ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>At what point did you realize that Mahomes was other-worldly?
Fat Elvis 11:34 PM 09-21-2018
For me, it was last year in a preseason game vs the Bungles. Mahomes gets flushed out of the pocket, rolls to his right, and throws a freakin' *curveball* to his receiver between three defenders.

Prior to that play, it never occurred to me that throwing a curveball with a football (let alone throwing a curveball with a baseball) on the run was even within the realm of possibility.

Mahomes making the unblocked defender miss on a naked boot and threading the needle. pic.twitter.com/26xbo3qpGH

— Ted Nguyen (@FB_FilmAnalysis) August 20, 2017

[Reply]
suzzer99 01:49 PM 09-22-2018
For me it was the big 3rd down throw to Hill vs. SD. I knew he had a big arm - but that showed me he'd come through in the highest leverage spots - whereas Smiff usually let us down.

Then the TD to Sherman at the end of that drive sent tears down my cheeks. It was cathartic - like letting out decades of "can't put them away" PTSD in one drive. Maybe we actually can have nice things.

(not to belittle read PTSD of course)
[Reply]
Rasputin 01:54 PM 09-22-2018
@:52 mark Patrick rolls LEFT sets and chucks it from the fiffy for a touchdown in the endzone. This kid is unstoppable.

How often do quarterbacks roll left and score TDs?

[Reply]
Halfcan 01:56 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
:-)

I agree with your assessment. But the big thing for me is(and you can't teach this, either you have it or you don't) GAMERSHIP with excellent leadership !!

He is a pure GAMER !!! His insatiable appetite of the soul to win and will do everything he can to do so and will except nothing less.
This!

Some have already mentioned it but, I think it is his pitching background that lets him be accurate with the football without having his feet set. Mahomes is able to contort his body for maximum velocity and yet his arm stays on an even keel somehow to make accurate throws. Like a pitcher whose back foot is tailing up off the ground to put that extra whip on the ball.

I have watched his throws over and over and still haven't quite figured out how he does it. :-) If any QB coaches out there want to explain it- I would love to hear it.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:59 PM 09-22-2018
I suspect as he ages he'll lose some of that accuracy from any position and need to learn better footwork. Like a pitcher who loses the top velo on their fastball and has to become a "real pitcher" to extend their career.

Cutlahh did a lot of that back foot shit but was never quite as accurate and eventually it got him in a lot of trouble. Jeff George of course is the poster child for killer arm from all angles but empty braincase - which Mahomey is the opposite in terms of smarts.

And there's our boy Bray. He must be just dumb as a box of rocks. Probably who Andy had in mind when he said "I think he's pretty smart" after grilling Mahones at the combine. IE - it's Bray with a brain.

I remember when Marino finally lost his fastball he was done. He couldn't adjust like Manning did. Did Elway ever lose it? I don't think so. Favre had to get crafty and still made some terrible plays in playoff games late in his career.

But anyway for now let's enjoy the ride!
[Reply]
Halfcan 02:03 PM 09-22-2018
[QUOTE=KC Tattoo;13751930]@:52 mark Patrick rolls LEFT sets and chucks it from the fiffy for a touchdown in the endzone. This kid is unstoppable.

How often do quarterbacks roll left and score TDs?

Yes, rolling left, barely squares up his body for the throw, feet are not square, back foot not set, a guy in his face and it does not look like his receiver is open.

But he sees something and manages to throw accurately somehow??

It defies physics!
[Reply]
FAX 02:07 PM 09-22-2018
When he's scrambling, looking downfield, and making those off-platform throws with accuracy and velocity, it reminds me of a shortstop throwing the runner out at first.

The entirety of the motion and attitude are very similar to me.

FAX
[Reply]
milkman 02:49 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
:-)

I agree with your assessment. But the big thing for me is(and you can't teach this, either you have it or you don't) GAMERSHIP with excellent leadership !!

He is a pure GAMER !!! His insatiable appetite of the soul to win and will do everything he can to do so and will except nothing less.
I take acception to this post.

Idiot.
[Reply]
DRM08 02:53 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I suspect as he ages he'll lose some of that accuracy from any position and need to learn better footwork. Like a pitcher who loses the top velo on their fastball and has to become a "real pitcher" to extend their career.

Cutlahh did a lot of that back foot shit but was never quite as accurate and eventually it got him in a lot of trouble. Jeff George of course is the poster child for killer arm from all angles but empty braincase - which Mahomey is the opposite in terms of smarts.

And there's our boy Bray. He must be just dumb as a box of rocks. Probably who Andy had in mind when he said "I think he's pretty smart" after grilling Mahones at the combine. IE - it's Bray with a brain.

I remember when Marino finally lost his fastball he was done. He couldn't adjust like Manning did. Did Elway ever lose it? I don't think so. Favre had to get crafty and still made some terrible plays in playoff games late in his career.

But anyway for now let's enjoy the ride!
Didn't Marino score less than 20 on the Wonderlic? I think Pat is smarter than him. Likewise with Favre. If you have a cannon arm, you should still have similar velocity to say Drew Brees even after you lose a little bit of that velocity. Intelligence should come into play at some point for these guys.
[Reply]
eDave 02:53 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by milkman:
I take acception to this post.

Idiot.
Why in tar-nations would you take exception to this? His early leadership and enthusiasm with his team mates is palpable.

You either got that, or you don't. Did you see that from Smith? No.
[Reply]
milkman 03:00 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by eDave:
Why in tar-nations would you take exception to this? His early leadership and enthusiasm with his team mates is palpable.

You either got that, or you don't. Did you see that from Smith? No.
Oh Jesus.

I was talking about his use of the word "except", when the word should have been "accept".

Even used a play on words to highlight the mistake.
[Reply]
FAX 03:09 PM 09-22-2018
I think Mr. ChiefShrink missed a couple of pre-med classes.

FAX
[Reply]
suzzer99 03:14 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Didn't Marino score less than 20 on the Wonderlic? I think Pat is smarter than him. Likewise with Favre. If you have a cannon arm, you should still have similar velocity to say Drew Brees even after you lose a little bit of that velocity. Intelligence should come into play at some point for these guys.
Yeah that's what I was getting at w/o dissing Marino too hard. :-)
[Reply]
FAX 03:29 PM 09-22-2018
LOL ... Forget the Wonderlic.

Marino scored 10 on the rock lick.

And he felt good about it.

FAX
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:32 PM 09-22-2018
I dont always agree with him, but Shrink is a well meaning guy who never responds to the constant insults in kind... people are usually dickheads to him for no good reason IMO
[Reply]
eDave 03:34 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by milkman:
Oh Jesus.

I was talking about his use of the word "except", when the word should have been "accept".

Even used a play on words to highlight the mistake.
LOL Right on.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Up