ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Have you ever countered a job offer?
RunKC 12:22 PM 08-07-2020
Have you ever countered a job offer? If so, was it accepted or declined? Did you counter something besides salary?

Have you ever hired someone who countered your offer and did you accept or decline?

Any bad experiences with someone asking for too much?

I’m curious to hear your experiences. I’ve personally never done it before and my wife just got a new job and decided to counter.

She finds out today if it will be accepted so we’ll see.
[Reply]
Pointer19 03:16 PM 08-07-2020
How does this usually work? Are you sitting with your interviewer and bring up your negotiations, or do you wait until after the interview when you get a call offering you the job?

My folks are both self-employed, and I'm on a fixed salary so I really have no understanding of what "real" jobs are like.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:21 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pointer19:
How does this usually work? Are you sitting with your interviewer and bring up your negotiations, or do you wait until after the interview when you get a call offering you the job?

My folks are both self-employed, and I'm on a fixed salary so I really have no understanding of what "real" jobs are like.
It's after you're offered the job and salary. It's standard to get a few days to think it over, and it's typically not expected you'll immediately accept an offer when they call you.

Employers will typically give you a few days to initially think it over and ask any questions about benefits and what not, before accepting or counter-offering.
[Reply]
oldman 03:22 PM 08-07-2020
I have and when I was asked to justify my request, I pointed out that I had more time in the business than most of my counterparts were old, had actually done the work I was tasked to oversee, and was either #1 or #2 (out of 26) in results for the past 12 months. It was contract to hire, BTW. I didn't ask for the moon, but they gave me the extra week of vacation and the 15% bump over starting pay. It didn't hurt that all 3 of the groups I supported spoke in my behalf.
[Reply]
cwhocares 03:39 PM 08-07-2020
I was once told that when they (the company) want to hire you and you (the interviewee) want to work for them, EVERYTHING is negotiable. I have found that to be true in every job I applied for.
[Reply]
Otter 03:45 PM 08-07-2020
Countered with + $2500 a year and wound up with a mini Snickers bar from the employee lounge.

I was the cock of the walk that day.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 08-07-2020
Every job offer I've received or been in consideration for in the last 22 years I've countered. Sometimes major stuff, sometimes just a better title if I'm happy with the rest. Standard stuff as far as I know. I've never had negative feedback about countering. But, about 30% of the time they come back with thats our best offer.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:50 PM 08-07-2020
Update: all 3 items in her counter were accepted.

Sweet!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:54 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:

Sweet!
Fantastic! Congrats! :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:13 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:

Sweet!
Obviously should have asked for more.

:-)
[Reply]
eDave 04:20 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:

Saul Goodman.
[Reply]
kc rush 04:33 PM 08-07-2020
I have for vacation days each of my last few job offers and I have asked for moving expenses a couple of times. Worked each time.
[Reply]
eDave 04:34 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
Countered with + $2500 a year and wound up with a mini Snickers bar from the employee lounge.

I was the cock of the walk that day.
Fantastic! Congrats!
[Reply]
TribalElder 05:05 PM 08-07-2020
typically get extras

time off
flexibility to wfh
company credit card etc
[Reply]
underEJ 06:29 PM 08-07-2020
Ha ha! Two years ago, I offered to take a pay cut in my new contract in exchange for working from home 50% of the time. They were not ready to do that so instead, they gave me a nice raise and said maybe next time in order to keep me. Now, I am working at home 60%-100% depending on the weeks work, I am not going back to the old way, and I get to keep the raise.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 07:24 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:

[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up