ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 43
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs signing CB DeAndre Baker to practice squad
pugsnotdrugs19 05:51 PM 11-16-2020
I’ve seen this in a couple spots now, it’s early but here’s this from a NYP journalist... https://twitter.com/nypost_schwartz/...959128576?s=21

Originally Posted by :
Giants are not in on DeAndre Baker.
Teams interested: Chiefs, Bengals, 49ers and Jaguars.
This would obviously be a hell of a low risk/high reward move that makes so much sense for a team destined to pick in the 30s.
[Reply]
DRM08 06:37 PM 11-16-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Touché... well much like with Bell, I think you extend the offer and let him make his own decision.

Best long play for his career has to be going to Reid, Spagnuolo, Mathieu and Mahomes to win big AND eventually start. Our DB coaches >>> whoever else he can go to. Our safeties >>> their safeties.
And worst case scenario, you have the Reid/Mahomes offense which is good enough to run the table even with a terrible defense. Secondary was trash in 2018, but never forget that it was a defensive lineman jumping offsides on a game-ending INT by the secondary that cost them the Super Bowl.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 06:38 PM 11-16-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, but do we have CBs who are willing to play the gunner position?

And also special teams when needed?
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
We could have Burr to go alongside him.

(And you ignored my gunner joke. Don't make me drive my Ferrari to your house this weekend.)
Rep since I didn't get it the first time.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:39 PM 11-16-2020
He was mocked to us endlessly in that draft.

Not unlike Cam Erving who wound up a Chief.

Not unlike Reggie Ragland who wound up a Chief.

These are the low risk/high reward acquisitions that help provide depth and build up a roster.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:41 PM 11-16-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Baker would make a really good Breeland replacement.
He could. That's what I thought of while watching his highlight reel. Odds are that we lose Breeland next offseason, so we will need some kind of replacement. Maybe that's L. Snead, or maybe this kid could step into CB2. Either way, it would be a win.
[Reply]
dlphg9 06:43 PM 11-16-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
We have CBs tho
Has it ever hurt to have a plethora of awesome CBs? Seems like a Veach deal if I've ever seen one.
[Reply]
Kiimo 06:45 PM 11-16-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:

These are the low risk/high reward acquisitions that help provide depth and build up a roster.
I had tackling questions but would have been fine if the Chiefs drafted him.

Here you go

Originally Posted by :
Feet - Operates from a balanced platform, showcasing patient footwork and rarely false steps. Has some tightness transitioning off his plant foot. Does well to crowd routes earlier and sustain his balance through contact. Not overly springy.

Man Coverage - Illustrates a natural ability to pattern match receivers. Physical in the contact window and is active with his hands. Overcomes modest athletic ability with strong route anticipation skills. There will be receivers he simply cannot keep pace with vertically without help over the top.

Tackling - More often than not he will square up, wrap low and bring his feet through contact. Positions himself well to tackle and takes good angles to the football. Not a standout in run support but maintains his leverage and will get involved.

IQ/Awareness - Notable strength of his game. Illustrates excellent route anticipation and zone awareness. Battles to stay leveraged. Has an obvious understanding of layering coverage and his responsibilities. Trusts his technique.

Physicality - Ultra competitive when he is tested in coverage. Clicks and closes with urgency and intent. Stoutly takes on blocks on the perimeter and funnels runs back inside. Does not concede leverage easily and does well to work routes to the sideline.

Ball Skills - Extremely disruptive at the catch point when he is tested. Drives forward on the football with excellent timing and plays through the hands of the receiver. Tracks the football over his shoulder and closes. Strong football IQ and reactionary skills puts him into position to compete.

Press Technique - Excels at lining up on top of receivers and disrupting in the contact window. Hands are active and his base is balanced while perfectly blending patience and aggression.

Flexibility - Has some notable tightness in his hips and ankles when transitioning. Not overly smooth with his change of direction skills. Makes up for deficiencies with strong processing skills. Will be limited in off-man duties.

Versatility - Projects best as an outside corner in a press/zone scheme. Can situationally play in the slot but speedster could be a problem. Adequate run defender. Limited in off-man coverage.

BEST TRAIT - Press Coverage

WORST TRAIT - Speed

RED FLAGS - None

Deandre Baker improved every year in college, culminating with a dominant senior season. His blend of ball skills, press technique, route anticipation skills and awareness combined with modest fluidity and long speed make him best served to function as a press/zone corner. Baker is an extreme competitor which shows up in how he tackles, battles at the catch point and plays off contact. Given his limitations in off-man coverage, Baker is a scheme-specific prospect but represents top-end ability for a team in search of what he does well. Baker should be an impact starter in press/zone.

[Reply]
Megatron96 06:48 PM 11-16-2020
Wiki says he posted a 4.52 40 time, which means he could be as fast as 4.45 or so. Basically as fast as Ward. C. Ward on one side and Baker on the other would be a pretty nice duo against 80-90% of the league.
[Reply]
Kiimo 06:49 PM 11-16-2020
The speed and talent of our safeties limit the importance of that. If they have a burner put Sneed on that guy
[Reply]
carcosa 06:52 PM 11-16-2020
Guess we better get to posting!!!!!!
[Reply]
Mecca 06:53 PM 11-16-2020
If we're being real he has a lot more value than Tedric Thompson, Armani Watts and yes Bopete Keyes.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 06:54 PM 11-16-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:

And both guys sucked. So what does that say?
[Reply]
wazu 06:54 PM 11-16-2020
Originally Posted by carcosa:
Guess we better get to posting!!!!!!
Oh no.
[Reply]
Mecca 06:57 PM 11-16-2020
Also young cheap talent is exactly what we need. We're going to lose Ward and Breelands over the next 2 seasons.
[Reply]
Kiimo 07:03 PM 11-16-2020
He doesn't even have to play much this season. Rotate him in on some sub packages like his draft profile originally intended.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 07:04 PM 11-16-2020
Hell be a Bengal
[Reply]
Page 4 of 43
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up