ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2455 of 3903
« First < 1455195523552405244524512452245324542455 245624572458245924652505255529553455 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 04:00 PM 06-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Based on?
The massive amounts of people who got C-19?

Unless, of course, there were hundreds of thousands of people globally who mysteriously avoided cold-related coronaviruses for the majority of their lives?
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:02 PM 06-28-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:

Unless, of course, there were hundreds of thousands of people globally who mysteriously avoided cold-related coronaviruses for the majority of their lives?

I tend to agree with you. Who hasn't had a viral infection of some kind so the millions of people that have been infected by Covid, how does this explain them getting infected?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:04 PM 06-28-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I tend to agree with you. Who hasn't had a viral infection of some kind so the millions of people that have been infected by Covid, how does this explain them getting infected?
Partial immunity due to antigen similarity. It's why flu vaccines are still helpful even if they don't completely prevent the illness.
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:10 PM 06-28-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Partial immunity due to antigen similarity. It's why flu vaccines are still helpful even if they don't completely prevent the illness.

I get that but everyone has had multiple colds so why wouldn't that slow down the infection rate if cross immunity existed?
[Reply]
TLO 04:16 PM 06-28-2020
You mean antibody?
No. There is a diagnostic antigen test done with this...

https://www.quidel.com/immunoassays/...fia-2-analyzer

....and many other devices. Apparently they're fast and cheap - but I'm curious about the 85% accuracy.
[Reply]
O.city 04:22 PM 06-28-2020

Well that’s gonna wane as you get older (thyroid function that is, which is where T cells are made)

There’s quite a few other explanations I suppose but again it would make sense why not every person on one of these cruise ships didn’t get it

And as Hamas said, would explain so many mild and asymptomatic cases
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:27 PM 06-28-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I get that but everyone has had multiple colds so why wouldn't that slow down the infection rate if cross immunity existed?
Because colds aren't caused just by coronaviruses. In fact, coronaviruses cause a decided minority of them. Adenoviruses and rhinoviruses are more common causes, and there are a litany of them.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:28 PM 06-28-2020
Well that’s gonna wane as you get older (thyroid function that is, which is where T cells are made)

There’s quite a few other explanations I suppose but again it would make sense why not every person on one of these cruise ships didn’t get it

And as Hamas said, would explain so many mild and asymptomatic cases
T-cells mature in the thymus.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:30 PM 06-28-2020
FWIW, the science is not anywhere close to settled on this. There is theoretical evidence to support O. City's hypothesis, but we don't know enough to either confirm ideas or dismiss them out of hand, as Discuss Thrower is doing.
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:31 PM 06-28-2020
Because colds aren't caused just by coronaviruses. In fact, coronaviruses cause a decided minority of them. Adenoviruses and rhinoviruses are more common causes, and there are a litany of them.
Ok that makes sense and I didn’t know that. Thanks
[Reply]
O.city 04:32 PM 06-28-2020
T-cells mature in the thymus.
Yep, I knew that. Dunno why I said thyroid
[Reply]
O.city 04:34 PM 06-28-2020
FWIW, the science is not anywhere close to settled on this. There is theoretical evidence to support O. City's hypothesis, but we don't know enough to either confirm ideas or dismiss them out of hand, as Discuss Thrower is doing.
It seems to make sense to me. Maybe not.

But it would explain why curves go down so quick once say, 20% serological positives are hit in some spots even with people out and about and not have flare ups .
[Reply]
petegz28 04:41 PM 06-28-2020

By massive amounts you mean < 1% of our population?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:42 PM 06-28-2020
It seems to make sense to me. Maybe not.

But it would explain why curves go down so quick once say, 20% serological positives are hit in some spots even with people out and about and not have flare ups .
Do we have places where this has happened, though? Mask wearing tends to track an increase in cases pretty closely, so it's hard to determine a causal link. Also, given the increased morbidity and mortality that correlate directly with age, one would assume that the younger patients that develop COVID would have more severe symptoms as they do with other respiratory viruses, especially since in this case they would have less of an opportunity for partial immunity from past infections due to them being younger. The opposite would follow for middle-aged patients, as they still retain good immune function but would have more exposure.

I think we're firmly planted in the brainstorming phase here.
[Reply]
O.city 04:51 PM 06-28-2020
Do we have places where this has happened, though? Mask wearing tends to track an increase in cases pretty closely, so it's hard to determine a causal link. Also, given the increased morbidity and mortality that correlate directly with age, one would assume that the younger patients that develop COVID would have more severe symptoms as they do with other respiratory viruses, especially since in this case they would have less of an opportunity for partial immunity from past infections due to them being younger. The opposite would follow for middle-aged patients, as they still retain good immune function but would have more exposure.

I think we're firmly planted in the brainstorming phase here.
Wouldn’t loss of T cell function woth age explain some of that?

Looking at Stockholm and how quick it’s come down the curve or atleast last I looked is weird to me seeing as they haven’t done much.

Definitely some overshoot with deaths and such if it gets into the elderly like in bergamo and New York
[Reply]
Page 2455 of 3903
« First < 1455195523552405244524512452245324542455 245624572458245924652505255529553455 > Last »
Up