ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 9
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Need recommendations on Fish
Chief Roundup 11:35 AM 09-19-2020
So I need some recommendations from those who eat fish regularly.
I am not a fish eater. If fish has a strong pungent smell I can't get it past the nose. I do like Tuna fish sandwiches though.
I don't really eat seafood either. It is expensive to just try and then possibly, probably with me, throw it away because I couldn't get past the smell or texture.
The only time I have ever enjoyed Shrimp was taking them straight from the skillet where they were being cooked in butter. Once they were just a little cooler the texture changed, rubberish, and I could not eat them.
I also need to know what is the best spices to use for cooking fish.
Yes I got my blood work back and my LDL is still to damn high.
[Reply]
Sorce 12:07 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Rate these options for me please

Cod

Halibut

Salmon

Tuna

Tilapia
Cod and Halibut are similar and kind of a blank canvas. They are good for battering and frying. Tilapia can be fishy at times but blackened or lemon is the way I would go there. Not a salmon fan, except smoked but that is cured and raw. Tuna there is a difference between the stuff in a can and a tuna steak. Steaks you want to eat rare with a quick sear on the outside.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Donger 12:08 PM 09-19-2020
Is there any other fish that people turn into a sandwich?
Lol yes.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:09 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Assuming you mean by 'fishiness' scale:

Tilapia
Cod
Tuna or Halibut
Salmon

In terms of flavor and texture:

Halibut
Cod
Tilapia
Salmon
Tuna-this fish is so lean it tends to get dry during cooking very quickly, so for me I usually just sear, so the middle is rare, which may not be your thing. Cooked-through tuna is not something I've eaten in several decades.
This stuff makes me wonder.
I like Tuna and it does not seem all that fishy smelling to me at least in the store. In the store the Tilapia seems to be one of the smelliest. Maybe it is the the "section" that I am noticing. :-)
[Reply]
EPodolak 12:09 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Perhaps start out with something like tilapia? Very mild taste.
Good choice. For non-fish eaters breaded white fish like cod is probably best. Slather on some tartar sauce.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:11 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
Good choice. For non-fish eaters breaded white fish like cod is probably best. Slather on some tartar sauce.
If this is about his heart health he's going to have to sear, bake, grill or steam it.
[Reply]
Sorce 12:11 PM 09-19-2020
Is there any other fish that people turn into a sandwich?
The filet o fish.

[Reply]
Sorce 12:13 PM 09-19-2020
Also maybe think about crab or scallops. Shrimp get rubbery when overcooked.

[Reply]
Megatron96 12:17 PM 09-19-2020
This stuff makes me wonder.
I like Tuna and it does not seem all that fishy smelling to me at least in the store. In the store the Tilapia seems to be one of the smelliest. Maybe it is the the "section" that I am noticing. :-)
Tilapia has a bit more oil in it than tuna, IIRC, which is where the fish smell comes from.

Part of it may also be the quality of the fish. Fresh fish doesn't tend to be fishy smelling, in general. But bacteria grows on fish very quickly and its waste products create that strong fishy smell. Some of this can be rectified by simply squeezing some citrus on the fish, which effectively washes off the bacteria and its waste. Rinsing in a salt solution will do the same. Living here in AZ with limited access to truly fresh fish has made rinsing any store-bought fish in a little salt solution with a couple lemons squeezed in there a habit at this point. After the fish takes a 5 minute bath, I rinse in ice-cold water for a few seconds and prepare normally.
[Reply]
Pointer19 12:24 PM 09-19-2020
Mmm. Anybody want to make a Long John Silvers run?
[Reply]
srvy 12:31 PM 09-19-2020
What is better Slap ya mama, Tony Chachara or Louisiana?
Paul Prudhomme Seafood Magic makes all fish edible.

[Reply]
Megatron96 12:40 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Tilapia has a bit more oil in it than tuna, IIRC, which is where the fish smell comes from.

Part of it may also be the quality of the fish. Fresh fish doesn't tend to be fishy smelling, in general. But bacteria grows on fish very quickly and its waste products create that strong fishy smell. Some of this can be rectified by simply squeezing some citrus on the fish, which effectively washes off the bacteria and its waste. Rinsing in a salt solution will do the same. Living here in AZ with limited access to truly fresh fish has made rinsing any store-bought fish in a little salt solution with a couple lemons squeezed in there a habit at this point. After the fish takes a 5 minute bath, I rinse in ice-cold water for a few seconds and prepare normally.
Whoops, the salt bath includes a lot of ice, and about a tablespoon of salt for every quart-quart and a half of water. 3 tablespoons for a gallon or so. Enough to taste, not enough to make you gag.

Another fish I can recommend if you can get it (I just got some online) is barramundi, which tastes a lot like sea bass. Very mild white fish with a nice medium firm texture. Excellent pan seared.
[Reply]
frozenchief 12:40 PM 09-19-2020
I eat a lot of halibut and salmon. Salmon is fairly fatty and strongly flavored, although there are things you can do to soften the flavor. If you just eat it straight, you will get a lot of salmon flavor. If you have enough to can salmon, you can add soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and onion or jalapeños and some smoke powder. Those ‘lessen’ the salmon flavor. If you don’t can it, I would cut salmon into bite-size portions. Sauté with onions and mushrooms and some sage. Finish with heavy cream and serve over egg noodles.

Halibut is a more meaty fish. It is pretty steak-like in its firmness. Halibut is far more of a blank canvas that shows the flavors of other parts of a dish, but halibut can dry out very easily. As a white fish, there are a myriad of ways to deal with halibut from grilling to sautéing to broiling.

My favorite is to sous vide the halibut. Add a couple sprigs of sage or tarragon, a couple slices of lemon and about 2 tablespoons of butter. Sous vide at 122 degrees for about 30-45 minutes if the steaks are less than 1” thick, about 45-60 minutes if they’re over an inch thick. Use the juice from the sous vide bag to make an integral sauce with some stock. If you don’t have stock, use canned clam juice. To make the sauce, sauté some garlic, shallots or onions with some butter. Deglaze the pan with white wine or sherry. Once the wine is cooked down to a thick syrup, add the juices and stock and reduce by about ½. Finish with some butter or some cream. Not overdone, not fishy and it just melts in your mouth.

Cod is more flaky and fatty and is more typical of fish. Light flavored, I find cod is best fried in a beer batter. You can make beer battered halibut or salmon but I like cod best. To make a good beer batter, make sure the beer is really cold and use it quickly. In other words, don’t make your batter and then let it sit for a day. You want the carbonation. I also use a beer that is heavily malted, such as Alaska Amber. IPAs and bitter, hoppy beers don’t do as well. I also season the flour for my batter. I usually use salt, pepper, ancho chili pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and then whatever I feel like.

Because of Covid, travel restrictions to rural Alaska have really put a crimp in how much salmon and halibut I have in my freezer going into the winter. When we lived in the Bush, I’d say we ate salmon about 2 nights a week and halibut about 1 night a week. I’ve cooked those fish in more ways than I can count, so if you’ve got any more questions, let me know. I’m happy to help.
[Reply]
eDave 01:04 PM 09-19-2020
Old Bay.

And lemon cuts down on the "fishiness". Halibut is a very rich fish. I can only get through a few bites.
[Reply]
Pablo 01:07 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Old Bay.

And lemon cuts down on the "fishiness".
Love old bay. Especially on popcorn.
[Reply]
Pointer19 01:16 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Old Bay.

And lemon cuts down on the "fishiness". Halibut is a very rich fish. I can only get through a fee bites.
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Love old bay. Especially on popcorn.
French fries with Old Bay is delish
[Reply]
Page 3 of 9
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up