ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 43
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs signing CB DeAndre Baker to practice squad
pugsnotdrugs19 05:51 PM 11-16-2020
I’ve seen this in a couple spots now, it’s early but here’s this from a NYP journalist... https://twitter.com/nypost_schwartz/...959128576?s=21

Originally Posted by :
Giants are not in on DeAndre Baker.
Teams interested: Chiefs, Bengals, 49ers and Jaguars.
This would obviously be a hell of a low risk/high reward move that makes so much sense for a team destined to pick in the 30s.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:04 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Ok so I missed the explanation.

What the fuck did this guy do to draw the ire of the Giants? Like, “off the field shit” doesn’t cover it. This is a recent 1st round pick we’re talking about. What exactly was it?

Not that I really care. It’s more I’m curious about what type of buttfucking moron Joe Judge is
Think this was one of the guys that was accused of trying to rob some poker game at gunpoint:
https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/14/deand...ants-seahawks/

Now, I haven't read the article linked in the OP of this thread yet, but my understanding is that he was acquitted or whatever of any wrongdoing in that incident; apparently it was some kind of set-up.

As to why exactly the Giants are not interested in bringing him back, well, it is Gettleman?
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 06:05 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The Cowboys did and they won exactly nothing for it.
Do you think Dak and Mahomes are the same type of player?
[Reply]
ModSocks 06:31 PM 11-17-2020
Ok so I missed the explanation.

What the fuck did this guy do to draw the ire of the Giants? Like, “off the field shit” doesn’t cover it. This is a recent 1st round pick we’re talking about. What exactly was it?

Not that I really care. It’s more I’m curious about what type of buttfucking moron Joe Judge is
Alleged armed robbery. And maybe attempting to pay off witnesses. Which might have also been an extortion attempt. Im not clear on that part.
[Reply]
ModSocks 06:37 PM 11-17-2020
Here we go.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-deandre-baker

Originally Posted by :
The Broward State Attorney's Office has dropped all charges against former New York Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker.

Baker was being prosecuted on four counts of robbery with a firearm. He was originally charged with four counts of armed robbery and four counts of aggravated assault with a firearm for allegedly taking jewelry and cash at gunpoint during a dice game in Miramar, Florida, in May.

Baker, 23, was told to stay away from the Giants this spring while he handled his legal problems. He was then placed on the commissioner's exempt list before being released by the Giants this summer. He is currently a free agent.

"Wish him the best luck in the future," coach Joe Judge said Monday, confirming that the Giants aren't interested in reuniting with Baker. "We've made the decision we think is best for the program. That is all I have to say about that."

The final straw in the case appeared to be a South Florida attorney being arrested early Monday morning for attempting to extort Baker on behalf of three of the alleged victims.

William Dean, 50, was looking for Baker to pay more than $266,000 to each of his clients, who in turn would do "anything you want, so long as the money is right."

"The result is the correct result in dismissing DeAndre's case," Baker's attorney Bradford Cohen said. "We have been saying he was a victim of an extortion from day one."

According to the original arrest warrant, Baker and Seattle Seahawks cornerback Quinton Dunbar were accused of stealing money and watches while armed with semiautomatic firearms. The warrant stated that Baker intentionally threatened victims with a firearm. Prosecutors declined to file criminal charges against Dunbar because of insufficient evidence, but decided to proceed on Baker on Aug. 5.

The victims had already recanted their sworn statements last month in affidavits obtained by ESPN. Julius Lamar, Steven Compton and Tommy J. Hartshaw said during recent depositions that Baker "did not directly or indirectly participate in any robbery or assist in a robbery at the scene or elsewhere." The three men added that they didn't see Baker rob or assault anyone with or without a firearm.

The Broward State Attorney's Office dropped all charges after "the alleged victims and the known witnesses have become uncooperative and their credibility is inalterably tarnished," assistant state attorney Paul R. Valcore said in a statement.

The state had already moved to hold one witness in contempt of court for refusing to answer questions, and the defense moved to have one victim held in contempt for failing to appear for a deposition.

All four alleged victims had previously given sworn statements that they were paid to recant their initial sworn statements against Dunbar. Combined, the four men say they were paid a total of $55,000, according to a previous report by the New York Daily News.

Cohen had publicly expressed concerns about the credibility of the witnesses in the case from the start.

"Knowing that you have admitted liars -- admitted liars, there is no way to cut around it or change the story. They are, at best, admitted liars and convicted felons. You have four guys that are convicted felons and admitted liars. You filed based on their word against a guy that has no criminal history, always gives back to his community," Cohen told ESPN in August. "I wish I could think what they're thinking, but it's an impossibility. It's such bad judgment that you can't even put yourself into their shoes to imagine what he was thinking to file this case."

If convicted, Baker could have faced a mandatory minimum of 10 years and up to life in state prison.

With his legal problems in the past, he is hoping to return to the NFL, a source close to the former Giant told ESPN. Baker has been working out recently in South Florida.

In a statement released to multiple media outlets, the NFL said Baker remains subject to league discipline pending the results of its investigation but that he is free to sign with any team.

Baker was a first-round pick last year out of Georgia. The Giants traded up to get him, despite at least two teams telling ESPN last spring that there were red flags about him. Baker then had a rocky rookie year: Two players described Baker as a "handful" last season, and he was benched late in the year after then-coach Pat Shurmur called him out in front of the team for a lack of effort. Baker finished his rookie season with 55 tackles and no interceptions.

[Reply]
HonestChieffan 06:51 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Here we go.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-deandre-baker
So....if he is cheap, take a flyer and if he is a headcase as it sounds like he is, boot him. if hes a good citizen, all good.
[Reply]
RealSNR 06:54 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by :
Baker was a first-round pick last year out of Georgia. The Giants traded up to get him, despite at least two teams telling ESPN last spring that there were red flags about him. Baker then had a rocky rookie year: Two players described Baker as a "handful" last season, and he was benched late in the year after then-coach Pat Shurmur called him out in front of the team for a lack of effort. Baker finished his rookie season with 55 tackles and no interceptions.
Okay, so that's way more concerning than the off the field shit, in my opinion. No, I didn't pay attention to the Giants, so it's news to me that his on-the-field play was unspectacular, and his presence in the locker room was slightly concerning.

Yes, I understand he's totally worth bringing in on a cheap contract to see if he can turn things around in a different environment. I hope the Chiefs DO sign him and find out if they can strike it rich. That's not the point. Half this thread is a discussion about the positions the Chiefs could target in the first round of next year's draft because getting Baker means we don't need to spend a first rounder at the position.

Each year, the NFL's cutdown day is a graveyard of the careers of dudes who have "all the talent." This a guy who has/had "all the talent." That isn't worth much in the NFL. In fact, if I had to put money down, I'd say he won't become anything more than CB depth for us.

That's not me being a hater, either. I'm just looking at history in cases like these and noting that the Chiefs bringing Baker aboard means precisely jack and shit in terms of who they're going to draft in 2021.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:56 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
You can but throughout the Mahomes era his worst games were against very good pass rushes. Rams game where he turned it over a bunch, most of the 49ers game and most recently the Chargers game.

Not saying to draft an OL in the 1st unless there’s a really good player that falls, but I’d like to use a 2nd on one considering it would be the very last pick before the start of the 3rd rd.

I’m not fond of Reiter and Wylie anymore unless they are backups. Would be nice to get a new C next year. Based on rumors they liked that C from Michigan. I know it’s just a rumor but I believe it.
Everybody struggles against the Rams. When you have talent across the front like the 49ers and Chargers, no amount of offensive line investment is going to cure all because there's going to be a weak link somewhere and they'll find it and exploit it.

I don't disagree with upgrading the o-line but you can't get into an arms race. The surest way to keep Mahomes upright is to get the ball out of his hands. To do that, you need more playmakers on the outside.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:59 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
He's visiting the Chiefs but right now, he's on the Comissioner's exempt list. How would one get off that list? From what I can see, the exempt list means that the player (Baker) is not counted toward any NFL roster. It also seems that Baker's placement was indefinite. So does that mean that Goodell is the only one who decides if he's off the list? Would NFLPA push Goodell to let him sign since he's been cleared of all charges? Interested in the steps going forward.
He's on the exempt list and only the Commish can take him off.

As for the criteria, nobody really knows for sure. It's completely arbitrary and up to Goodell.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:02 PM 11-17-2020
The Giants had massive issues with Baker and Beal, maybe they just suck at coaching secondary?
[Reply]
kccrow 07:23 PM 11-17-2020
I liked the kid coming out. Count me as one hoping he rehabs himself here in KC.
[Reply]
wazu 07:24 PM 11-17-2020
Okay, so that's way more concerning than the off the field shit, in my opinion. No, I didn't pay attention to the Giants, so it's news to me that his on-the-field play was unspectacular, and his presence in the locker room was slightly concerning.

Yes, I understand he's totally worth bringing in on a cheap contract to see if he can turn things around in a different environment. I hope the Chiefs DO sign him and find out if they can strike it rich. That's not the point. Half this thread is a discussion about the positions the Chiefs could target in the first round of next year's draft because getting Baker means we don't need to spend a first rounder at the position.

Each year, the NFL's cutdown day is a graveyard of the careers of dudes who have "all the talent." This a guy who has/had "all the talent." That isn't worth much in the NFL. In fact, if I had to put money down, I'd say he won't become anything more than CB depth for us.

That's not me being a hater, either. I'm just looking at history in cases like these and noting that the Chiefs bringing Baker aboard means precisely jack and shit in terms of who they're going to draft in 2021.
Yeah I think I'm out.
[Reply]
Wilson8 07:29 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The Giants had massive issues with Baker and Beal, maybe they just suck at coaching secondary?
Also Kansas kid that played at Washburn University, Corey Ballentine.

Giants drafted him in 6th round in 2019 then cut him a couple of weeks ago.

The Jets that had the first choice off of waivers, picked up Ballentine.
[Reply]
TribalElder 07:49 PM 11-17-2020
These are the good years

I remember when that douchebag Larry Johnson was all about New York, trying to front like he was from NY and constantly trying to push the NY narrative when he was in KC

Now KC could land any player on either one of the NY teams

my how times have changed

lets win more superbowls!
[Reply]
carcosa 07:51 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Need more posts in this thread by the time he gets to KC......
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:53 PM 11-17-2020

Winning, and more importantly, a winning organization, with plus coaching and a locker room full of winners cure a lot of ills.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 43
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Up