ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 148 of 163
« First < 4898138144145146147148 149150151152158 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hunting type things.....
Iowanian 02:27 PM 10-02-2003
Its fall. Bow season has opened in at least Missouri and Iowania. I thought we could discuss related topics. Tips, braggin', near misses....

relay your hunting stories, pics and tips here.

anti hunting types.....find another corner to squat in.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:36 AM 10-12-2019
I will miss most/all of the game, we're taking some Scouts out to teach them to sight-in a rifle.

This year should be a fun youth hunt weekend. It's always fun and rewarding to introduce a kid to hunting, especially if they harvest a decent buck. But the key is safety above all...

I'm stoked..
[Reply]
stumppy 07:20 AM 10-12-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I will miss most/all of the game, we're taking some Scouts out to teach them to sight-in a rifle.

This year should be a fun youth hunt weekend. It's always fun and rewarding to introduce a kid to hunting, especially if they harvest a decent buck. But the key is safety above all...

I'm stoked..
That's going about it the hard way. Get them all a BB guns and turn them loose. They'll figure out how to sight-in any rifle. That's how I learned. Just remember to get a liability waiver signed for any damage they may cause in their neighborhoods.:-)
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 07:51 AM 10-12-2019
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
Bugs don’t like the smell of garlic and it decreases your attractiveness.
As a Sicilian male, and as someone with garlic and olive oil coursing through my veins, I can assure you that garlic does NOT decrease your attractiveness :-)
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:45 AM 10-12-2019

I'm stoked..
Good for you man
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:16 AM 10-12-2019
Originally Posted by stumppy:
That's going about it the hard way. Get them all a BB guns and turn them loose. They'll figure out how to sight-in any rifle. That's how I learned. Just remember to get a liability waiver signed for any damage they may cause in their neighborhoods.:-)
They're passed that, this groups of kids have all been shooting at camp and and other camp-outs for a while, now it's time for them to move to that next level.

You know, the level that has them get up WAAAAY early, get out in the cold, climb into a tree-stand, SHUT UP/LOOK/LISTEN, move slowly, aim well, squeeze the trigger, then use the butt-out tool! :-)

Oh, and this is just funny... Socks!!!!!!!!!

[Reply]
stumppy 09:29 AM 10-12-2019
They're passed that, this groups of kids have all been shooting at camp and and other camp-outs for a while, now it's time for them to move to that next level.

You know, the level that has them get up WAAAAY early, get out in the cold, climb into a tree-stand, SHUT UP/LOOK/LISTEN, move slowly, aim well, squeeze the trigger, then use the butt-out tool! :-)

Oh, and this is just funny... Socks!!!!!!!!!

:-)

Yea, you know at that point a few of them might be having second thoughts about this deer hunting stuff.:-)
[Reply]
58-4ever 09:50 AM 10-12-2019
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
Eat something with lots of garlic a few hours before you go hunting then use something with at least 10% Deet. Bugs don’t like the smell of garlic and it decreases your attractiveness. Deet is also the only repellant that is actually effective. You don’t need the 100% stuff.
100 percent is not necessary, but 10 percent is not effective enough either. I would look for 30 percent or more...
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 11:25 AM 10-12-2019
Coming to the office this morning, saw a guy took out a nice wall hanger with his Ford Mustang. Couldn't see how many points but laying on the highway it stood out.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:02 PM 10-12-2019
Originally Posted by stumppy:
:-)

Yea, you know at that point a few of them might be having second thoughts about this deer hunting stuff.:-)
Yeah, the first time my son watched us field dress a deer, he thought it would go very differently. The first time he did one himself, well that was fun to watch. He did OK, but still fun to watch. The first wet doe he had to do was epic. I'm not sure many people are ready for that...
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:31 AM 10-13-2019
Filled my Archery Antelope tag for the first time last month, a few days later I shot a really nice antelope with my rifle. Filled my rifle doe tag as well.

Went duck hunting a couple times. Bunch of blue wing teal and a few other odds n ends the first time. Today my two buddies BOTH bailed so I went alone. Had a blast. Done in 10-15 minutes. 2 Male Redhead, 2 Male gadwall, female gadwall, and a nice spoonbill.
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:41 AM 10-13-2019
Been seeing a lot of deer rut activity too. Saw a decent 4x4, had another smaller 4x4 underneath my stand about 3 feet from my ladder. Got some cool video of him.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 03:52 PM 11-02-2019
The younger son filled his Any tag today.. Woot woot.. Now we move to bow for the rest of this youth portion...

[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:12 PM 11-03-2019
More luck for the younger son this evening, notched one of his doe archery tags... He really provided some Scouts with the deer they needed to learn about the side of hunting that people don't think about.

[Reply]
ghak99 10:07 AM 11-04-2019
Good stuff GloryDayz. :-)

Had a family member bring one of his friends "city kids" out to kill a doe this weekend. Said family member is basically considered the redneck Rambo where he lives and he often shares pictures and talks about all the guys back home being killing machines, so who knows what this poor kid had imagined he was about to go do. Put him in a 99% guaranteed deal for an experienced hunter and thankfully he managed to get one. Looks like it was good for getting his and his mom's inner city/suburbania social media circle the sight of at least one dead critter picture and being a teen I'm sure he'll have to tell the story at least a hundred times.

He only got a little blood on him, but he held the legs and watched/learned the process up close and personal and said he thought he could do it himself the next time. One of the best lines came right after.... "My step dad would have puked seeing that". :-) He's suppose to get to learn how to actually skin and process it after school today.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:42 AM 11-04-2019
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Good stuff GloryDayz. :-)

Had a family member bring one of his friends "city kids" out to kill a doe this weekend. Said family member is basically considered the redneck Rambo where he lives and he often shares pictures and talks about all the guys back home being killing machines, so who knows what this poor kid had imagined he was about to go do. Put him in a 99% guaranteed deal for an experienced hunter and thankfully he managed to get one. Looks like it was good for getting his and his mom's inner city/suburbania social media circle the sight of at least one dead critter picture and being a teen I'm sure he'll have to tell the story at least a hundred times.

He only got a little blood on him, but he held the legs and watched/learned the process up close and personal and said he thought he could do it himself the next time. One of the best lines came right after.... "My step dad would have puked seeing that". :-) He's suppose to get to learn how to actually skin and process it after school today.
The other young man who was assigned to us (my son and me) comes from pretty-much what you describe, but that happens quite a bit in scouting. But giving these young men an experience "from the other side" is good, especially when you think about how scouting is all outdoors'y type stuff. In this case my son, who watched a lot after his first kill, is now pretty-much needing no help with the field dressing, and what help he needs has to do with holding the deer so he can get in there and do the deed(s). And butchering is coming along nicely too. He pulled the tenderloins and backstraps off as well as anybody can hope, he pulled the shoulder off and wasted very little, and the neck was thick, and I was pretty impressed with his work there too. Now the hams need some work, but that's not new, and no matter how many times you've seen them you soon realize you aren't them. But hey, like I told him, use the tip of your knife and go slow.. He did OK. That buck yielded 94 pounds of processed meat. The doe won't be nearly that much, but will end up on the table(s) of the needy after we butcher it.

But here's the great news, that other young scout didn't think twice about getting in there and helped more than most "supposedly hunting savvy" adults - you know, the ones who buy their first rifle "new"... And if that young scout harvests one during the 2nd youth portion (last weekend in Nov/first day of Dec around here), I'm pretty sure that he and my son won't need much help at all.

Good times and very rewarding...
[Reply]
Page 148 of 163
« First < 4898138144145146147148 149150151152158 > Last »
Up