ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 21
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Has our defense been HARSHLY judged?
UChieffyBugger 04:35 PM 09-21-2018
It seems to be in fashion to knock the Chiefs defense. WE as fans slaughter them daily, the local press slaughter then daily, the NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL media slaughter them daily, and when I sit and think about the circumstances sounding that group, one could argue that they are getting judged a little harshly.

Now let's start with the preseason. Ragland and Hitchens played ONE warm-up together against the Bears and both missed several practice sessions. Nelson got knocked out of the Atlanta game and missed sessions himself, whilst Parker wasn't even In our building during the preseason. Then we have Ford who Is just returning to the team after being out for most of last season, and Houston barely played In the warm-up games himself.

Last year there was a perception that we had "the worst defense known to man", but I argued it was an overblown notion because the reality was that we were around fifteenth In the points allowed tally. But that notion has stuck with the team and now this unit that has barely played together Is thrown together and Is trying to both gel as a unit and get their football legs going all whilst facing TWO quality offenses on the road. The Pats defense started off badly too last year and then managed to be a decent unit until the superbowl where they contrived to drop their best corner, so there is a clear example of how things can change quickly In this game.
[Reply]
Best22 05:42 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Yay. So if we run into a high powered offense in the playoffs we're ****ed unless either Berry or Sorenson come back and make a big difference or Mahomes is still playing at an unsustainable rate. Yippee.
The offense had better be high-powered in the playoffs

That's like a Raven fan in 2000 saying "Our defense has to be elite in the playoffs for us to win a Superbowl?"

Uh...yeah. They sure do

That's why we have Mahomes now, and not Smith. Only Mahomes gives you a chance of scoring big in the playoffs when you need it the most
[Reply]
The Franchise 05:43 PM 09-21-2018
Said it a couple of days ago and I'll say it again now. I think we hold the 49ers under 21 points on Sunday.
[Reply]
O.city 05:48 PM 09-21-2018
I mean, I’m pretty sure if Conley doesn’t fumble we win that one by 3 scores.
As much as I hate it, you’re gonna give up points to the Steelers so that’s not terrible.

And the charger game was what, 31 10?

They haven’t been good but there’s been quite a bit of garbage time plays made
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 06:12 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
These were the points the Pats conceded In their first four games last season

42= vs Chiefs
20= vs Saints
33= vs Houston
33= Panthers

And everyone was saying it's a "historically bad" defense. But from that Panthers gone onwards, they became one of the top defensive units in the league which took them to the superbowl. So there is a clear example of how things can turn around quickly.
You are referring to the same 2017 Patriots defense that gave up 500+ yards and 40+ points in the Super Bowl to an opposing offense led by a back-up QB?
[Reply]
loochy 06:27 PM 09-21-2018
JFC what a homer thread
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 06:40 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
Said it a couple of days ago and I'll say it again now. I think we hold the 49ers under 21 points on Sunday.
They probably should, honestly. Home opener in week 3 and you’re 2-0.

If they give up more, it’ll be because they jumped up multiple scores and get stuck out there for another 75+ plays.
[Reply]
jettio 06:47 PM 09-21-2018
Defense is much better than the naysayers are saying.

D forces a punt on drive after 42-28. Pittsburgh downs punt near goal line and forces a safety.

That makes it 42-30 and puts D right back on field. D forces a punt again.

Chiefs drive until Conley fumble and D did a good job of making Pittsburgh run 3 minutes off of the clock to get a score and get within 5.

Chiefs forced 3 punts in the second half and only allowed 2 scoring drives even though safety and fumble put them on the field 2 extra times.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 06:48 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by jettio:
Defense is much better than the naysayers are saying.

D forces a punt on drive after 42-28. Pittsburgh downs punt near goal line and forces a safety.

That makes it 42-30 and puts D right back on field. D forces a punt again.

Chiefs drive until Conley fumble and D did a good job of making Pittsburgh run 3 minutes off of the clock to get a score and get within 5.

Chiefs forced 3 punts in the second half and only allowed 2 scoring drives even though safety and fumble put them on the field 2 extra times.
Funny how things got a lot better when Sutton stopped with the 3-man rush bullshit. He needs to give that up. Use it sparingly.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:51 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
As much as I hate it, you’re gonna give up points to the Steelers so that’s not terrible.

And the charger game was what, 31 10?

They haven’t been good but there’s been quite a bit of garbage time plays made

The Conley fumble was huge.

The Chiefs had the ball & were methodically moving the ball down the field while running the clock. I think Mahomes missed out on a 7th TD pass too. The score would have been 49-30.
[Reply]
jettio 06:56 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Funny how things got a lot better when Sutton stopped with the 3-man rush bullshit. He needs to give that up. Use it sparingly.
No joke. I thought Sutton was from Buddy Ryan, Rex Ryan 46 philosophy.

Seems like every stop in the 2nd half was after more aggressive defensive play calling.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 07:01 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
You are referring to the same 2017 Patriots defense that gave up 500+ yards and 40+ points in the Super Bowl to an opposing offense led by a back-up QB?
So everything they did until that point didn't matter? :-) Didn't Philly give up a ton of points too? Is their defense bad aswell?
[Reply]
eDave 07:01 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by loochy:
JFC what a homer thread
This is where we need Dane McCloud.
[Reply]
BlackOp 07:03 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
That cost them a defensive TD (along with Fullers dropped INT) and possibly another offensive TD. The ignored hold on Houston cost them a TD. The missed Murray sack cost them a punt. The missed hold on Jones extended another drive. Strip sack/TD wiped out and they score on that drive. Amazing Steeler punt results in a 2 play drive +Safety... (A little bit of trivia...if Mahomes hits Hill on that bomb, He sets 2 NFL records in one play. 7 passing TDs and a 99.5 yard TD pass)

A lot of factors went into such horrid stat line plus its pretty rare to go up 21 in the first quarter.

Steelers were the #3/Chargers #4 offenses in 2017. What if the season started against Buffalo and Seattle?

Both QBs are top 10 all-time in passing yards have a bit of sandlot in their game. Both starters are out at safety. One replacement CB has been in the system for a little over 2 weeks. Parker joined right before game 1. Hitchens/Ragland played one game together in preseason.

Chargers had 260+ yards in the 4th quarter while playing a prevent look. Chiefs werent even really trying to stop them...

They are definitely not good...but they arent THIS bad.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:04 PM 09-21-2018
The postive thing is that if they get Berry back and can solidify themselves to just an average level, that may be enough to get to a SB with their offense
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:16 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by jettio:
No joke. I thought Sutton was from Buddy Ryan, Rex Ryan 46 philosophy.

Seems like every stop in the 2nd half was after more aggressive defensive play calling.
He is.

Those guys weren't great defensive coordinators when they had crap for players either...
[Reply]
Page 3 of 21
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up