ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 110 of 163
« First < 1060100106107108109110 111112113114120160 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hunting type things.....
Iowanian 02:27 PM 10-02-2003
Its fall. Bow season has opened in at least Missouri and Iowania. I thought we could discuss related topics. Tips, braggin', near misses....

relay your hunting stories, pics and tips here.

anti hunting types.....find another corner to squat in.
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 02:37 PM 07-08-2014
I ask you because youre in ft scott and I have a small family farm I want to do a food plot in thats located just south of la cygne so probably around the same type of climate. any help is appreciated!
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:02 PM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58:
I ask you because youre in ft scott and I have a small family farm I want to do a food plot in thats located just south of la cygne so probably around the same type of climate. any help is appreciated!
I'm in scott city. It's the other side of the state. The desert side.

If it's me though, I wouldn't roll with a mix. I'd till it down hard, plant alfalfa and spray a grass preemerge. Then I'd haul water and set up a grain dispenser.

Alfalfa you won't have to reseed next year.

Unless thereare a bunch of alfalfa fields around there
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 03:18 PM 07-08-2014
oh my bad i don't read good i guess ha i saw scott and thought fort Scott down in se ks. the farm is surrounded by 3 1000 acre corn and bean fields. I'm thinking of just doing a fall clover plot. sounds pretty easy from what im reading . And seeing deer like variety so since they've got all the corn and bean they want till whenever they harvest i figure i should tryn plant something else. Was also thinking of doing maybe a millet plot to tryn attract turkey n dove but i think i missed the planting window for that. Im a complete noob when it comes to this ive never planted anything in my life but want to help the wildlife populations and in turn my hunting harvest
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:27 PM 07-08-2014
oh my bad i don't read good i guess ha i saw scott and thought fort Scott down in se ks. the farm is surrounded by 3 1000 acre corn and bean fields. I'm thinking of just doing a fall clover plot. sounds pretty easy from what im reading . And seeing deer like variety so since they've got all the corn and bean they want till whenever they harvest i figure i should tryn plant something else. Was also thinking of doing maybe a millet plot to tryn attract turkey n dove but i think i missed the planting window for that. Im a complete noob when it comes to this ive never planted anything in my life but want to help the wildlife populations and in turn my hunting harvest
You're late for proso millet, but you could maybe do a pearl millet.

If its all corn and beans run a plot of rye.

If clover is easier than alfalfa to establish, do that. It should winter. You might try some bmr cane. It will get tall and they may head there when the cornn is harvested.
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 03:35 PM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
You're late for proso millet, but you could maybe do a pearl millet.

If its all corn and beans run a plot of rye.

If clover is easier than alfalfa to establish, do that. It should winter. You might try some bmr cane. It will get tall and they may head there when the cornn is harvested.
thanks for the tips!
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:55 PM 07-08-2014
thanks for the tips!
Heh. Not sure if my advice is any good. I'm a farm boy from desert country. May not work in your area.
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 07:45 PM 07-08-2014
Heh. Not sure if my advice is any good. I'm a farm boy from desert country. May not work in your area.
well im a yankee from the city so you know better than i do...I'm trying to read as much as i can about everything so i don't fuck up too much the first time
[Reply]
ghak99 08:57 PM 07-08-2014
You've never said what equipment you have to work with.

If you can get it worked up I'd go with wheat and clover and then spread more clover into the last snow melt next spring. The freeze & thaw cycles of early spring is perfect for getting clover established. My thinking is the wheat will hold some of the weeds off while giving them some green and giving the clover a chance to establish. The second round of clover will help get it established the rest of the way. We actually use this method without any tillage when switching fields from row crops to a clover hay rotation.

I prefer what many call jumbo red clover if it's in a spot I can mow fairly high mid summer. If it's in a spot I can't get a tractor to I tend to use the Ladino and other white clovers.
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 09:59 PM 07-08-2014
I have no farm equipment but i'm willing to spend some money to rent the required equipment to get it done. I definitely want to plant food that will be the least amount of upkeep for the most return to wildlife...ha if thats possible....
[Reply]
ghak99 09:09 PM 07-10-2014
Finally managed to get a lens between this little guy and his den. I would have gladly paid good money for more daylight.

[Reply]
Buehler445 09:15 PM 07-10-2014
Nice pic. I've seen far more foxes this year than I ever have. They're pretty hard on pheasants.
[Reply]
ghak99 09:33 PM 07-10-2014
Nice pic. I've seen far more foxes this year than I ever have. They're pretty hard on pheasants.
My parents live on my grandfathers original place which still has all the old run down barns from the days past. Over the years the dens and hay lofts have had a few litters, but the pups disappear so fast it's hard to catch one out.

We lost the majority of our pheasants years ago and the quail are close behind. The fence rows and brush are going so fast they just don't stand a chance. I kicked a big covey of young birds out of a weed patch spraying today and had to watch them fly out.... long enough I run a boom in the dirt. :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:42 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by ghak99:
My parents live on my grandfathers original place which still has all the old run down barns from the days past. Over the years the dens and hay lofts have had a few litters, but the pups disappear so fast it's hard to catch one out.

We lost the majority of our pheasants years ago and the quail are close behind. The fence rows and brush are going so fast they just don't stand a chance. I kicked a big covey of young birds out of a weed patch spraying today and had to watch them fly out.... long enough I run a boom in the dirt. :-)
That's a bitch. What are you spraying
[Reply]
ghak99 08:44 AM 07-11-2014
That's a bitch. What are you spraying
Wheat stubble. Short on hay so going to try to cram a soybean/millet forage mix in to roll up before fall.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:00 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Wheat stubble. Short on hay so going to try to cram a soybean/millet forage mix in to roll up before fall.
Ah. I didn't know you grew wheat in that country. Wanna spray some of mine? I'm behind. :-)
[Reply]
Page 110 of 163
« First < 1060100106107108109110 111112113114120160 > Last »
Up