ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Have you ever countered a job offer?
RunKC 12:22 PM 08-07-2020
Have you ever countered a job offer? If so, was it accepted or declined? Did you counter something besides salary?

Have you ever hired someone who countered your offer and did you accept or decline?

Any bad experiences with someone asking for too much?

I’m curious to hear your experiences. I’ve personally never done it before and my wife just got a new job and decided to counter.

She finds out today if it will be accepted so we’ll see.
[Reply]
BeMyValentine 12:26 PM 08-07-2020
A job that requires a special skill should definitely negotiate a starting salary. I would say more employers expect a counter offer.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:31 PM 08-07-2020
Sort of.

I applied and put in the application that I required a certain salary amount.

They offered me the job at Step 1 which was well below that. I asked for the step listing, picked the one above what I asked for and countered with that.

Got the job.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:32 PM 08-07-2020
It’s Government work btw.....so that was the reason for the “sort of” answer.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:33 PM 08-07-2020
Yes. They wanted me to move to New York. I told them they were going to have to pay a lot more.

They paid me 10% less to stay put in Texas. :-)
[Reply]
phisherman 12:33 PM 08-07-2020
I've countered every job offer I've ever had and even companies that said they didn't negotiate ended up doing it. Fair disclosure here, since I graduated from college in 2000, I've had maybe 5-6 job interviews and received what I requested in counter offer for 4 of those.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:34 PM 08-07-2020
Here is what my wife is countering:

Pay-5k more (very reasonable for her position)

Regular title to Sr level-she has a certification and 7 years experience including her last role as Sr

2 weeks vacation to 3 weeks-this should be easy. 2 weeks is awful.
[Reply]
Donger 12:35 PM 08-07-2020
I would say mostly yes. If it's a sales position, it's a must.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:35 PM 08-07-2020
Sure. Salary, PTO, relocation, etc. Its all on the table. Sometimes it works out sometimes you can't agree.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:37 PM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Have you ever countered a job offer? If so, was it accepted or declined? Did you counter something besides salary?
If she's in management, always counter the offer.

Also, know your work.

Have you ever hired someone who countered your offer and did you accept or decline?
I've never had anyone counter my offer with a lower salary.

As a general rule, companies tend to offer their bottom dollar salary, so more likely than not, they'll come off that number if they feel like the employee will make a difference.

Any bad experiences with someone asking for too much?
In terms of a "job", the answer would be a hard "No".

Now, in terms of music licensing, yes, I've declined because the job didn't pay enough for the amount of time it would take to create the cue or song but declining didn't affect my relationship with said company and I still do plenty of work for them.

The bottom line is this: Know your value. If you're willing to work for less than your value, you're doing yourself a major disfavor because once you've accepted a lower paying job, that's your worth moving forward.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:41 PM 08-07-2020
Here is what my wife is countering:

Pay-5k more (very reasonable for her position)

Regular title to Sr level-she has a certification and 7 years experience including her last role as Sr

2 weeks vacation to 3 weeks-this should be easy. 2 weeks is awful.
Doesn’t sound like anything unreasonable.

I’ve always heard to counter for more than you actually want. That way when they counter again....you feel good accepting it if it’s what you actually wanted.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:42 PM 08-07-2020
Yes.
[Reply]
ChiTown 12:43 PM 08-07-2020
It's generally about leverage. If you have it, it's a no-brainer to counter. If you don't, you are just gambling.
[Reply]
digger 12:43 PM 08-07-2020
I countered, the counter was rejected, but was still offered the original and accepted.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:43 PM 08-07-2020
I've countered my last two jobs for $3k more simply by telling them I have no plans to use their insurance policy since we use my wife's. I've succeeded in both cases.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up