ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 221
« First < 45678 91011121858108 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
loochy 03:47 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by NewPhin:
My biggest was actually on the Little Read, and it was around 26". Not a giant by our standards, but still a very big fish.
That's plenty huge to me. I normally fish tiny mountain streams, so I'm used to 10 inch brookies and rainbows. My biggest ever is a 16 inch rainbow. I've never had the joy of trying to net a giant on a tiny 7x or so tippet.
[Reply]
loochy 03:48 PM 02-26-2010
This thread is seriously lacking in pictures. Let's see your best catches! I'll try to upload some of my own once I get home.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 04:19 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by loochy:
This thread is seriously lacking in pictures. Let's see your best catches! I'll try to upload some of my own once I get home.
I've posted this before but here it is again.
44# flat head.
Caught May '06 on a perch at Wilson County Lake (a.k.a. Buffalo Lake to the locals).
Attached: Monster that used to lurk the deep 1.JPG (267.2 KB) 
[Reply]
loochy 04:21 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
I've posted this before but here it is again.
44# flat head.
Caught May '06 on a perch at Wilson County Lake (a.k.a. Buffalo Lake to the locals).
Big and nasty
[Reply]
Radar Chief 04:28 PM 02-26-2010
The first Guys Weekend in several years that I skip and this is what they came up with.
The big one is a 35# blue with several smaller blues and channels on the stringer. They were caught jugging Sweet Water Cove at Grand Lake, OK and from what I was told they were all very, very tasty.
Attached: Guys Weekend cats #2.jpg (124.8 KB) Guys Weekend cats #1.jpg (113.6 KB) 
[Reply]
Radar Chief 04:30 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by loochy:
Big and nasty
And delicious.
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 05:01 PM 02-26-2010
Here's something I put together from my Canada trip last summer. Most of the fish pics are at the end of the video. Not any trophies but lots and lots of keepers.

[Reply]
Easy 6 07:47 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
YES1!! I knew it could be done with a lil help from yourself & the Planet.

Heres an instructional vid for some of you who may not know how to, i love my skinner pliers that ol Dad left me, took a few times to use them right but like this guy says they're great to have...

[Reply]
Dartgod 09:36 AM 03-04-2010
Headed to Bennett Springs tomorrow and the weather couldn't be better for slaying many rainbows.

Friday - Sunny and 56
Saturday - Cloudy and 57 (slight chance of showers. I have rain gear and don't care.)
Sunday - Partly Sunny and 62
[Reply]
Rooster 09:43 AM 03-04-2010
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Headed to Bennett Springs tomorrow and the weather couldn't be better for slaying many rainbows.

Friday - Sunny and 56
Saturday - Cloudy and 57 (slight chance of showers. I have rain gear and don't care.)
Sunday - Partly Sunny and 62
Sounds like fun. Good luck.
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 03:44 PM 03-23-2010
I just ordered my first fly rod and reel. It's a beginners kit actually. Looking forward to messing around with it.

Went with this combo which was the highest rated for beginners by Outdoor Life.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...-catfeatflyfsh

Any seasoned fly fishermen have any tips or tricks to share for a beginner?
[Reply]
NewChief 03:48 PM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg:
I just ordered my first fly rod and reel. It's a beginners kit actually. Looking forward to messing around with it.

Went with this combo which was the highest rated for beginners by Outdoor Life.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...-catfeatflyfsh

Spend the money on a good fly line. Hire a guide for a trip somewhere and sponge up everything he can teach you. If you have any specific questions about flies, techniques, or anything of that nature I'll be happy to help.
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 06:16 PM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by NewPhin:
Spend the money on a good fly line. Hire a guide for a trip somewhere and sponge up everything he can teach you. If you have any specific questions about flies, techniques, or anything of that nature I'll be happy to help.
So the Scientific Anglers Mastery Series fly line that comes with it is garbage? I bought the 8'6" in a 5 weight. What line would you recommend?
[Reply]
NewChief 06:19 PM 03-23-2010
So the Scientific Anglers Mastery Series fly line that comes with it is garbage? I bought the 8'6" in a 5 weight. What line would you recommend?
No. SA Mastery is an acceptable line. In all honesty, I didn't look at the kit breakdown. Most kits come with a garbage line made for that company.
[Reply]
Groves 08:01 PM 03-23-2010
I'll just second what the others have said. If you're just starting out flycasting, it's not hard to do at all, but it's not something that can be learned by watching someone else unless that person is also telling you what he's doing and when and why.

With someone teaching you, it's very easy to pick up.

If you're in Springfield, lemme know.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 221
« First < 45678 91011121858108 > Last »
Up