a LOT.

Do you buy:
-At the money?
-Far out of the money for leverage?
-Mostly calls?
-Mostly puts?
-Near term expiration?
-Long term expiration?
-Whatever you feel is a good value?
-Enhanced strategies like covered calls or naked puts or straddles?
-Equity options or index options?
-Mostly big caps?
-High price for big moves?
I don't want to get to detailed. I will however reveal my moves the last few days. Calls for both OIH and USO. Put for SPY this morning.
[Reply]
Page 30 of 934
« First < 202627282930 313233344080130530 > Last »
Up