ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 21
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Has our defense been HARSHLY judged?
UChieffyBugger 04:35 PM 09-21-2018
It seems to be in fashion to knock the Chiefs defense. WE as fans slaughter them daily, the local press slaughter then daily, the NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL media slaughter them daily, and when I sit and think about the circumstances sounding that group, one could argue that they are getting judged a little harshly.

Now let's start with the preseason. Ragland and Hitchens played ONE warm-up together against the Bears and both missed several practice sessions. Nelson got knocked out of the Atlanta game and missed sessions himself, whilst Parker wasn't even In our building during the preseason. Then we have Ford who Is just returning to the team after being out for most of last season, and Houston barely played In the warm-up games himself.

Last year there was a perception that we had "the worst defense known to man", but I argued it was an overblown notion because the reality was that we were around fifteenth In the points allowed tally. But that notion has stuck with the team and now this unit that has barely played together Is thrown together and Is trying to both gel as a unit and get their football legs going all whilst facing TWO quality offenses on the road. The Pats defense started off badly too last year and then managed to be a decent unit until the superbowl where they contrived to drop their best corner, so there is a clear example of how things can change quickly In this game.
[Reply]
Danguardace 01:10 AM 09-23-2018
I've given them a pass these last 2 weeks, if they get shredded by an average looking offense at home then I'm done.
[Reply]
Bump 01:19 AM 09-23-2018
Maybe, we did get cheated out of a defensive TD last game and that changed the entire game. Defense was looking ok before the refs tried to cheat us. There was also many many blatant holds and I don't think even one got called.
[Reply]
TEX 06:29 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Why would we assume that with Sutton we’ll always be at the bottom? Is it the 5th-ranked scoring defense? Or maybe the 2nd and 3rd-ranked scoring defenses? Last year was his worst defense here and it was FIFTEENTH. That’s not anywhere near “the bottom”. It’s in the top half of the league.
That was then. This is now. The trend is the other way. This defense is worse than last years and last year was wore than the previous one. If it keeps up, it will be the norm.
[Reply]
MotherfuckerJones 06:46 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
It seems to be in fashion to knock the Chiefs defense. WE as fans slaughter them daily, the local press slaughter then daily, the NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL media slaughter them daily, and when I sit and think about the circumstances sounding that group, one could argue that they are getting judged a little harshly.

Now let's start with the preseason. Ragland and Hitchens played ONE warm-up together against the Bears and both missed several practice sessions. Nelson got knocked out of the Atlanta game and missed sessions himself, whilst Parker wasn't even In our building during the preseason. Then we have Ford who Is just returning to the team after being out for most of last season, and Houston barely played In the warm-up games himself.

Last year there was a perception that we had "the worst defense known to man", but I argued it was an overblown notion because the reality was that we were around fifteenth In the points allowed tally. But that notion has stuck with the team and now this unit that has barely played together Is thrown together and Is trying to both gel as a unit and get their football legs going all whilst facing TWO quality offenses on the road. The Pats defense started off badly too last year and then managed to be a decent unit until the superbowl where they contrived to drop their best corner, so there is a clear example of how things can change quickly In this game.

Yes, they've been fairly criticized. They've been giving up yards and big explosive plays. They've played well for small stretches like in early games which is good to give the ball to the offense and let them take the lead. However, they haven't been good when the offense gives them a lead as they give it right back. Part of this, in my opinion, is the defense needs time to acclimate the new players and the other part is Eric Berry out of the lineup still. He's the playmaker this secondary is starving for. Today is a good chance for them to show some improvement.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 07:42 AM 09-23-2018
Bob Sutton is one of the finest defensive coordinators in the league
[Reply]
King_Chief_Fan 09:08 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar:
Bob Sutton is one of the finest defensive coordinators in the league
Rigggghhhht
[Reply]
TEX 09:32 AM 09-23-2018
We'll see today how they do against the run. I know SF is a good running team and they'll certainly try and establish it to keep Mahomes & Co off the field. Hope KC can stop it, and put SF in obvious passing situations, as that will help our terrible pass defense because it's easier to defend if you know what's coming. At least in theory it is...

They made an effort to try and improve the front 7 this offseason. Today they'll get their chance to show it.

Hope after today's game we're not all hating Sutton for even more reasons.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 10:04 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by Mother****erJones:
Yes, they've been fairly criticized. They've been giving up yards and big explosive plays. They've played well for small stretches like in early games which is good to give the ball to the offense and let them take the lead. However, they haven't been good when the offense gives them a lead as they give it right back. Part of this, in my opinion, is the defense needs time to acclimate the new players and the other part is Eric Berry out of the lineup still. He's the playmaker this secondary is starving for. Today is a good chance for them to show some improvement.
Have they been giving leads back?

Has KC trailed at any point this season?

KC was winning 31-12 entering the 4th quarter against LA and The Steelers were tied all of 5 minutes.

KC lost the turnover battle 2-0 to Pittsburgh and won. Yeah, a safety is a turnover. IF KC doesn't have those two 2nd half turnovers, that game gets ugly really fast in the 2nd half.

I think the stats will reflect it soon. They're not good, but they're not as bad as people think. They look to be what they have been for the past 3 years. Pretty bad, but not career day defense bad.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 10:10 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by TEX:
That was then. This is now. The trend is the other way. This defense is worse than last years and last year was wore than the previous one. If it keeps up, it will be the norm.
Yeah well, THIS season I don't think KC will be losing games by the scores of 13-19 or 9-12 or 16-10.

Teams will have to score more, and they know that going in.
[Reply]
loochy 01:24 PM 09-23-2018
Dude, they're bad.
[Reply]
Pablo 01:26 PM 09-23-2018
Not harshly enough.
[Reply]
loochy 01:26 PM 09-23-2018
BTW this thread is fucking dumb
[Reply]
MAG 01:29 PM 09-23-2018
No. It's awful and Bob Sutton is a POS.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:34 PM 09-23-2018
Lot of stupid mother fuckers in this thread.
[Reply]
carcosa 01:49 PM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by carcosa:
Yeah. They're not good or even decent, but they're not historically awful either.
Nvm they're fucking awful
[Reply]
Page 9 of 21
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up