ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Have you ever countered a job offer?
RunKC 12:22 PM 08-07-2020
Have you ever countered a job offer? If so, was it accepted or declined? Did you counter something besides salary?

Have you ever hired someone who countered your offer and did you accept or decline?

Any bad experiences with someone asking for too much?

I’m curious to hear your experiences. I’ve personally never done it before and my wife just got a new job and decided to counter.

She finds out today if it will be accepted so we’ll see.
[Reply]
Iowanian 12:46 PM 08-07-2020
Absolutely....that IS your opportunity to get ahead.

Just be reasonable in your counter, and you might be able to leverage something like more vacation.

I think it depends how in demand your skills are, what they have for options....it's tough to negotiate as a grocery store clerk, but I'll wager a surgeon could improve a lot from the initial offer.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 12:50 PM 08-07-2020
Many years ago...

I had a job making about 36K a year. The owner of another business called me and asked if I would come run his shop.
I said sure but it would take 50K and full benefits. He literally said, "Thats Extortion". I stuck to it anyways.
2 days later he called back and said 'Fine, you got it".

I have owned my own business for the last 16 years and have never had a tougher time getting a raise! LOL
[Reply]
Iowanian 12:52 PM 08-07-2020
I once countered with an offer for them to blow me because the offer was unacceptable....does that count?
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:01 PM 08-07-2020
As a small business, we offer what's fair to everyone else, so we don't negotiate our offers. We try to do right by people.

We did pull an offer from someone once because of a counteroffer. I don't remember the details at this point, but we'd confirmed the salary range in the interview and asked several questions about desire since the person had been a ski bum and we were concerned about their commitment. The person gave us the right answers, so we made the offer. The person then came back and asked for close to double the salary offer and wanted a short work week or seasonal work or something so they could ski. It made their interview come off as so dishonest that we just politely said they weren't a fit.
[Reply]
Chazno 01:01 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I once countered with an offer for them to blow me because the offer was unacceptable....does that count?
I would count it if they agreed or raised their original offer. lol
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:06 PM 08-07-2020
Clearly you were looking for an "employer with benefits" relationship while they wanted something different.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:07 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
As a small business, we offer what's fair to everyone else, so we don't negotiate our offers. We try to do right by people.

We did pull an offer from someone once because of a counteroffer. I don't remember the details at this point, but we'd confirmed the salary range in the interview and asked several questions about desire since the person had been a ski bum and we were concerned about their commitment. The person gave us the right answers, so we made the offer. The person then came back and asked for close to double the salary offer and wanted a short work week or seasonal work or something so they could ski. It made their interview come off as so dishonest that we just politely said they weren't a fit.
What a fucking moron. Him not you.
[Reply]
58-4ever 01:09 PM 08-07-2020
Yes, if you're an experienced professional, it's appropriate to counter. Be ready to eat crow at some large corporations, but smaller private companies will generally meet you in the middle. I've worked in some senior ops roles, so this is not out of line.

I'm in sales now, FYI
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:10 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Here is what my wife is countering:

Pay-5k more (very reasonable for her position)

Regular title to Sr level-she has a certification and 7 years experience including her last role as Sr

2 weeks vacation to 3 weeks-this should be easy. 2 weeks is awful.
Assuming that's not like a 15%+ ask, it seems pretty reasonable... I've heard people wanting like $20k+ more, which means they're either getting severely low balled or they lack self awareness.... and you'd never see that and would either have to be happy with half of that at most or counter with like $30k+, making it even more ridiculous.

I absolutely hate negotiating and haven't ever felt like I've needed to.... but, I totally get the argument that not nearly enough people do so. If you keep it reasonable, it really shouldn't cause any drama.... and if it does, it'll tell you something about that hiring manager.
[Reply]
58-4ever 01:11 PM 08-07-2020
depends... did they give you a handy or make you do all the work?
[Reply]
DJJasonp 01:12 PM 08-07-2020
If you know you are more than qualified for the job, and what you bring to the company, absolutely.

And as Dane mentioned, for a management position, even more so.

Dont counter with anything ridiculous, and be prepared to explain why you're worth the counter-offer amount/perks/etc.
[Reply]
58-4ever 01:12 PM 08-07-2020
I have always thought title negotiation was kind of weird, UNLESS there is a pay band attached to it. Getting a title for a title is a little odd. You can call me the Butt Boy if I get paid the most.
[Reply]
Iowanian 01:17 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Clearly you were looking for an "employer with benefits" relationship while they wanted something different.
I think the situation was more like this....

them: We love you. Please drive 5hrs to interview with us.
Me: OK. I'll see you at the designated time

{hot violinist plays the Gael from Last of the Mohicans in background as video sequence of interview questions answered with mind blowing, incredible answers}

Them:We love you. We'll pay $xx/hr...we know it's not really what we indicated in the salary discussion before you came.....but we have mandatory 80hr weeks right now, so with the extra hours you'll be in that range.

Me: This job looks pretty boring, I don't mind working a lot but......{insert diplomatic version of "blow me"}

....cowboy walks away into sunset in parking lot

Them...standing in window......."SHAAAAAAAAANE SHAAAAAAAAAAANE"
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:26 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by 58-4ever:
I have always thought title negotiation was kind of weird, UNLESS there is a pay band attached to it. Getting a title for a title is a little odd. You can call me the Butt Boy if I get paid the most.
Depends. Some organizations are weird. Like accounting you can’t be a supervisor unless you’ve been a senior.

You and I can be pragmatic. Some people have to operate within a framework or their heads explode. If it’s a strict hierarchy I get.
[Reply]
Dartgod 01:33 PM 08-07-2020
My current job started with 2 weeks PTO and I countered asking for 4. It was quickly accepted.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up