ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 21
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Has our defense been HARSHLY judged?
UChieffyBugger 04:35 PM 09-21-2018
It seems to be in fashion to knock the Chiefs defense. WE as fans slaughter them daily, the local press slaughter then daily, the NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL media slaughter them daily, and when I sit and think about the circumstances sounding that group, one could argue that they are getting judged a little harshly.

Now let's start with the preseason. Ragland and Hitchens played ONE warm-up together against the Bears and both missed several practice sessions. Nelson got knocked out of the Atlanta game and missed sessions himself, whilst Parker wasn't even In our building during the preseason. Then we have Ford who Is just returning to the team after being out for most of last season, and Houston barely played In the warm-up games himself.

Last year there was a perception that we had "the worst defense known to man", but I argued it was an overblown notion because the reality was that we were around fifteenth In the points allowed tally. But that notion has stuck with the team and now this unit that has barely played together Is thrown together and Is trying to both gel as a unit and get their football legs going all whilst facing TWO quality offenses on the road. The Pats defense started off badly too last year and then managed to be a decent unit until the superbowl where they contrived to drop their best corner, so there is a clear example of how things can change quickly In this game.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 12:38 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by DRM08:
His college experience has definitely prepared him for the "shootout" mindset required to win games
BOOM !!!!!

Sometimes you have to pull out the .50cal and it is awesome when you can.

We diehard Chief fans have "never" had a .50cal at the QB position before.:-)
[Reply]
Titty Meat 12:40 PM 09-22-2018
First team ever to give up 1000 yards in their first 2 games and be 2-0. No the defense is absolute shit.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 12:43 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
First team ever to give up 1000 yards in their first 2 games and be 2-0. No the defense is absolute shit.
I agree. It's crap and there's no hiding it. We can't stop anyone good from scoring
[Reply]
FAX 12:52 PM 09-22-2018
I think Mr. milkman had it absolutely right ... the notion that "defenses win championships" is a notion that's dead in its tracks. It's a carcass of a notion standing motionless right there in the red zone like a signpost to nowhere.

The league has changed the rules of emphasis to such a degree that defense is no longer a primary characteristic associated with success. Turnovers are still key, but the days of smash-mouth defense is over. That's why I have no fear of the Jags or the Donks.

As for us, we don't need no stinkin' defense (as a D-homer, I hate to say that. But it's pretty true).

FAX
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 12:54 PM 09-22-2018
If they can hold jimmy Grapes to 17 or less, I will ease up on them.

Until then, fuck them
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 12:56 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
We don't have NEAR the defensive talent of the Purple People Eaters, the Fearsome Foursome, the 85 Bears, the 1990 Eagles or the 93 Houston Oilers.

Shit, we don't even have the defensive talent of the 1994 Cardinals, or the 2009 Jets.
I not sure if we have the 2003 chiefs talent
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 12:56 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:
The league has changed the rules of emphasis to such a degree that defense is no longer a primary characteristic associated with success. Turnovers are still key, but the days of smash-mouth defense is over. That's why I have no fear of the Jags or the Donks.
FAX

:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
FAX 01:00 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
If they can hold jimmy Grapes to 17 or less, I will ease up on them.

Until then, **** them
IIRC, I think I had the Chiefs at 45 and the Gays 6. Maybe 9.

I have a very powerful, visceral sense that the Gays get field goals and field goals only. Oh ... and we get a couple of picks. I sense that, too. I saw all this in a vision while I was staring contemplatively at a lava lamp a few nights ago. There was this one, big, blue bubble that rose to the top and spoke to me in a human voice saying, "FAX, damn it. Lay off the whiskey and get some sleep. But before you do that, here's the future ..."

FAX
[Reply]
Red Dawg 01:05 PM 09-22-2018
I think Mr. milkman had it absolutely right ... the notion that "defenses win championships" is a notion that's dead in its tracks. It's a carcass of a notion standing motionless right there in the red zone like a signpost to nowhere.

As for us, we don't need no stinkin' defense (as a D-homer, I hate to say that. But it's pretty true).

FAX
Less defense doesn't mean none. Ask the Patriots if they needed some defense against Philly. We have alsmost zero.
[Reply]
DRM08 01:07 PM 09-22-2018

FAX
You still need a defense. Mahomes played a nearly perfect game against the Steelers with 155 passer rating, 97 QBR, 6 TD, 0 INT, and only 5 incompletions. Chiefs won the game by only 5 points.

Jared Goff threw 1 TD and 1 INT against the Cardinals but the Rams won by 34 points because they have a defense. Helps that the Cardinals QB situation is a dumpster fire compared to the Steelers.
[Reply]
FAX 01:08 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Less defense doesn't mean none. Ask the Patriots if they needed some defense against Philly. We have alsmost zero.
Well ... actually, I think you could use that very game to prove Mr. milkman's point.

FAX
[Reply]
FAX 01:12 PM 09-22-2018
You still need a defense. Mahomes played a nearly perfect game against the Steelers with 155 passer rating, 97 QBR, 6 TD, 0 INT, and only 5 incompletions. Chiefs won the game by only 5 points.

Jared Goff threw 1 TD and 1 INT against the Cardinals but the Rams won by 34 points because they have a defense. Helps that the Cardinals QB situation is a dumpster fire compared to the Steelers.
Allow me to do you the honah, sah, of remindin' you that we competed against the Stoolers, but we also competed against the officials in that contest.

That game shouldn't have been nearly that close score-wise. The defense played a whole lot better than the box score indicates. Stats are liars.

FAX
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:14 PM 09-22-2018
Allow me to do you the honah, sah, of remindin' you that we competed against the Stoolers, but we also competed against the officials in that contest.

That game shouldn't have been nearly that close score-wise. The defense played a whole lot better than the box score indicates. Stats are liars.

FAX
This is VERY,VERY true!
[Reply]
DRM08 01:14 PM 09-22-2018

FAX
Refs helped the Steelers for sure. I grant you that one. I am hoping Berry will come back for the Jaguars game. I think the Chiefs will need to play better defense against teams like the Jags and Rams. Mahomes is probably not gonna drop 40 on those guys.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 01:16 PM 09-22-2018
Helps that the Cardinals QB situation is a dumpster fire compared to the Steelers.
How many of those who do not have "football eyes" who play fantasy took DJ in the first rd because they could not see this coming ? Millions !!! :-)

Same thing happened when millions took LF in the first the year after Warner retired.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 21
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up