ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 266 of 270
« First < 166216256262263264265266 267268269270 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***OFFICIAL 2019 Chiefs Training Camp Thread***
RealSNR 02:58 PM 07-23-2019
Tweets from https://twitter.com/RMSWeather/lists/chiefs

In the meantime, this gem from Andy Reid's press conference today:

Andy Reid was asked if he did anything fun or exotic this offseason: “I attacked a couple Chile rellenos.”

— Jeff Darlington (@JeffDarlington) July 23, 2019

[Reply]
O.city 09:58 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
You can be aggressive while at times taking what the defense gives you. It's not a one or the other situation. Sometimes that small dump off can give you a first down and let you keep the drive going or it can even get you more yards than the downfield pass because of the YAC available.

I don't think anyone is saying neuter Mahomes. But yes there were times where he tried to do too much and it ****ed us.
Fucked them to the tune of 12 wins, a historic offense and an overtime AFCC loss?

Sure, there are times if guys aren't open don't force it, I'm not saying that.

But I'm guessing he's always going to opt towards the aggressive shots. That's great, I'll take the negatives with it.
[Reply]
BossChief 09:59 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
For the same reason he didn't get drafted, even if you have decent skills being slow at that position is something most teams will pass on.
Running a 4.57 isn’t the end of the world.

Lots of really good corners time similarly and our top notch safeties should help elevate the deep speed need.

Ball skills are a premium in today’s NFL and Herb Miller gets his hands on a lot of passes.
[Reply]
-King- 10:01 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
The Rams game is the only game I can think of he made enough mistakes to lose the game. Every other loss was on the defense.
I never said he lost the game. But there were times where his decision making led to us having to punt instead of extending drives. Or he tried to run out of sacks and either ended up with an even bigger loss or (I cant remember which game) he fumbled on his own trying to scramble.

I don't want him to be less aggressive all the time. He is who he is and that's why we all love him. But situational football is also important and sometimes, checking the ball down or throwing the ball away are some things you have to do.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:03 AM 08-22-2019
I never said he lost the game. But there were times where his decision making led to us having to punt instead of extending drives. Or he tried to run out of sacks and either ended up with an even bigger loss or (I cant remember which game) he fumbled on his own trying to scramble.

I don't want him to be less aggressive all the time. He is who he is and that's why we all love him. But situational football is also important and sometimes, checking the ball down or throwing the ball away are some things you have to do.
Accurate post is accurate
[Reply]
O.city 10:03 AM 08-22-2019
There are definitely situational times where you've gotta just admit defeat so to speak. You aren't gonna win every play, live to fight another day.

In the first half of the Pats afcc game he took a bad sack taking them out of FG range. Can't do that.

But what i'm saying is, that sometimes the good is so good you have to take the bad with it and just hope to minimize it enough without taking anything away from the good.
[Reply]
-King- 10:04 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Fucked them to the tune of 12 wins, a historic offense and an overtime AFCC loss?

Sure, there are times if guys aren't open don't force it, I'm not saying that.

But I'm guessing he's always going to opt towards the aggressive shots. That's great, I'll take the negatives with it.
It's like there's no nuance in anything anymore. Using that logic there nothing he needs to fix or work on.
[Reply]
FAX 10:05 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Seth Keysor did an article on this whole subject this offseason and used statistical data to kill the theory its a bad thing for your offense to be able to score too quickly.

The biggest issue with out defense was getting off the field on 3rd down, that's not related to the offense scoring too fast.

Edit: Found it.

https://theathletic.com/794296/2019/...e-this-season/
Thank you from the bottom of my cold, dead heart, Mr. Marcellus.

I've heard those arguments (slow the game down, don't score too quickly, rest your defense) all off-season. Although I understand the basic idea, the legitimacy of the logic escapes me. Touchdowns in the NFL are super-duper-important and you don't prioritize six minutes over six points.

If you have a shot, you take it. Then, if you have another shot, you take that one too. Then you keep taking shots until you convince the opponent that they should have never suited up for the game ... or the 3rd quarter ... whichever comes first.

FAX
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:05 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Running a 4.57 isn’t the end of the world.

Lots of really good corners time similarly and our top notch safeties should help elevate the deep speed need.

Ball skills are a premium in today’s NFL and Herb Miller gets his hands on a lot of passes.
Miller had a whopping 2 interceptions and 14 passes defensed over a 4 year, 40 game college career.

At Florida Atlantic - so he wasn't exactly facing premier WRs or QBs to boot.

No, I'm pretty sure high-end ball skills aren't on his list of attributes. Given a large enough sample size, I feel like the guy will look awfully bad. While there may be a fair number of 4.6 CBs who were historically successful, there aren't many today. These high flying offenses and brilliant OCs are gonna pick that guy apart and/or we'll have to shift coverages to help him out.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:06 AM 08-22-2019

We didn't score on every drive? Damn it man!
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:09 AM 08-22-2019
It's like there's no nuance in anything anymore. Using that logic there nothing he needs to fix or work on.
Its no more non nuanced than basically complaining we don't score every drive which is what this argument boils down to.

No shit he made some mistakes, he will make mistakes this year too, just like every other QB who has ever played the game.

His aggressiveness is what makes him great though. I don't want that fucked with.
[Reply]
O.city 10:09 AM 08-22-2019
Sorry.

Didn't mean it that way. He definitely could work on some things (staying in the pocket etc) but I just hate the narrative of "control the clock and keep the d fresh or take what the defense gives you".

That's for an Alex Smith offense.

To use them again, the Warriors don't take what the defense gives them. They make it so hard for the defense to cover what they want to do they get what they want.

That's Mahomes.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 10:10 AM 08-22-2019

I said the same thing last year. When you have a large lead you don't take 50 yard shots. They are low percentage throws. The SF and the road game at the Faid should not have been close but they were with long incompletions
[Reply]
O.city 10:13 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Miller had a whopping 2 interceptions and 14 passes defensed over a 4 year, 40 game college career.

At Florida Atlantic - so he wasn't exactly facing premier WRs or QBs to boot.

No, I'm pretty sure high-end ball skills aren't on his list of attributes. Given a large enough sample size, I feel like the guy will look awfully bad. While there may be a fair number of 4.6 CBs who were historically successful, there aren't many today. These high flying offenses and brilliant OCs are gonna pick that guy apart and/or we'll have to shift coverages to help him out.
Anytime you're gonna be that much of an outlier with one skillset (speed) you've gotta be that much more of an outlier in a positive way in another.

Like Chad Pennington couldn't throw it faster than 30 mph. But he had great accuracy and anticipation which allowed him to function.

Those guys that were really slow for a corner had great anticipation and ball skills.

Herb Miller likely doesn't.
[Reply]
O.city 10:15 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
I said the same thing last year. When you have a large lead you don't take 50 yard shots. They are low percentage throws. The SF and the road game at the Faid should not have been close but they were with long incompletions
When you score 35 points in the first half and the game becomes close in the 2nd half, sorry, but your defense sucks asshole.

Sorry but here again we have a perfect spot for the Steph Curry analogy. 3 point shots are low percentage shots for most people. They aren't for him.

Those throws are low percentage for most people. They aren't for Mahomes and this offense.

Re adjust your thinking with this offense.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:18 AM 08-22-2019
Mahomes actually missed on quite a few deep throws he should have had, not saying he shouldn't take them but they weren't automatic.
[Reply]
Page 266 of 270
« First < 166216256262263264265266 267268269270 >
Up