ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2852 of 3903
« First < 1852235227522802284228482849285028512852 285328542855285628622902295233523852 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:34 AM 08-14-2020
Maybe if young people thought about the great patriotic selfless sacrifices they're making then 11% of them wouldn't consider suicide.
[Reply]
loochy 10:41 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
70-80% are basically completely isolating, only going to the grocery store with masks, or outside activities
Say what now?
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:07 AM 08-14-2020
That's the whole theory behind 20-30% being effective herd immunity. That some segment of society has effectively removed themselves from the herd for now by isolating a lot more, and being careful when they are out.

Well also there's some buffer. So maybe it's like 60% work from home office drones like me - taking lots of precautions, who are very unlikely to get it unless they get complacent. Also retired/at-risk people who are being careful. Nursing homes have much better protocols now. Etc.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...avirus/614035/

This article makes a lot of the points. This is the first pandemic with massive social distancing. It's a whole new ballgame.
[Reply]
Donger 11:38 AM 08-14-2020
That's the whole theory behind 20-30% being effective herd immunity. That some segment of society has effectively removed themselves from the herd for now by isolating a lot more, and being careful when they are out.

Well also there's some buffer. So maybe it's like 60% work from home office drones like me - taking lots of precautions, who are very unlikely to get it unless they get complacent. Also retired/at-risk people who are being careful. Nursing homes have much better protocols now. Etc.

This article makes a lot of the points. This is the first pandemic with massive social distancing. It's a whole new ballgame.
For once, I hope Fauci is wrong:

Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that, because of a “general anti-science, anti-authority, anti-vaccine feeling,” the U.S. is “unlikely” to achieve herd immunity even after a vaccine is available.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:44 AM 08-14-2020
There's a lot of confusion on this. It all comes down to how you define "herd immunity".

1) Traditional herd immunity: enough people get it that the virus dies on its own w/o any special measures - 60-70% for covid, maybe more with overshoot. This value is endemic to the virus and the local population behavior and density. It assumes normal behavior.

2) Whatever you call what we're doing now ("effective herd immunity"?) where roughly 60% stay mostly isolated out of the "herd": cases drop, maybe we wait it out until a vaccine. This number is very malleable based on behavior.

The problem with 2 obviously is the virus never really goes away, people get complacent, then we get this slow burn back to traditional herd immunity.

So I don't think you ever get to virus over w/o a vaccine or traditional herd immunity. But it does explain this phenomenon where cases seem to start dropping once you hit 20-30% of the population infected. There just aren't that many more people in the pool who could potentially get it.

Hence my concern about schools opening up a new segment (parents, teachers, teenagers) to the pool that currently is mostly out of the pool (not all parents, but a good chunk of them). I know plenty of parents who are taking the virus very seriously and really don't want to send their kids back to in-person classes, but they're still having a really tough decision about what to do right now in places where schools are giving the either/or option.

Originally Posted by :
“COVID-19 is the first disease in modern times where the whole world has changed their behavior and disease spread has been reduced,” Britton noted. That made old models and numbers obsolete. Social distancing and other reactive measures changed the R0 value, and they will continue to do so. The virus has certain immutable properties, but there is nothing immutable about how many infections it causes in the real world.

What we seem to need is a better understanding of herd immunity in this novel context. The threshold can change based on how a virus spreads. The spread keeps on changing based on how we react to it at every stage, and the effects compound. Small preventive measures have big downstream effects. In other words, the herd in question determines its immunity. There is no mystery in how to drop the R0 to below 1 and reach an effective herd immunity: masks, social distancing, hand-washing, and everything everyone is tired of hearing about. It is already being done.

[Reply]
TLO 12:53 PM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Mo positive rate back down to 10 % for the last week so we're getting better
This is another one of those stats that you get a different number for depending on the source. The MO DHSS website says we're approaching 12%
[Reply]
O.city 01:15 PM 08-14-2020
There's a lot of confusion on this. It all comes down to how you define "herd immunity".

1) Traditional herd immunity: enough people get it that the virus dies on its own w/o any special measures - 60-70% for covid, maybe more with overshoot. This value is endemic to the virus and the local population behavior and density. It assumes normal behavior.

2) Whatever you call what we're doing now ("effective herd immunity"?) where roughly 60% stay mostly isolated out of the "herd": cases drop, maybe we wait it out until a vaccine. This number is very malleable based on behavior.

The problem with 2 obviously is the virus never really goes away, people get complacent, then we get this slow burn back to traditional herd immunity.

So I don't think you ever get to virus over w/o a vaccine or traditional herd immunity. But it does explain this phenomenon where cases seem to start dropping once you hit 20-30% of the population infected. There just aren't that many more people in the pool who could potentially get it.

Hence my concern about schools opening up a new segment (parents, teachers, teenagers) to the pool that currently is mostly out of the pool (not all parents, but a good chunk of them). I know plenty of parents who are taking the virus very seriously and really don't want to send their kids back to in-person classes, but they're still having a really tough decision about what to do right now in places where schools are giving the either/or option.

For sure

But I also think your 60% that are locked down is pretty optimistic atleast in our area it is. Kids and parents school aged haven’t been all locked down for sure. They’ve had summer baseball and other gatherings and here we are.

Again, Sweden never closed schools of those under 16 and are where they are. So we will see but based on everything that’s come out study wise I don’t think schools will be the mass casualty everything thinks
[Reply]
O.city 01:16 PM 08-14-2020
You’d have to look into mobility data and such to see movements but based on the Little I’ve seen once things open, people move around

A lot
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:19 PM 08-14-2020
Sweden reported cases dropping back towards zero:
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavir...n?country=~SWE

Interesting note: Sweden had almost exactly ONE month of what you could call a 'spike' in cases, then immediately dropped back to their previous reported case rate (under 1,000/day) and since JUL 8 they've averaged less than 500/day.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:25 PM 08-14-2020
You’d have to look into mobility data and such to see movements but based on the Little I’ve seen once things open, people move around

A lot
Google makes it kind of a pain to look back more than a month or so, but I was able to dig up the link to their mobility report from the end of March. At that point, they had the U.S. at -47% for retail, -22% for grocery, -51% for transit, and -38% for workplaces. By comparison, the most recent one was -15% retail, -4% grocery, -22% for transit, and -16% for workplaces. So very generally speaking, we're "social distancing" about half as much these days as we were during the full lockdown (though retail and grocery are less than half).

I wish they had restaurants in there. That's a big one that seems like it would be important to monitor.
[Reply]
Donger 01:28 PM 08-14-2020
Georgia school district reports 108 Covid-19 cases

The Cherokee County School District reported 80 confirmed cases of Covid-19 and 1,106 students and staff quarantined as a result of those cases, for the week.

That number is almost triple the number of students and staff that were confirmed Covid-19 positive the prior week and double the number in quarantine.

In the first two weeks of school, the district has reported a total of 108 confirmed cases of Covid-19 among students and staff. Last week, 28 positive cases of Covid-19 were reported and 563 were in quarantine.

On Wednesday, Woodstock High School announced it would temporarily close in-person learning after identifying 14 positive cases.

In-person classes are tentatively set to resume there on Aug. 31. In-person classes are also set to resume on Aug. 31 at Etowah High School, which also had to temporarily stop in-person learning on Tuesday.
[Reply]
O.city 01:31 PM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Google makes it kind of a pain to look back more than a month or so, but I was able to dig up the link to their mobility report from the end of March. At that point, they had the U.S. at -47% for retail, -22% for grocery, -51% for transit, and -38% for workplaces. By comparison, the most recent one was -15% retail, -4% grocery, -22% for transit, and -16% for workplaces. So very generally speaking, we're "social distancing" about half as much these days as we were during the full lockdown (though retail and grocery are less than half).

I wish they had restaurants in there. That's a big one that seems like it would be important to monitor.
Just people in general knowing what’s going on they’re gonna be cautious ish.

Which with all we’ve seen happen now I think we pretty much know is enough to control this without the need for lockdowns
[Reply]
O.city 01:32 PM 08-14-2020
You also don’t necessarily need HI to slow this thing down. The closer you get to it the slower it will go
[Reply]
TLO 01:34 PM 08-14-2020
You also don’t necessarily need HI to slow this thing down. The closer you get to it the slower it will go
Where did you see that number that showed Missouri was approaching the 10% mark?
[Reply]
O.city 01:37 PM 08-14-2020
https://twitter.com/drjarlov/status/...813125634?s=21
[Reply]
Page 2852 of 3903
« First < 1852235227522802284228482849285028512852 285328542855285628622902295233523852 > Last »
Up