ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>James Palmer: Tarshawn Wharton “almost a lock” for the 53.
Direckshun 08:02 PM 08-30-2020
Well I didn’t see that storyline coming.

I’m told one name that continues to pop up with people inside the #Chiefs building is Tershawn Wharton. The undrafted free agent from Missouri Science and Tech seems almost a lock to make the the teams’ 53 man roster. Great local story.

— James Palmer (@JamesPalmerTV) August 31, 2020

Wharton ran with the 2s in that practice Saturday.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:37 AM 08-31-2020
We are as a whole, are pretty connected on what is happening on our team, yet most of us have never heard of him. Why would a national reporter care who is the 53rd player to make the roster? Are the Chiefs that big now nationally?
[Reply]
oldman 08:53 AM 08-31-2020
Well, it was a slow news day. But to answer your question, yes we are. Winning a SB helps.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:10 AM 08-31-2020
Wish we coulda seen him in the preseason. Hard to tell much from that video but it looks like he's plays with some speed and agression.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:11 AM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Wish we coulda seen him in the preseason. Hard to tell much from that video but it looks like he's plays with some speed and agression.
Yeah, guys like this really got hampered by not having a preseason.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:23 AM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
He’s a DT.
I don't think Speaks gets cut for a long-shot like Wharton.

Buuuuut - If he stays, it won't be because of his position. Wouldn't you say that Wharton, as an undersized DT who can probably play DE in a pinch, is very similar to the sort of multi-role position that you expect Speaks to play?

If Speaks dropped a little weight while getting himself in better shape and Wharton added a little to become a viable DT, wouldn't that put both guys within spitting distance of each other? And at 6'4'' w/ solid athleticism, why would Wharton be any less likely to to play DE than 6'3'' Speaks?

Like I said - I doubt he takes Speaks spot on the roster, but in many ways they could easily be competing for reps in a similar sort of role as an inside pass-rusher/rotational DE.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:24 AM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I don't think Speaks gets cut for a long-shot like Wharton.

Buuuuut - If he stays, it won't be because of his position. Wouldn't you say that Wharton, as an undersized DT who can probably play DE in a pinch, is very similar to the sort of multi-role position that you expect Speaks to play?

If Speaks dropped a little weight while getting himself in better shape and Wharton added a little to become a viable DT, wouldn't that put both guys within spitting distance of each other? And at 6'4'' w/ solid athleticism, why would Wharton be any less likely to to play DE than 6'3'' Speaks?

Like I said - I doubt he takes Speaks spot on the roster, but in many ways they could easily be competing for reps in a similar sort of role as an inside pass-rusher/rotational DE.
I was actually thinking the same thing. They essentially play the same position. Both of them would play DE and DT, depending on situation and package.

The question is whether Wharton could beat out a 2nd round pick that missed his entire 2nd season. I really doubt it. Teams give their high draft picks every chance to succeed.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:50 AM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Why would a national reporter care who is the 53rd player to make the roster? Are the Chiefs that big now nationally?
James Palmer works for the NFL Network, so his job is to cover all NFL teams and if IIRC, he was on the sidelines for several Chiefs games last season.

And once again, Albert Breer of SI features Tom Brady, Brian Flores and other Patriots while completely ignoring the Chiefs in his MMQB.

The guy is completely and utterly worthless.
[Reply]
Wilson8 02:14 PM 08-31-2020
Chiefswire.com says Tershawn Wharton is now 6-3, 290 pounds. They also write that he runs a 4.7, 40 yard dash, benches 225 32 times, has a 35" vertical, and 10' broad jump.

This would be a good story for him to make the Chiefs roster.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 02:19 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by Wilson8:
Chiefswire.com says Tershawn Wharton is now 6-3, 290 pounds. They also write that he runs a 4.7, 40 yard dash, benches 225 32 times, has a 35" vertical, and 10' broad jump.

This would be a good story for him to make the Chiefs roster.
Damn. He’s listed 255 on the Chiefs website.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:20 PM 08-31-2020
This would be super cool. I didn't think any undrafted FA would make a 53 this year.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:23 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
This would be super cool. I didn't think any undrafted FA would make a 53 this year.
WTF, how about the punter?
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:28 PM 08-31-2020
It's never a bad idea to try to develop physical freaks with solid work ethics.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:37 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Byron Pringle, Darrel Williams, Antonio Hamilton, Charvarius Ward, Daniel Sorensen, Ben Niemann, Mike Pennel, Nick Keizer, Andrew Wylie, James Winchester and Tommy Townsend were all undrafted free agents that will make the Chiefs in 2020, which make up 23% of the Chiefs roster.

There might be a few other guys that make the team as undrafted free agents as well.
[Reply]
Wilson8 04:09 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Damn. He’s listed 255 on the Chiefs website.
The 290 pound figure came from the Chiefswire.com interview with Wharton's personal trainer, Brett Eiskina.

His current 290 pound weight is not too hard to believe because in January of this year, Wharton weighed in at 280 pounds for the East West Shrine Bowl. He's not 6-3 though. His official measurement was 6-1.
[Reply]
Groves 04:21 PM 08-31-2020
So this is how it feels to have a guy from your alma mater potentially on your favorite football team.

Other than Rain Man, any other UMR (MO S&T) grads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up