ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2898 of 3903
« First < 1898239827982848288828942895289628972898 289929002901290229082948299833983898 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 06:45 AM 08-24-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It’s not two different strains. Technicality wise maybe But it’s different lineages of the same strain.

Also the second time they caught it they were asymptomatic and only found thru screening
They say the strain from the first infection was completely different than the second and not from the same lineage. The good news is he was asymptomatic the 2nd time unlike the first. The bad news is he got reinfected and they don't believe herd immunity will eliminate covid and that it will linger around like other coronaviruses. We will all have to probably take a vaccine every year for this I imagine.

Some main parts from the report, if someone wants to read it thoroughly. pic.twitter.com/JIC8coiML7

— Lilian Cheng (@cwylilian) August 24, 2020

[Reply]
dirk digler 06:56 AM 08-24-2020
What is interesting about the strains is that the first one is closely associated with what we are seeing here in the US and the patient had to be hospitalized but the other strain was more closely associated with England\Switzerland.

Makes me wonder now if we got the worse strain which is why we are seeing so many cases\deaths\hospitalizations and other countries aren't.
[Reply]
O.city 07:41 AM 08-24-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
They say the strain from the first infection was completely different than the second and not from the same lineage. The good news is he was asymptomatic the 2nd time unlike the first. The bad news is he got reinfected and they don't believe herd immunity will eliminate covid and that it will linger around like other coronaviruses. We will all have to probably take a vaccine every year for this I imagine.

We have HI to the common cold. It doesn't mean that you won't get it again though.

Just in this case he/she had neutralizing immunity to make the 2nd infection asymptomatic.

Calm down
[Reply]
O.city 07:44 AM 08-24-2020
Sars Cov 2 will never be eliminated from circulation. We all need to understand that.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:44 AM 08-24-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
What is interesting about the strains is that the first one is closely associated with what we are seeing here in the US and the patient had to be hospitalized but the other strain was more closely associated with England\Switzerland.

Makes me wonder now if we got the worse strain which is why we are seeing so many cases\deaths\hospitalizations and other countries aren't.
Item 450 I held my tongue on while everyone was moaning 'us 'merkins suck at everything, don't we.'
[Reply]
O.city 07:46 AM 08-24-2020
It's apparently a mutation in ORF8 which would theoretically help it evade an immune response.

So like I said, technically a mutated strain but still the same "bug". Usually, the mutated strains are gonna be less virulent/infectious so again, I don't think this is abnormal or anything to get up in arms about.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:05 AM 08-24-2020
Sars Cov 2 will never be eliminated from circulation. We all need to understand that.

Yeah that’s been obvious from the beginning. There’s a good chance many current coronaviruses started out as localized pandemics as well. I think people underestimate how often things like this have occurred throughout history.
[Reply]
O.city 08:08 AM 08-24-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Yeah that’s been obvious from the beginning. There’s a good chance many current coronaviruses started out as localized pandemics as well. I think people underestimate how often things like this have occurred throughout history.
At one point, every current virus did. It's how they work.

It'll eventually go endemic.

Yes, inevitably, we'll have people who will get it again. It's the way these things go. But, if you have a normal functioning immune system, you'll have recognition and likely your 2nd one will be very mild or asymptomatic. Look at this 2nd infection. It was attenuated by the immune system and the patient remains asymptomatic. Thats whats supposed to happen.

I'm not sure this really says much about vaccines as well.
[Reply]
O.city 08:25 AM 08-24-2020

A first case of #COVID19 reinfection from HKU, with distinct virus genome sequences in 1st and 2nd infection (142 days apart). Kudos to the scientists for this study.

This is no cause for alarm - this is a textbook example of how immunity should work.

(1/n) https://t.co/oekESn0Uhq

— Prof. Akiko Iwasaki (@VirusesImmunity) August 24, 2020

Heres a good breakdown.

I was also wrong on the initial HI claim to the common cold, so I'm gonna take my lumps on that one
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:50 AM 08-24-2020
We have HI to the common cold. It doesn't mean that you won't get it again though.

Just in this case he/she had neutralizing immunity to make the 2nd infection asymptomatic.

Calm down
As I said we will probably have to add the Covid vaccine to our yearly shot regiment. Depending on which vaccine we get it may or may not stop it completely but hopefully will give us enough protection to have very mild symptoms. The Moderna vaccine may be good enough to completely stop it since it is using mRNA but only time will tell.
[Reply]
Donger 09:01 AM 08-24-2020

Calm down
We do?
[Reply]
kgrund 09:04 AM 08-24-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
We do?
So you don't think everybody has had the common cold?
[Reply]
Donger 09:06 AM 08-24-2020
Originally Posted by kgrund:
So you don't think everybody has had the common cold?
Yes, everyone has. Now, where's the large scale (herd) immunity to it?
[Reply]
O.city 09:09 AM 08-24-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Yes, everyone has. Now, where's the large scale (herd) immunity to it?
Immunity is measured in levels (sort of) though. In this case, the patient had enough immunity to sterilize the infection with no symptoms. If we tested for other things we have immunity to, I'm guessing we'd find alot of asymptomatic patients carrying.
[Reply]
O.city 09:13 AM 08-24-2020
I'm gonna wait though, until the whole amount of info is analyzed here. If the patient didn't seroconvert the first time, that would explain some things and would tend to be more of an outlier on reinfection as most people mount one.

You've also got n=1 here so, lets not get to far ahead of ourselves.
[Reply]
Page 2898 of 3903
« First < 1898239827982848288828942895289628972898 289929002901290229082948299833983898 > Last »
Up