ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 9
« First < 56789
Nzoner's Game Room>How Many 1st Rounders for YOU to trade Mahomes?
Pablo 07:05 AM 09-22-2018
It's a simple question.

Looks like we have an absolute stud at QB and that's the most important position in the league. However, if 'X' team came at you as Chiefs GM and offered you 'x' future 1st round picks for Pat, what does it take for you to move him?

Everything has it's price right?
[Reply]
rico 12:05 AM 09-23-2018
I remember this episode of The Wonder Years where Paul and Kevin were trading baseball cards and Kevin would throw all these offers at Paul for his Willie McCovey card and no matter how much Kevin sweetened the deal, Paul would have the same response...”forget about it, McCovey is off the table.”

I feel the same way about Mahomes. The dude is off the table. I wouldn’t trade him for freaking anything.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:12 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:
Yes, some people take life too seriously ... those are usually people who take themselves too seriously, though. Personally, I consider those people to be mortal enemies and, frankly, it's either them or me.

As for the gin. Acquired taste, I suppose. Still, when you get the balance between the gin and the vermouth just right ... I mean, just right ... it requires a little tinkering ... and you're using quality ingredients ... a good gin martini has no flavor.

Actually, I'm less of a stat guy and more of an eyeball test guy. I watch quite a bit of Chiefs on Game Pass and evaluate what I see based on the context of the game as it unfolds.

To me, it seems like stats sometimes trick me ... you know, they can tell a misleading tale. Not always, of course ... and I'm quite sure that numbers often provide valuable insight. But I enjoy football based on what's happening on the field, though ... not on a piece of paper. But everybody's a little different. Except Mr. Rain Man ... he's real different (if you know what I mean).

FAX
Haha, I get the eyeball test. I'm very much into the eyeball test as well, but that is harder for me to figure out. That is why I use the stats to help as well. Stats are my new love, I have always loved watching the game. It just seems as I get older I'm not into the game as much. I don't know if that comes with age or just general apathy as being a Chiefs fan. I still love the Chiefs and get excited for the game. I'm just not as excited as I was when I was in high school or early college. It seems my drop in excitement directly correlates with the playoff collapse to the Colts. Also, I've been a Royals fan for as long as I can remember and it seems like their success killed some of my excitement for sports.

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the different defenses or different offenses. That is the next step that I would like to take. I'd really like to learn the different defenses and offenses. I'm kind of rambling at the moment, but I'm in the mood to talk and I'm going all over the place.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:34 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The #1 pick for the next 5 years wouldn't guarantee we'd find anyone better. Until he shows that he's NOT a generational talent, he has no price.
/thread.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:17 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
If we want to talk generational quarterbacks since the 1970 merger, we've got ...

Manning 1998
Favre 1991
Brees 2001 if you're generous
Brady 2000 if you assume it's not just cheating
Marino 1983
Montana 1979
Steve Young 1985
Moon 1984
Rodgers 2005

That's it. That's the list.

On the second tier, you've got...

Roethlisberger 2004
Fouts if you're really generous 1973
Kelly 1986
Aikman 1989
Cunningham 1985
Bradshaw 1970 if you really want to stretch it

So in the top two tiers you've got 15 guys over 40 years (stopping the clock at 2010 since we don't know about the newer guys yet).

If we assume an average of 30 teams in the league per year, that means there have been 15 top-shelf quarterbacks taken in 1,200 drafts. So in any draft, and using all of their draft picks, a team has a 1 in 80 chance of getting a top-shelf quarterback.

That doesn't mean that a top-tier quarterback is worth 80 drafts, because presumably you'd get something of value from the other 500+ picks. But given the value of a top-tier quarterback, I'd argue that he's worth at least 25 to 30 entire drafts.

But I wouldn't accept that trade.
No Rivers or Matt Ryan? If you have Moon on there you should probably have those two as well. Moon threw for a ton but never sniffed a title.

Oh yea. Where’s Elway?
[Reply]
Pablo 08:36 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
No Rivers or Matt Ryan? If you have Moon on there you should probably have those two as well. Moon threw for a ton but never sniffed a title.

Oh yea. Where’s Elway?
Sleeping off a hangover in the back of his car?
[Reply]
DRM08 09:48 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:

Oh yea. Where’s Elway?
You put Matt Ryan in the same class as Warren Moon? Ryan is a high level game manager.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 09:56 AM 09-23-2018
It would take having the first overall pick every year for the next ten years.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:31 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by DRM08:
You put Matt Ryan in the same class as Warren Moon? Ryan is a high level game manager.
Ultimately for now yes.

Moon always lost in the playoffs. Great player, but not transcendent
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 10:38 AM 09-23-2018
all of them from now until the end of time
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:48 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by DRM08:
I wouldn't call him a game manager. He's had 7 straight seasons of 4000 yards or more. Has made it to a SB and is a MVP. He's going to be in the hall of fame with a couple more seasons like he usually has. He's never gonna get a Superbowl win though because those belong to Patrick and the Chiefs.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:49 AM 09-23-2018
NO DEAL...
[Reply]
DRM08 10:52 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I wouldn't call him a game manager. He's had 7 straight seasons of 4000 yards or more. Has made it to a SB and is a MVP. He's going to be in the hall of fame with a couple more seasons like he usually has. He's never gonna get a Superbowl win though because those belong to Patrick and the Chiefs.
He's also been blessed with some of the best receivers in the league, really good RB's, and a great defense for pretty much his entire career. I view him more as a product of the system.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:48 PM 09-23-2018
Also, Eli Manning wasn’t on Rain Mains list. He’s probably in the 2nd tier.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 9
« First < 56789
Up