ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 163
« First < 23456 789101656106 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hunting type things.....
Iowanian 02:27 PM 10-02-2003
Its fall. Bow season has opened in at least Missouri and Iowania. I thought we could discuss related topics. Tips, braggin', near misses....

relay your hunting stories, pics and tips here.

anti hunting types.....find another corner to squat in.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 08:11 AM 10-24-2003
Originally Posted by PastorMikH:
7 Mag??? You sure that's enough gun for a squirrel???

:-)
Serves him right, no one likes a snitch anyway.
That’s why I’ll shoot Killdeer whenever I think I can get away with it.
I’m sure you know what I’m talk’n ‘bout Pastor.
[Reply]
Bwana 08:14 AM 10-24-2003
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Serves him right, no one likes a snitch anyway.
That’s why I’ll shoot Killdeer whenever I think I can get away with it.
I’m sure you know what I’m talk’n ‘bout Pastor.
Those damn birds are worse than squirrels in the nark department. :-)
[Reply]
PastorMikH 08:14 AM 10-24-2003
Iowanian, I've always been curious but never have gotten a satisfactory answer, why is it that Iowa doesn't allow rifle hunting for deer?

BTW, Deer drive from someplace other than heaven... We are working a huge draw in NE Missouri (almost at the iowa line) and dad is a blocker. (actually, we had worked a number of smaller ones on the way to this one and had gotten a fair ways from the truck) He sees a big buck come out of the draw about 400 miles up and try to circle back up the draw. Dad shoots the legs out from under it (Stepped it off and it was amost 450 yards when he shot it). he gets up to the deer, finishes it off then we find out that someone put a gate up with a handly lock on it so we can't drive down close to where the deer is. That is when we started a drag that lasted for what felt like 10 miles.
[Reply]
redbrian 08:17 AM 10-24-2003
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Brian, I'd heard that, but didn't pay much attention as I've never hunted doves. I do like shooting pidgeons flying out of hay mows though
Here is just part of the story;

Iowa, has surfaced as an unlikely battleground for hunters and the anti-hunting movement.

When sportsmen and pro-hunting groups pushed for an initiative that would legalize dove hunting in the state, anti-hunters pushed back -- and showed just how much might they have.

In 2000, the debate became so heated that national anti-hunting groups such as Fund for Animals and pro-hunting forces such as the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance became involved.

Each side made highly emotional pleas to the public.

The pro-hunters pointed out that the dove was a challenging gamebird that was legal game in 39 other states. They pointed out that though the dove was small, it is tasty game. And they maintained that because Iowa has one of the largest populations of doves in the nation, hunting would not endanger bird numbers.

The anti-hunters asserted that the dove is a songbird that should not be hunted. They pointed to the fact that the dove was known as the "bird of peace," and wasn't a bird of the hunting fields. It had been protected since 1918, they said, and it should remain that way.

The campaign got ugly. At one point, members of a five-man committee supporting dove hunting claimed to have gotten what they thought was a death threat from an anonymous letter writer.

No animal-rights group accepted responsibility for writing the letter. In fact, the anti-hunting movement accused pro-hunting groups of fabricating the letter to get sympathy for their cause.

Whatever the case, the pro-hunting bill passed in both chambers of the Iowa Legislature. But the anti-hunters weren't done. They mounted a furious last-minute campaign, urging Iowans opposed to dove hunting to contact Gov. Tom Vilsack.

In January 2001, Vilsack vetoed the bill, saying, "The majority of Iowans do not support changing the current law to legalize dove hunting. My office has received contact from thousands of concerned Iowans regarding this issue and my conclusion is that this policy is not right for our state at this time."

Here is the link for the full story:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...rs/7040329.htm

These nuts want to stop all hunting.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 08:19 AM 10-24-2003
I do really enjoy deer hunting out here. First off, we have both Muleys and whitetail and all can get extremely large. I love to hunt in the sandhills where there are a lot of sage and yuca plants. Get up on a large hill and start glassing. Sometimes we can glass for an hour or better but sooner or later you almost always find a pack of deer. Usually though you find several bunches but are looking for the big deer and keep looking. Once a big one is located, you start a stalk. Now, with a rifle this isn't too bad, but with a bow it can be the ultimate test of your abilities. It's hard to sit in a tree stand again after hunting like that.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 08:25 AM 10-24-2003
I do really enjoy deer hunting out here. First off, we have both Muleys and whitetail and all can get extremely large. I love to hunt in the sandhills where there are a lot of sage and yuca plants. Get up on a large hill and start glassing. Sometimes we can glass for an hour or better but sooner or later you almost always find a pack of deer. Usually though you find several bunches but are looking for the big deer and keep looking. Once a big one is located, you start a stalk. Now, with a rifle this isn't too bad, but with a bow it can be the ultimate test of your abilities. It's hard to sit in a tree stand again after hunting like that.
I can believe that, sounds exhilarating.
[Reply]
Iowanian 08:30 AM 10-24-2003
Pastor,

The reason the state gives for not allowing rifle hunting for deer(legal for coyotes) is because its 'too dangerous"...North of I-80 is very,very flat for the most part..there are regions like the far NE corner that aren't..but a high percentage is to flat....bullets go too far.

I think the state should allow rifle hunting by zones they already have for tags...southern Iowa and NE Iowa should be allowed Rifle hunts IMO.....

Several people get shot each year because of the way we shotgun hunt.....you have to be VERY aware of your surroundings and where the people are in front of you.

Actually......on paper..group hunting sounds bad...."Jed, I'm gonna chase these deer strait to ya, when you see them...shoot back at me....k.

Smart hunters wait until its clear they won't shoot in the direction of the others, and even let them "pass" before shooting......but some don't "think well in the heat of bat'tow"....when an antler is in a pack of deer....you'd better trust who you're hunting with.
[Reply]
Devin Vierth 08:48 AM 10-24-2003
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Up until the 50 mile per hour winds kicked in last night, it has been in the 80's around here for the last week. (It is Oct right) We have been breaking record highs for days now.:-) Not exactly great hunting weather. I can't even get fired up about going after big game until I see some snow on the ground.

Today, highs in the 50's which is more like it for this time of year. I have been out a few times and doing some scouting and when it does snow, I may leave my wife an 8x10 so she remembers what I look like, and be gone for days. :-)

Its been in the 80's here also and so I have only gone hunting once and it was a waste. The temp dropped some yesterday so I am going this whole weekend.

The sad part is that it is still too warm, but it is the last week of hunting season. No November hunt here except by draw or bow. I didn't draw a tag and I don't bow hunt. It sucks!
[Reply]
PastorMikH 08:49 AM 10-24-2003
Pastor,

The reason the state gives for not allowing rifle hunting...

I've heard most of that arguement, but after living in the flatest place in the entire world I'm not sure that I agree with their reasoning. The only major exception I could see is in flat regions with high population densities. However, limitations on caliber/bullet types would be about as effective (ie the long range, flat shooting calibers discourages while shorter range, heavier bullet calibers encouraged). Just something about hunting with a shotgun and buckshot/slugs doesn't appeal to me on the same level as with my 270.:-)
[Reply]
PastorMikH 08:57 AM 10-24-2003
Originally Posted by Devin Vierth:
...and I don't bow hunt...

If you have the time to devote to it, I would DEFINATELY RECOMMEND giving archery a try. When I moved to Kansas you had to decide what means you wanted to persue a buck. If you decided to rifle hunt for a buck, you could only get antlerless tags for archery and vice versa. I had bowhunted for years in Missouri and opted for archery instead and have never regretted it. I didn't put as much meat in the freezer, but I was able to spend more time in the outdoor, hone my hunting skills much more, and have many close encounters with deer as well as other experiences with wildlife/nature. Archery gives you as much as 3-4 months to hunt instead of 1-2 weeks and I have found that a lot more landowners will give you permission to bow hunt than would if you were asking to hunt with a rifle.
[Reply]
Iowanian 08:58 AM 10-24-2003
I don't disagree Pastor, and I think they should look at Missouri and particularly Kansas.

I know I'd be fine with an 30.06 alone with "1 shot 1 kill" vs having 30 slugs thrown in the vicinity of deer from 3 directions.

Last year I found myself crawling on the ground for cover twice as slugs whizzed over my head and broke sticks. the first and last time I'll be hunting with those boys.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 09:06 AM 10-24-2003
I don't disagree Pastor, and I think they should look at Missouri and particularly Kansas.

I know I'd be fine with an 30.06 alone with "1 shot 1 kill" vs having 30 slugs thrown in the vicinity of deer from 3 directions.

Last year I found myself crawling on the ground for cover twice as slugs whizzed over my head and broke sticks. the first and last time I'll be hunting with those boys.

GEE WHIZ! That is scary!

Yet another reason to bow hunt!

I really get uncomfortable hunting in large crowds. A lot of people out here pheasant hunt with 30 guys walking across a field with more blocking at the end. There is a lot of that shooting at each other going on. One morning last season, there were a bunch of ministers that got together here where I live now. We were walking a field and one of the guys shot a pheasant and ran out ahead of the line to where the pheasant went down to catch it before it ran off - he was taught this as a kid. Well, as he ran ahead of the line, more pheasants got up and if I hadn't yelled at the kid next to me he would have shot at a bird as it flew low over the guy's head.

Hunting is really safe as long as people don't act stupid.
[Reply]
Devin Vierth 09:31 AM 10-24-2003
If you have the time to devote to it, I would DEFINATELY RECOMMEND giving archery a try. When I moved to Kansas you had to decide what means you wanted to persue a buck. If you decided to rifle hunt for a buck, you could only get antlerless tags for archery and vice versa. I had bowhunted for years in Missouri and opted for archery instead and have never regretted it. I didn't put as much meat in the freezer, but I was able to spend more time in the outdoor, hone my hunting skills much more, and have many close encounters with deer as well as other experiences with wildlife/nature. Archery gives you as much as 3-4 months to hunt instead of 1-2 weeks and I have found that a lot more landowners will give you permission to bow hunt than would if you were asking to hunt with a rifle.
It would be nice, but I just don't have the time to devote to becoming proficient with a bow. Gut shooting a deer with an arrow just doesn't appeal to me. Killer that I am, I still have a little compassion left in me!
[Reply]
Radar Chief 09:39 AM 10-24-2003
Originally Posted by Devin Vierth:
It would be nice, but I just don't have the time to devote to becoming proficient with a bow. Gut shooting a deer with an arrow just doesn't appeal to me. Killer that I am, I still have a little compassion left in me!

It’s not that I’d have a problem with the kill; it’s the waste of meat that would bother me. Gut shooting a deer with an arrow makes your kill nearly impossible to find.
At least until the coyotes tell you where it is.
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:41 AM 10-24-2003
If you practice, know your range and distance you won't miss...in theory.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 163
« First < 23456 789101656106 > Last »
Up