ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 21
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Has our defense been HARSHLY judged?
UChieffyBugger 04:35 PM 09-21-2018
It seems to be in fashion to knock the Chiefs defense. WE as fans slaughter them daily, the local press slaughter then daily, the NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL media slaughter them daily, and when I sit and think about the circumstances sounding that group, one could argue that they are getting judged a little harshly.

Now let's start with the preseason. Ragland and Hitchens played ONE warm-up together against the Bears and both missed several practice sessions. Nelson got knocked out of the Atlanta game and missed sessions himself, whilst Parker wasn't even In our building during the preseason. Then we have Ford who Is just returning to the team after being out for most of last season, and Houston barely played In the warm-up games himself.

Last year there was a perception that we had "the worst defense known to man", but I argued it was an overblown notion because the reality was that we were around fifteenth In the points allowed tally. But that notion has stuck with the team and now this unit that has barely played together Is thrown together and Is trying to both gel as a unit and get their football legs going all whilst facing TWO quality offenses on the road. The Pats defense started off badly too last year and then managed to be a decent unit until the superbowl where they contrived to drop their best corner, so there is a clear example of how things can change quickly In this game.
[Reply]
FAX 08:41 PM 09-21-2018
We just have a few things to tighten up.

FAX
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:44 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Considering the pace that the offense is scoring at we give the other team a million possessions and a lot of time.
This is a good point.

The Chiefs offense can score so quick and efficient, it could be argued it doesn’t give your defense time to rest.

We definitely are not going to win many Time of possession battles.

I just checked the past two weeks.

The Bolts won the ToP battle by 10 minutes and the Steelers won ToP by about 5 minutes
[Reply]
jjchieffan 08:48 PM 09-21-2018
I believe that the defense will get better as the year goes on. Getting Berry back will help, Sorenson returning midseason will also help. Hopefully by then Watts, Smith, Lucas, Jordan, Speaks, DOD, Nnadi, and Neimann will be contributing more and we will see improvement overall. Plus, it helps that we won't be playing top NFL offenses every week. The 49ers aren't that good offensively and the Donks offense is among the league worst. So I don't see them giving up 30+ points per game the next 2 weeks.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:16 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
I don't argue this defense needs talent. Sutton got screwed losing Peters.

I will argue a good coach would not be last in multiple statistics when there are 32 teams in the league.

I do hope I'm wrong. Please let me be wrong.
Gunther fielded the worst defense in the league TWICE with the Chiefs and once with the Lions. THREE TIMES. He's widely regarded by Chiefs fans as a defensive genius.

And by the way, those were 16-game seasons. We've played 2 games. If this defense is this bad after 16 games, I'll concede.

It won't be. Sutton's worst defense EVER finished 19th in points allowed.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:22 PM 09-21-2018
I think how bad they are is being overblown. Let’s look at the games so far after three quarters. Start of the fourth against the Chargers the score is 31-12. So yes, the game is over. In that quarter they scored 16 points and Rivers passed for 162 yards.

With 14 minutes left in the fourth against the Steelers the score is 42-28. Not unquestionably over but basically that’s game over as Chiefs could have scored again if needed. In the fourth quarter they scored 9 points and passed for 81 yards.

A lot has been made about the yards given up and the points given up. However, much of that has been done when the games have essentially been over. I would prefer they not just concede yards with so little effort from the other team but realistically a lot of what they have given up hasn’t mattered because we have won each game by the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Of the total passing yards given up, 28% have been in the fourth quarter. Of the total points given up, 38% have come in the fourth quarter. By comparison, only 18% of our points scored have come in the fourth quarter. Those two points numbers just show how much we have dominated the first three quarters and won the games by then. So clearly a big chunk of the yards and points conceded have come when the game was essentially over. This should be better clearly, but it’s not nearly as bad as simply looking at the yards and points allowed would suggest.
[Reply]
beach tribe 09:29 PM 09-21-2018
I went into this season expecting the D to be pretty bad...but as ive gone back and watched individual performances, i have come to the conclusion that there is more talent than i thought and I believe Berry will make a huge impact.

Especially if Sutton wlll be comfortable enough to get more aggressive.

The argument that they get burned when bringing heat is just ridiculous.
They get burned anyway. But being aggressive forces mistakes and turnovers.
Rushing 3 guys and putting more of our shitty secondary on the field while handcuffing our pass rushers is infuriating and has not even come close to being effective.

This D has enough potential to help us win with how often no they will be playing with the lead..
[Reply]
beach tribe 09:39 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I think how bad they are is being overblown. Let’s look at the games so far after three quarters. Start of the fourth against the Chargers the score is 31-12. So yes, the game is over. In that quarter they scored 16 points and Rivers passed for 162 yards.

With 14 minutes left in the fourth against the Steelers the score is 42-28. Not unquestionably over but basically that’s game over as Chiefs could have scored again if needed. In the fourth quarter they scored 9 points and passed for 81 yards.

A lot has been made about the yards given up and the points given up. However, much of that has been done when the games have essentially been over. I would prefer they not just concede yards with so little effort from the other team but realistically a lot of what they have given up hasn’t mattered because we have won each game by the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Of the total passing yards given up, 28% have been in the fourth quarter. Of the total points given up, 38% have come in the fourth quarter. By comparison, only 18% of our points scored have come in the fourth quarter. Those two points numbers just show how much we have dominated the first three quarters and won the games by then. So clearly a big chunk of the yards and points conceded have come when the game was essentially over. This should be better clearly, but it’s not nearly as bad as simply looking at the yards and points allowed would suggest.
And this D scheme is exactly how they have blown huge leads over and over..

If someone doesn't convince Sutton to stay aggressive....its going to happen again..
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 09:40 PM 09-21-2018
How much better will the defense be when we get Berry and Sorenson back?
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:50 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by beach tribe:
And this D scheme is exactly how they have blown huge leads over and over..

If someone doesn't convince Sutton to stay aggressive....its going to happen again..
Who is going to convince Sutton to stay aggressive? The head coach that has done the same thing with the offense for the last 5 years?

If the coaching is going to change, it has to start at the top. The reason the offense looks better under these conditions is because Patrick Mahomes doesn't check down and run into sacks like Alex Smith does. On the other hand, the defensive personnel has gotten worse for the 3rd year in a row.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 10:18 PM 09-21-2018
The Steelers had -5 yards of total offense on their first two possessions.

Interpret that how you want.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:10 PM 09-21-2018
Funny how Sorenson went from goat to hero.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 11:39 PM 09-21-2018
No. They are bad.
[Reply]
beach tribe 11:51 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Who is going to convince Sutton to stay aggressive? The head coach that has done the same thing with the offense for the last 5 years?

If the coaching is going to change, it has to start at the top. The reason the offense looks better under these conditions is because Patrick Mahomes doesn't check down and run into sacks like Alex Smith does. On the other hand, the defensive personnel has gotten worse for the 3rd year in a row.
Like I said im HOPING.
Definitely not counting on it.

I could easily see another huge lead blown in the POs.

IF we lose in the POs i almost hope that is how it happens so they will be forced to can his ass and we dont have to run the risk of it happening when we finally reach the SB.

That would be the Chiefest thing to happen and it wouldnt catch anyone by surprise.

Maybe we could top Atlanta for biggest choke job ever.
[Reply]
beach tribe 11:52 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
How much better will the defense be when we get Berry and Sorenson back?
One of these things is not like the other.
[Reply]
JakeF 11:54 PM 09-21-2018
No, they are bad.

Forget the defense as a whole and just watch the players. Our cornerbacks can't stay with the receivers. Our defense line can't beat the blockers in front of them. Our coaches can't scheme enough to make up for their weakness. Our scheme is non-existent. Preseason generic isn't much different than our regular scheme.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 21
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up