ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 172
« First < 34567 8910111757107 > Last »
Media Center>Better Call Saul
rico 11:01 PM 10-06-2013

As I am sure many of y'all already know, a spinoff of "Breaking Bad" titled "Better Call Saul" will be airing in 2014. This is going to be a prequel to Breaking Bad and will be based on the character of Saul Goodman from "Breaking Bad."

I, for one, will be watching. I'm sure the majority of all of you other "Breaking Bad" fans will be as well. Might as well get the discussion going sooner rather than later.

So... what are your hopes, expectations and/or concerns with the show? Here are some of mine:

Hopes: I hope to see Saul do his thing in the courtroom. I hope to see strong, unique supporting characters. I hope to see Breaking Bad foreshadowing. I hope he has an intriguing paralegal and/or assistant. I hope to see Breaking Bad characters such as Fring, Mike, etc...whoever. I hope the show kicks ass.

Expectations: I don't expect it to be as good as "Breaking Bad" (because nothing else is, really), but I expect it to be good since Vince Gilligan is writing. I somewhat expect it to have an even balance of comedy and drama...since Saul undeniably provides a substantial amount of comedic relief in "Breaking Bad." I expect to see "courtroom Saul." I expect the "Breaking Bad" references and character cameos to be less than what I hope. If it isn't even a fraction as good as "Breaking Bad," I expect it to be better than 95% of everything else on TV, since there is some shitty shit on TV these days.

Concerns: I'd be a liar if I were to say that I didn't think this show has potential of flopping and certainly failing to meet the presumed high expectations of the audience. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be good... but I think it COULD suck if not executed properly. My main concern is Saul ultimately proving himself to be a "little dab will do ya" type of character, which would lead to a show centered around his character not working out. I am hoping that the character of Saul will not be so over-used and constantly over the top, that he becomes annoying to me, thus ruining his character for me altogether... Not saying I think this will be how it goes down...just saying I think there is a CHANCE of this being the case, which prompts me to believe that a strong supporting cast is VITAL in terms of the amount of success/quality this show will accumulate. All in all, I don't think VG will steer us in an unfortunate direction though...I think they'll pull it off.

Thoughts?

DISCUS!!!!

[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:53 PM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Well, he had to learn to be a criminal lawyer somehow. Getting in with the biggest guy in the meth game in ABQ would explain how he built his bonafides.
I completely agree. The fact that Jesse Pinkman knew to "Call Saul" illustrates that Saul had made quite a name for himself in those circles.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:24 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
The first season of Breaking Bad didn't exactly storm out of the gates the first few episodes.
I didnt even like BB until later in the 1st season. You really appreciate the character development down the line, even though it seems slow at the time. If you dont want any slow eps, just go watch Criminal Minds where every episode is corny and almost always the same
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 09:35 AM 02-10-2015
Can't believe how many are bitching, but call themselves BB fans. I thought the second episode was amazingly fast paced for Vince Gilligan's writing style. I think a great premise has been established; can't wait to see where they take it.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 08:01 PM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan:
Can't believe how many are bitching, but call themselves BB fans. I thought the second episode was amazingly fast paced for Vince Gilligan's writing style. I think a great premise has been established; can't wait to see where they take it.
If people don't like the show so far it is because they are a biznatch.
[Reply]
notorious 10:09 PM 02-10-2015
Gilligan is going by the BB playbook.

Create desperation with the main character, show him fucking up on his first attempt at "Breaking Bad" (and nearly dying), have a scene showing the despair of the main character trying to do things the right way only to have the "Bad" solution being dangled in front of him.

This is going almost exactly like the Walt storyline.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:49 PM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by notorious:
Gilligan is going by the BB playbook.

Create desperation with the main character, show him ****ing up on his first attempt at "Breaking Bad" (and nearly dying), have a scene showing the despair of the main character trying to do things the right way only to have the "Bad" solution being dangled in front of him.

This is going almost exactly like the Walt storyline.
AND IT'S GOING TO BE ****ING AWESOME.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:08 AM 02-11-2015
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
If people don't like the show so far it is because they are a biznatch.

[Reply]
notorious 08:51 AM 02-11-2015
If only Tuco's gang knew what what going to happen to them in about 10 years. :-)

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Chiefspants 06:32 PM 02-11-2015
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Looks like Tuco spilled salsa on his hand.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 12:09 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by notorious:
If only Tuco's gang knew what what going to happen to them in about 10 years. :-)

What happened to No-Doze 10 years later was for speaking up out of turn, if I recall. Can't say he hadn't been warned.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 12:13 AM 02-12-2015
Just wondering...is there some informal CP rule for using the 'Spoiler' thing?

I kinda feel like on a weekly show, if you haven't watched it by the next day it aired, you take a risk coming in here.
[Reply]
Dunit35 01:41 AM 02-12-2015

I kinda feel like on a weekly show, if you haven't watched it by the next day it aired, you take a risk coming in here.
I don't come into here or the TWD thread until I catch up.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:37 AM 02-12-2015

That's it. Anything AFTER it's aired is fair game.

For something like TWD, most courtesy spoiler anything from the comics.
[Reply]
raybec 4 07:36 AM 02-12-2015
Yes, that's it.
I did think it was a little confusing though. That was a flash-forward (I assume). And he made the Cinnabon in Omaha quip in the past.
That seems like an oddly specific quip for it to actually come true. It made me re-think the time line for a second.
Maybe he had an 'in' at Cinnabon and knew he could get a manager gig there?
Just seems weird.
I also recall Saul trying to sell Jesse that same nail shop his office was in to launder his money.
[Reply]
notorious 09:08 AM 02-12-2015
Watch Breaking Bad episode 8. It was an awesome episode from beginning to end.

Saul's introduction. :-)

He even tells Walt his real name is "McGill".
[Reply]
Page 7 of 172
« First < 34567 8910111757107 > Last »
Up