ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 21
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Has our defense been HARSHLY judged?
UChieffyBugger 04:35 PM 09-21-2018
It seems to be in fashion to knock the Chiefs defense. WE as fans slaughter them daily, the local press slaughter then daily, the NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL media slaughter them daily, and when I sit and think about the circumstances sounding that group, one could argue that they are getting judged a little harshly.

Now let's start with the preseason. Ragland and Hitchens played ONE warm-up together against the Bears and both missed several practice sessions. Nelson got knocked out of the Atlanta game and missed sessions himself, whilst Parker wasn't even In our building during the preseason. Then we have Ford who Is just returning to the team after being out for most of last season, and Houston barely played In the warm-up games himself.

Last year there was a perception that we had "the worst defense known to man", but I argued it was an overblown notion because the reality was that we were around fifteenth In the points allowed tally. But that notion has stuck with the team and now this unit that has barely played together Is thrown together and Is trying to both gel as a unit and get their football legs going all whilst facing TWO quality offenses on the road. The Pats defense started off badly too last year and then managed to be a decent unit until the superbowl where they contrived to drop their best corner, so there is a clear example of how things can change quickly In this game.
[Reply]
beach tribe 11:56 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Who is going to convince Sutton to stay aggressive? The head coach that has done the same thing with the offense for the last 5 years?

If the coaching is going to change, it has to start at the top. The reason the offense looks better under these conditions is because Patrick Mahomes doesn't check down and run into sacks like Alex Smith does. On the other hand, the defensive personnel has gotten worse for the 3rd year in a row.
Wait are you advocating firing Reid?

Lol. Dude just unleashed an offensive juggernaut with the hottest QB in the league and the play calling has been phenomenal.

No Suttons ass should have already been gone.

Reid will be around for another decade.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 11:56 PM 09-21-2018
It's not good with the problems in the secondary, but it's not as bad as the stats make it look right now.

Things will level out. Typical KC team. They'll start choking down the points but keep giving up gobs of yards.

Just not enough talent in the secondary in particular.
[Reply]
FAX 11:58 PM 09-21-2018
I'd start with tightening up the secondary first.

After that, I'd tighten up the secondary some more.

FAX
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 11:59 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by beach tribe:
Like I said im HOPING.
Definitely not counting on it.

I could easily see another huge lead blown in the POs.

IF we lose in the POs i almost hope that is how it happens so they will be forced to can his ass and we dont have to run the risk of it happening when we finally reach the SB.

That would be the Chiefest thing to happen and it wouldnt catch anyone by surprise.

Maybe we could top Atlanta for biggest choke job ever.
Like it or not KC doubled down on offense.

They got WORSE in the secondary, but I really don't think the front 7 is bad.

It's hard to really judge a defense when your team keeps jumping out to 14 or 21 point leads in the 1st quarter. They go balls out passing, abandon the run, and it's a track meet. Against KC's secondary, that's not going to be awesome.

Mahomes will outduel them though.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 12:03 AM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:
I'd start with tightening up the secondary first.

After that, I'd tighten up the secondary some more.

FAX
This is the truth FAX the redundant.

I'm pretty sure they just need better players though.
[Reply]
FAX 12:11 AM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
This is the truth FAX the redundant.

I'm pretty sure they just need better players though.
Eh ... that's for other teams.

We just tighten a few things up.

FAX
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:44 AM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by jettio:
No joke. I thought Sutton was from Buddy Ryan, Rex Ryan 46 philosophy.
We don't have NEAR the defensive talent of the Purple People Eaters, the Fearsome Foursome, the 85 Bears, the 1990 Eagles or the 93 Houston Oilers.

Shit, we don't even have the defensive talent of the 1994 Cardinals, or the 2009 Jets.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:45 AM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:
Eh ... that's for other teams.

We just tighten a few things up.

FAX
:-)
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 10:12 AM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
We don't have NEAR the defensive talent of the Purple People Eaters, the Fearsome Foursome, the 85 Bears, the 1990 Eagles or the 93 Houston Oilers.

Shit, we don't even have the defensive talent of the 1994 Cardinals, or the 2009 Jets.
Most innovative thing Rex did was a lot of 3-3-5 with various shifts and alignments.

The days of the 46 are long gone man. This ain't the 80's.
[Reply]
BlackOp 12:11 PM 09-22-2018
Well the plus side is Mahomes played at TT and they had the worst ranked defense through his entire college career.

He should feel right at home...

His entire reality as a QB has been he has to score every drive...it's all he knows.
[Reply]
DRM08 12:21 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Well the plus side is Mahomes played at TT and they had the worst ranked defense through his entire college career.

He should feel right at home...

His entire reality as a QB has been he has to score every drive...it's all he knows.
His college experience has definitely prepared him for the "shootout" mindset required to win games with this Chiefs defense. It still is a bummer to see him stuck in that situation though. I hope Veach and Reid can figure out the defense in the near future.
[Reply]
BlackOp 12:25 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by DRM08:
His college experience has definitely prepared him for the "shootout" mindset required to win games with this Chiefs defense. It still is a bummer to see him stuck in that situation though. I hope Veach and Reid can figure out the defense in the near future.
You can tell he's used to playing from behind...the second half of the Steelers game was telling. He looked completely unfazed that they had just come back.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 12:26 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
How much better will the defense be when we get Berry and Sorenson back?
Hopefully to create just a few more stops so that we win the "shootout" against any other formidable offense we face.:-)
[Reply]
TEX 12:30 PM 09-22-2018
No. The Red Carpet _efense is terrible. Nobody has harshly judged anything. :-)
[Reply]
RunKC 12:31 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
How much better will the defense be when we get Berry and Sorenson back?
Much better considering Eric Murray is the worst starting safety in football.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 21
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up