ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 17
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Media Center>Spinoff: Bands you regret seeing live
Mephistopheles Janx 08:09 AM 08-02-2020
In 2015 I had the distinct displeasure of seeing Blues Traveler at Red Rocks for 4th of July. I'd loved Blues Traveler since I was a teenager and the song Hook came out. I loved the album Four. I loved their sister band the Spin Doctors.

Hanson was the opening act. They were garbage just as one might anticipate.

Guster was the middle act and they were FANTASTIC.

Then Blues Traveler hit the stage and I was ready to be 14 again. Instead, the dude forgot a shit ton of lyrics, was constantly out of breath, and to make matters worse... he brought out Rome from "Sublime with Rome" (an abomination before God and man) and STARTED DOING SUBLIME COVERS.

Fuck John Popper and fuck Rome.
[Reply]
KurtCobain 07:05 PM 08-03-2020
Anthrax in 2012 was terrible.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:15 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by underEJ:
Ha ha! I'm sure all bands have drama, but I used to live around the corner from the Guitar Center on Sunset and on three separate occasions I saw Poison have gigantic band fights right there on the sidewalk and once in the Denny's on the same block. The band and some management and a few crew guys or friends or something just having it out. No one ever hit anyone, but they did alot of stupid posturing. It was certainly more entertaining than I ever found their music to be.

I regret only Guns and Roses. Twice. Both times they cancelled. Once the were supposed to open for Iron Maiden at Kemper, cancelled, and Anthrax played. Anthrax was fun, but I was disappointed. Then they had their own Kemper show shortly after that was supposed to make up for the miss, and they flat out cancelled with no notice. Some bull shit or another happened and I never got a refund from the ticket people. I was pissed this time. Fair? Probably not, but too bad. Never tried to see them again.
There's a picture of Axl Rose next to the definition of "band drama". LOL
[Reply]
Spott 07:29 PM 08-03-2020
Red Hot Chili Peppers sucked when I saw them in the early 90’s when I saw them. I also regret seeing Metallica live in 92 after having seeing them twice during the And Justice for All tour. They completely changed their style and so even the old stuff they played in concert sounded cheesy.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:44 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
All you guys talking about 80's hair band singers and how bad they are now forced me to post this..:-)

I took my daughter to see Stryper a couple of years ago. Some of their recent stuff is pretty heavy and not as much of the soupy hair metal ballad crap and I was told they always put on a good live show.

Well, it just goes to show you how much vocal lessons are worth, plus as much abstinence from cigarettes and booze as one could muster.

Because even though Michael Sweet doesn't have the voice he used to (he's 60 years old) he still hit some amazing high notes and his voice was spot on all night, almost 2 full hours.

We saw them a month before Oz found out he had brain tumors and the rest of their tour got cancelled.
That’s no lie at all, got to see them in a VERY well packed club in STL just 3 years ago... their newer, heavier sound just works

Yahweh literally blew me away that night... it was pure metal, and that band is TIGHT
[Reply]
DeepPurple 07:44 PM 08-03-2020
Like I posted above, John Kay going solo without Steppenwolf is the worse show. The most unusual was 1984 Ted Nugent, but the opening act was Alcatrazz. It was singer Graham Bonnet, who wore a suit and tie with Yngwie Malmsteeen on guitar. Yngwie had his own pedestal stage up even with the singer and even slightly ahead and wore a velvet suit. You can tell 90% of the audience was watching Malmsteen and Bonnet was a bit peeved that maybe 10% were looking at him. The combed back hairdo and sunglasses and suit didn't help his look. They actually sounded good, just an odd sight to see and Graham Bonnet's voice has to be an acquired taste. He only knows one way to sing, loud and hard, he could never sing a ballad if he had to.

[Reply]
Frazod 07:53 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by underEJ:
Ha ha! I'm sure all bands have drama, but I used to live around the corner from the Guitar Center on Sunset and on three separate occasions I saw Poison have gigantic band fights right there on the sidewalk and once in the Denny's on the same block. The band and some management and a few crew guys or friends or something just having it out. No one ever hit anyone, but they did alot of stupid posturing. It was certainly more entertaining than I ever found their music to be.

I regret only Guns and Roses. Twice. Both times they cancelled. Once the were supposed to open for Iron Maiden at Kemper, cancelled, and Anthrax played. Anthrax was fun, but I was disappointed. Then they had their own Kemper show shortly after that was supposed to make up for the miss, and they flat out cancelled with no notice. Some bull shit or another happened and I never got a refund from the ticket people. I was pissed this time. Fair? Probably not, but too bad. Never tried to see them again.
My no-show story doesn't actually involve a concert. I saw Rush at the United Center in Chicago back in '96 with a co-worker who was a huge fan. She somehow managed to score us both excellent seats and passes for the after party. After the show (which was really good) was over, we were directed to go to an area behind the stage with everybody else who had a pass, where we waited. And waited. And waited some more. Finally, a guy came out and said the band had left and returned to the hotel, and basically that we were all shit outta luck. That was it. No party, no band, no fancy hors d'oeuvres, no scantily-clad groupies, and no explanation. Just sorry, get out. I guess Geddy and the guys just didn't feel like mingling with the little people that night. One of the people waiting was concert violinist Rachel Barton, a minor celebrity in her own right. It actually made me feel a bit better that even she got fucked over along with the rest of us.

Other than the waste of time, it didn't really bother me all that much. I wasn't a much of a Rush fan to begin with, and never would have went to the show in the first place on my own. But my friend was livid. She was also batshit crazy, which didn't help. She basically threw a toddler fit, and I had to listen to her rant and rave about it while she drove her car like a lunatic through the streets of Chicago all the way home, since I had ridden with her to the show. I've felt safer riding with people driving who were too drunk to walk. :-)
[Reply]
DeepPurple 07:57 PM 08-03-2020
...Because even though Michael Sweet doesn't have the voice he used to (he's 60 years old) he still hit some amazing high notes and his voice was spot on all night, almost 2 full hours...
I don't know if most fans know this, but Michael Sweet toured with Boston from 2007 to 2011.

[Reply]
backinblack 08:35 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Spott:
Red Hot Chili Peppers sucked when I saw them in the early 90’s when I saw them. I also regret seeing Metallica live in 92 after having seeing them twice during the And Justice for All tour. They completely changed their style and so even the old stuff they played in concert sounded cheesy.
I saw RHCP on their Stadium Arcadium tour and thought they were great, guess they got better with time.
[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 10:35 AM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by backinblack:
I saw RHCP on their Stadium Arcadium tour and thought they were great, guess they got better with time.
I guess it all depends.I'm pretty sure i saw RHCP once and it was when they had Dave Navarro in the band,which was def. not their peak.I thought it was a good show but i don't remember a whole lot about it.They do have a pretty rabid fanbase i guess,but most the people i know think they peaked a long time ago and don't like them much anymore.BSSM will always be my favorite album of theirs.As far as Metallica i find they always play a good show,i would've liked to seen them early on but i didnt until the Load tour,which i still thought thought was good even after they cut their hair.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:01 AM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
That’s no lie at all, got to see them in a VERY well packed club in STL just 3 years ago... their newer, heavier sound just works

Yahweh literally blew me away that night... it was pure metal, and that band is TIGHT
My daughter and I talked with dudes in the parking lot about how cool it would be if they opened with Yahweh and of course, they did. It was a small venue and it was LOUD.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:04 AM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Like I posted above, John Kay going solo without Steppenwolf is the worse show. The most unusual was 1984 Ted Nugent, but the opening act was Alcatrazz. It was singer Graham Bonnet, who wore a suit and tie with Yngwie Malmsteeen on guitar. Yngwie had his own pedestal stage up even with the singer and even slightly ahead and wore a velvet suit. You can tell 90% of the audience was watching Malmsteen and Bonnet was a bit peeved that maybe 10% were looking at him. The combed back hairdo and sunglasses and suit didn't help his look. They actually sounded good, just an odd sight to see and Graham Bonnet's voice has to be an acquired taste. He only knows one way to sing, loud and hard, he could never sing a ballad if he had to.

The funny thing is Bonnet didn't learn his lesson and took a gig with Chris Impelliteri right after. That last I believe one album before Bonnet went back to his roots, which certainly weren't Rainbow/Alcatrazz/neoclassical shred.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:05 AM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I don't know if most fans know this, but Michael Sweet toured with Boston from 2007 to 2011.

Yep. Styper also did a full album of 70's/80's metal covers called "The Covering" which has some great material on it. I'm especially partial to their rendition of UFO's Lights Out.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:06 AM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus28:
I guess it all depends.I'm pretty sure i saw RHCP once and it was when they had Dave Navarro in the band,which was def. not their peak.I thought it was a good show but i don't remember a whole lot about it.They do have a pretty rabid fanbase i guess,but most the people i know think they peaked a long time ago and don't like them much anymore.BSSM will always be my favorite album of theirs.As far as Metallica i find they always play a good show,i would've liked to seen them early on but i didnt until the Load tour,which i still thought thought was good even after they cut their hair.
Funny, to me One Hot Minute is probably their best album, and that one was with Dave.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 06:24 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
It's been a while since I've heard of such an awful 1-2 lineup.
How does one sell tickets (ticket?) to such a show?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:40 PM 08-04-2020
There's a picture of Axl Rose next to the definition of "band drama". LOL
I probably shouldn't share this story but what the hell.

So, by 1997, Axl spent around $10 million dollars recording Chinese Democracy but wouldn't allow anyone outside of his home studio hear what he'd been recording. I mean, no one, not even the record company.

Finally, Geffen threatened to cut off any more funding of the album until they heard something - anything - about what he was doing with all of the money. The head of Geffen decided to send one of their most successful A&R men up to his house in Malibu, to which Axl agreed (which he had to do or risk getting the funding cut off).

This guy signed several bands that went on to sell tens of millions of copies - household names to basically anyone that turned on MTV or the radio in the mid-80's to the late 90's. This dude knows music. So, Axl plays him everything he's got to that point and asked what this A&R man thought: "Well, there are a few songs in there but the entire project needs a lot of work, beginning with the songs". Axl was nice and polite and the A&R guy left with some serious information for the Prexy of Geffen.

The A&R guy goes to work the next morning and went to speak with the president "How did you think your meeting went?". The A&R guy went on to tell him about the tracks, which had potential, etc. and so on. "What did Axl say?" he asked. The response: "Oh, he didn't say much. But he did say that he wouldn't write another song if you weren't fired from the A&R department".

The A&R guy wasn't fired from Geffen but he was never allowed to speak with Axl again.

On a side note: There were so many guys in and out of the studio and with Geffen footing the bill, A Perfect Circle was formed and recorded, on Geffen's dime. After the record was done, their manager took it to Virgin Records, who gave them a $3 million dollar signing bonus and a huge record deal, despite the fact that Geffen actually paid for the album, which would have cost at least $1 million to record elsewhere.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 17
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up