ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2850 of 3903
« First < 1850235027502800284028462847284828492850 285128522853285428602900295033503850 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 09:24 AM 08-14-2020

Probing the robustness of the claimed effect of complete lockdown: a modeling artifact?https://t.co/MufHOxUTE3

From Vincent Chin, John Ioannidis, Martin Tanner, Sally Cripps

— METRICStanford (@METRICStanford) August 11, 2020

Not totally sure how I feel about this, need to digest and read again before I comment.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:25 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Most of those studies are using the ****ing cruise ship as their model and come out with a 25% MOE. Excuse me for not taking those models seriously.
I'm talking about the studies they did on whole towns in Germany and Italy.

Also we know IFR is generally from .5%-1% at least in the early days when people weren't socially distancing. You can use that to calculate the actual spread.

It always seems to come in around 10x actual cases vs. confirmed. Now it could be 5x sure. But it's not 1x.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:26 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
There's some interesting data about the 20-30 percent going around. I think or atleast hope it's correct. We'd be closer to the end of this than we think.

It doesn't mean we can open wide back to normal, but it would allow us to ideally get pretty close to it.
Kids going back to school is going to open up a whole bunch of new households who were otherwise socially distancing and not in the 20-30%.
[Reply]
Donger 09:26 AM 08-14-2020
There's some interesting data about the 20-30 percent going around. I think or atleast hope it's correct. We'd be closer to the end of this than we think.

It doesn't mean we can open wide back to normal, but it would allow us to ideally get pretty close to it.
If HI begins at 20 to 30%, and we are close to that, when would you expect cases to begin really dropping, and at what rate?
[Reply]
O.city 09:41 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
If HI begins at 20 to 30%, and we are close to that, when would you expect cases to begin really dropping, and at what rate?
Honestly, I don't know.

I would think it would be similar to what we saw in NYC and are seeing in Houston and Miami at this point, or atleast are beginning to see.

I hate to bring it up again, but Sweden might be an example of how we'd see it drop once it hits that rate as thats about where they're seroprevalance puts them at.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:41 AM 08-14-2020
It's tough because some areas are probably close to it while others aren't, so making a blanket statement about where "we" are isn't really all that informative.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:42 AM 08-14-2020
Honestly, I don't know.

I would think it would be similar to what we saw in NYC and are seeing in Houston and Miami at this point, or atleast are beginning to see.

I hate to bring it up again, but Sweden might be an example of how we'd see it drop once it hits that rate as thats about where they're seroprevalance puts them at.
At this point, I think Belarus is a better example. They did jack shit. Sweden did (and is doing) a lot, even if it wasn't as extreme as what everyone else did.
[Reply]
O.city 09:43 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Kids going back to school is going to open up a whole bunch of new households who were otherwise socially distancing and not in the 20-30%.
I just don't think so, if thats all we relax. We've not seen that else where really yet
[Reply]
O.city 09:43 AM 08-14-2020

Don't be put off by the giant nose - it's a great piece. A way back to normalcy in weeks, not years?

Thank you @alexismadrigal and @yayitsrob for this and everything.https://t.co/i77lZgiJpL

— Peter Walker (@PeterJ_Walker) August 14, 2020

Long read but good one.
[Reply]
O.city 09:45 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's tough because some areas are probably close to it while others aren't, so making a blanket statement about where "we" are isn't really all that informative.
Yeah, it's just such a large ass diverse area we're looking at.

There is a great breakdown statistically of Louisiana. They were thought to have a 2nd peak, but when broken down, it wasn't a "2nd" one as much as it's just areas not been hit getting their first.

No where has really had a 2nd wave yet so that gives me hope that immunity is playing some part.
[Reply]
Donger 09:47 AM 08-14-2020
At this point, I think Belarus is a better example. They did jack shit. Sweden did (and is doing) a lot, even if it wasn't as extreme as what everyone else did.
I hadn't looked at them until now. I haven't seen a curve like that any where else.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:49 AM 08-14-2020
I hadn't looked at them until now. I haven't seen a curve like that any where else.
Yeah, I hadn't paid much attention either until I ran across this site:

https://ourworldindata.org/policy-responses-covid

If you scroll back and forth on the map, you'll see the Belarus is the only country in the world that stays yellow the whole time. I'm kind of surprised they haven't been more of a focus, though I don't know if there are data quality issues there or something that make it a non-ideal case study.

EDIT: And Nicaragua as well it seems. Haven't dug into them much, but they stay yellow as well.
[Reply]
stumppy 09:55 AM 08-14-2020
Yeah, I hadn't paid much attention either until I ran across this site:

https://ourworldindata.org/policy-responses-covid

If you scroll back and forth on the map, you'll see the Belarus is the only country in the world that stays yellow the whole time. I'm kind of surprised they haven't been more of a focus, though I don't know if there are data quality issues there or something that make it a non-ideal case study.

EDIT: And Nicaragua as well it seems. Haven't dug into them much, but they stay yellow as well.

I don't know how much I'd trust any info coming out of Belarus.
[Reply]
Donger 09:57 AM 08-14-2020
Any attempt to get coronavirus herd immunity would lead to massive death tolls, Fauci warns

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/14/healt...day/index.html
[Reply]
O.city 09:59 AM 08-14-2020
Yeah, that CNN article is kinda blah.

If it takes 70-90 percent to get there, we're a ways off but we'd be seeing things in Belarus or Sweden, or Italy or anywhere thats opened up a little even after a spike go off the rails.
[Reply]
Page 2850 of 3903
« First < 1850235027502800284028462847284828492850 285128522853285428602900295033503850 > Last »
Up