ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1579 of 3903
« First < 579107914791529156915751576157715781579 158015811582158315891629167920792579 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
shitgoose 10:25 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Yep. There was a woman on CNN last night that owns a salon in Georgia and she said she isn't going to open up and her clients don't want her to. I think you are going to find most businesses will be like that for awhile.

These business will also have to think about all the liability issues with re-opening.
So a salon that reopens could be liable for what exactly? Do gas stations or liquor stores that never closed carry the same liability?
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:28 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Or they could all get jobs tomorrow, and each person had to stab that 1 guy to death before leaving, and are now considered fugitives but now can't work.
Id nominate OaklandHater to be the one stabbed.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:33 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by shitgoose:
So a salon that reopens could be liable for what exactly?
A stylist that touches a client's hair, neck and face, along with washing said client's hair in a sink shared by dozens of other clients, could be liable if any of those clients contract COVID-19. That puts an enormous amount of pressure, not only on the stylist but on the owner as well, to make certain that all work stations have been sanitized properly, which is nearly impossible to verify.

Plus, there's absolutely no way to cut someone's hair while following strict Social Distancing guidelines, which opens up the stylist and owner to potential lawsuits.

Do gas stations or liquor stores that never closed carry the same liability?
Most gas stations do not require coming in contact with another human in order to purchase gas. Who the hell is purchasing gas now, anyway?

As for liquor stores, customers have other options in most cities such as deliveries, which minimize contact and if said liqour store doesn't have a barrier between their potential customers, one can easily be installed, limiting contact.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:37 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The idea of "opening up" is really a misnomer, anyway.

Children will not return to school until the Fall at the earliest. Disneyland, concert venues and stadiums will not suddenly return to normal or open up because there will be strict Social Distancing orders in place. Restaurants will have maybe half their normal capacity and people that are currently working from home will continue to work from home.

And unfortunately, those people that are on the lower end of the wage scale will be the first to go back to their jobs but they'll be working in high risk conditions, whether they realize it or not.

It's really a sad state of affairs.

Originally Posted by DaFace:
My guess is that it'll come down to what people mean by "opening up." If we mean "packed seats 10-12 hours per day," then no, that's not happening. I'd be surprised if stylists and barbers didn't allow a couple of people at a time with enough spacing, though. Hell, throw a chair or two outside (on nice days) and do it that way.

I agree with both of you. It is going to be tough to "open up" back to pre-Covid19 because business owners don't want to get sick or get their employees\clients sick. But low wage earners really won't have a choice because most if not all of them live paycheck to paycheck and that $1200 measly check isn't going to help much.
[Reply]
O.city 10:38 AM 04-22-2020
So what are these business owners supposed to do? File bankruptcy?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:38 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yup.
[Reply]
TLO 10:39 AM 04-22-2020
I agree with both of you. It is going to be tough to "open up" back to pre-Covid19 because business owners don't want to get sick or get their employees\clients sick. But low wage earners really won't have a choice because most if not all of them live paycheck to paycheck and that $1200 measly check isn't going to help much.
What about small business owners? They have the choice of opening or losing everything.
[Reply]
TLO 10:40 AM 04-22-2020
People start losing everything they've worked their whole lives building and then the substance abuse, domestic abuse, suicide talk comes in.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:40 AM 04-22-2020
So a salon that reopens could be liable for what exactly? Do gas stations or liquor stores that never closed carry the same liability?

They could be liable if their employees got infected or one of their clients. You already are seeing lawsuits coming out in regards to instances like this.

I saw the other day a nurse's union has sued several hospitals and I know alot more are coming.

There are OSHA regulations you have to follow for infectious diseases like wearing PPE.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:41 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
People start losing everything they've worked their whole lives building and then the substance abuse, domestic abuse, suicide talk comes in.
So?
[Reply]
TLO 10:42 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
So?
So.... that's bad.
[Reply]
shitgoose 10:42 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
A stylist that touches a client's hair, neck and face, along with washing said client's hair in a sink shared by dozens of other clients, could be liable if any of those clients contract COVID-19. That puts an enormous amount of pressure, not only on the stylist but on the owner as well, to make certain that all work stations have been sanitized properly, which is nearly impossible to verify.

Plus, there's absolutely no way to cut someone's hair while following strict Social Distancing guidelines, which opens up the stylist and owner to potential lawsuits.

Most gas stations do not require coming in contact with another human in order to purchase gas. Who the hell is purchasing gas now, anyway?

As for liquor stores, customers have other options in most cities such as deliveries, which minimize contact and if said liqour store doesn't have a barrier between their potential customers, one can easily be installed, limiting contact.
So in that scenario the Salon or any business could be liable for spreading any infectious disease or would it be limited to Covid-19 only?

If I go to the salon and get a haircut, contract the flu and die because I also have some underlying health condition, my family could sue the Salon?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:43 AM 04-22-2020
It's really sad that the lowest wage earners are those that are screaming the loudest to "open back up".

Married people earning $100K+ working from the comfort of their homes and single people earning $50k+ from the comfort of their apartments are not clamoring for things to "open back up" (although I know a few parents with younger children that would like to see the schools open but that's a different subject altogether).
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:43 AM 04-22-2020
So.... that's bad.
Compared to what?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:43 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Yup.
What about small business owners? They have the choice of opening or losing everything.
Exactly the problem. It's real easy for people who aren't in the position to tell someone else how they will run their business. It's true the big chain restaurants will be able to open at something like half capacity and get by. Small businesses on the other hand don't have that luxury.

So as with everything else in life it comes down to the risks you're willing to take. As a business owner are you willing to fully open up as much as you are allowed? As a customer are you willing to go to a place that opened up fully?

Obviously there is no one right answer but there is still a tendency to play down the economic impact this is and is going to continue having.
[Reply]
Page 1579 of 3903
« First < 579107914791529156915751576157715781579 158015811582158315891629167920792579 > Last »
Up